Apple's Greenwich, Conn., store closed, deemed 'dangerous and unsafe'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has been forced to close its store in Greenwich, Conn., after an accident with the location's sprinkler systems flooded the store and left it "dangerous and unsafe for human occupancy."

A legal notice was spotted at the store this week and shared by reader Chris Southern with AppleInsider. The pink sign taped to the glass storefront is dated Tuesday, April 19, at 9:02 p.m., and it states that the building is in violation of Section 115 of Connecticut State Building Code.

Update: According to GreenwichTime, the building was shut down by officials after a sprinkler system accident was triggered by a cleaning crew on Tuesday night. The store will remain closed until further notice, and no timetable for reopening has been given.

Section 115 has a number of sections that refer to "unsafe equipment." It states that unsafe equipment cannot be operated after it has been declared unsafe by a building official. It also says that a building official can "seal equipment" and put it out of service if it is found to be unsafe.

Knowingly violating Connecticut building code Section 115 carries a fine of no more than $500, or a prison sentence of up to six months.

"All persons are hereby notified not to enter or make use of this structure as long as this notice remains posted," the sign posted at 356 Greenwich Ave. reads. Calls placed to the store Wednesday afternoon were met with a busy signal.

Apple built its store inside of an existing older brick building. AppleInsider shared exclusive photos of the construction in 2009.

Photo courtesy AppleInsider reader Chris Southern.

Apple's official page for the store makes no mention of its closing. Events like One to One, iPhone and iPad training and iMovie workshops remain scheduled for today and the coming days.

The Greenwich store opened in late 2009 in the U.S. hedge fund capital. It is located in a pricey destination that is home to many shops and restaurants.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Apple products are just too hot to handle!

• Reply 2 of 21
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    that BLOWS
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Must be a slow news day.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    So is this the opposite of a fire sale?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I wonder how many iPad2's are in there.

I wonder if once they have been deemed 'unsafe' what will be done with them.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Update: According to GreenwichTime, the building was shut down by officials after a sprinkler system accident was triggered by a cleaning crew on Tuesday night. The store will remain closed until further notice, and no timetable for reopening has been given.

Sprinkler system accident? Someone had too much of a party with their broomsticks I guess. I really wanna see the footage of what actually happened.

Quote:

Knowingly violating Connecticut building code Section 115 carries a fine of no more than $500, or a prison sentence of up to six months.

I would choose $500 any day.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Sprinkler discharge is really a pain. You have to clean and dry everything to prevent "indoor air quality" problems down the road, as well as clean out and dry all the electrical and communications conduits in the floor.

I thought Apple had mostly semi-recessed sprinklers though. Not as easy to activate with a ladder.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Next from Apple.

The iSnorkle.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Damn you, Ballmer.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    "Hey I wonder what happens when I hold a lighter up to this sprinkler."
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So is this the opposite of a fire sale?

Hahahahahahhahahahha

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I would choose $500 any day.

Presuming it's only the sprinkler head that is busted... it can be repaired quickly.... in a few hours. Cleaning up the mess from flooding is another story. Opening the doors to the public now would be good for short term profits... like for the next few days. But it would be bad PR which could have potentially negative effects.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    That's what insurance is for...
  • Reply 13 of 21
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:

a sprinkler system accident was triggered by a cleaning crew

Along the lines of “if Microsoft made cars, they'd break down every five minutes and need new engines every month,” if Microsoft were in the cleaning business…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eeclark View Post

Haven't you ever wondered where they get those products they put in the blenders? You don't think they use real working products, do you?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eeclark View Post

Big sale on water-damaged iPads. They'll be gone in five minutes.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

Along the lines of ?if Microsoft made cars, they'd break down every five minutes and need new engines every month,? if Microsoft were in the cleaning business?

What happened to ??and you?d have to climb in and out of the Windows to operate it??
  • Reply 16 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Duct tape! Ouch!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I would have expected a dry-pipe, pre-action system at the stores, but I guess they are at the mercy of the building owner.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I used to work in the Facilities Department for a Fortune 500 this is not fun. In addition dealing with some of the Fire Marshall's in some cities. Ego trip..
  • Reply 19 of 21
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Damn you, Ballmer.

Does he clean apple stores now?

Maybe disguised as a cleaning lady he tries to spy out how to run successfully his M$ Stores.

• Reply 20 of 21
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Just how much water was discharged to make the store unfit for human occupancy??