Mac sales up 25% in Americas, 76% in Asia

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tania View Post

76% growth in Asia? Wow. In most Asian countries Apple products are typically priced $100 or more than the US. Average income is much less than the US too.

In Hong Kong, Apple products are priced almost exactly the US retail price. We have no sales tax here. Go to any coffee shop, and 3 out of four laptops are now Macs.

I've got a 2009 MBP, I bought my daughter a 2010 iMac, and I'm getting my wife an 11" Air as soon as it's updated.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree.

People over here in the US are underestimating what's going on over there not just with the market potential for companies like Apple, but also in luxury goods, high-end cars, clean energy, aerospace, infrastructure spending, and so forth.

Word of mouth advertising is also huge in Asia, and people there love their tech toys just as much if not more than here.

Since Apple broke ground in the Chinese market, sales will soon mushroom.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I have been arguing this for some time now.

One thing I have noted is that the "halo effect" has a time lag. Macs started picking up a bit a year or so after the iPod rage took in, and growth really kicked in after a few years. Again the growth accelerated after the iPhone had been on the market for a year or two. I expect a similar effect will take place with the iPad.

People use an iDevice for some period of time before they begin to think "Hey, this is great. Maybe I should try a Mac." This is what I call the "Halo lag" (please feel free to quote me on the term).

My Halo Lag is a few months. After testing iPod Touch and seeing how my wife loves her iPhone4, I'm planning to buy an iMac. Big decision though 'cause you can always get PC with half a price at the same spec.

Launch Pad on Lion make my decision a bit easier. My wife could use it much like her iPhone.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Yes, having an Apple is a status symbol in China, but..

Puh-leeze! The truth is that barely anyone is running Mac OS X on their Macs in China. They are all running Windows. And there are only a few (official) Apple Stores in the whole country, so that isn't it either.

It's just a cool-looking computer!

It may help to read the post in its entirety. Let me know if I have to restate some key statements, I would be very glad to assist you.

Just consider this additional point, there are only four official Apple (Retail) Stores in China. And yet, Apple's revenue for the last quarter that could be attributed to China was more than $5 billion (more than 20% of quarterly revenue). That revenue does not include the "sales" of Apple products that could be attributed to China -- arising from the gray market.

And Apple is just starting its push in China. There's the potential that many posters are talking about. Not its current marketshare.

This applies not only to China though. The Apple (Retail) Store (brick and mortar), which is a key component of the Apple Ecosystems are still focused in a few (11) countries, usually one or two or just a few more, even in the most developed countries. Most are in the US, and a few in Canada. They are not even in all of the countries in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland), only in a few Asian and Oceanic countries (China, Japan, Australia), and no Apple Store at all in Latin (Mexico, Central and South) America and the Carribeans, Middle East or Africa.

The potential for growth, at a very low base, therefore is phenomenal.

Apple Ecosystems
  • Reply 25 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InfoDave View Post

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...PVGR3RlE&hl=en

IDC and Gartner data going back to 2004. Acer market growth for the last 6 quarters, 28.45%, 42.06%, 20.80%, 7.01%, -15.04%, -15.78%. Acer has basically declared a do-over. Google it, I'm not making it up. They are abandoning the netbook, and their first attempt at a tablet.

That was a very good find. Certainly worth bookmarking. Thanks. The USA marketshare numbers need to be updated from these numbers, assuming that all of them are actual, from the March quarter, or thereabouts. Except, of course, that they aren't in this spreadsheet.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

In Hong Kong, Apple products are priced almost exactly the US retail price. We have no sales tax here. Go to any coffee shop, and 3 out of four laptops are now Macs.

I've got a 2009 MBP, I bought my daughter a 2010 iMac, and I'm getting my wife an 11" Air as soon as it's updated.

Are you finding what TokyoJimu is saying to be correct, that is, that most Macs are running Windows, and that People are just buying Macs because they are a cool looking computer?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple-ecosystems View Post

With the increasing additional features of the Apple Ecosystem (Apps, Services, Apple Store, related products integration), the Macs products become even more attractive.

Apple Ecosystems

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

Puh-leeze! The truth is that barely anyone is running Mac OS X on their Macs in China. They are all running Windows. And there are only a few (official) Apple Stores in the whole country, so that isn't it either.

It's just a cool-looking computer!

Wow. That just seems off the charts ridiculous to me.... but then again, almost all fashion trends do. Running WIndows (for whatever reason, and there can be good reasons to do so), but run it on a Mac because the hardware loos cool. I.... I.... I.... I just can't wrap my head around it. Does not compute. Fashion.

Of course this works 2 ways. My friends who are fashionable... call me a dork.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

: So the new well educated and pocket heavy with credit cards are eager to set themselves apart from the peasant Windows PC users in China?

In Asia education has nothing to do with it. It's the new status symbol. If you are anybody you are buying up anything Apple. iPhone, iPad, Macs, the latest Android, the latest Blackberry, Louis Vitton bag, whatever.

It's all about showing off. Using it effectively is another question entirely.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiker275 View Post

Wow. That just seems off the charts ridiculous to me.... but then again, almost all fashion trends do. Running WIndows (for whatever reason, and there can be good reasons to do so), but run it on a Mac because the hardware loos cool. I.... I.... I.... I just can't wrap my head around it.

See my post above. In Asia quite a number of people want to show they are using a Mac but couldn't be arsed actually learning and getting the most from it. To be fair what I've seen is people using OS X but usually also installing Windows at the same time and switching between both.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple-ecosystems View Post

Just consider this additional point, there are only four official Apple (Retail) Stores in China. And yet, Apple's revenue for the last quarter that could be attributed to China was more than $5 billion (more than 20% of quarterly revenue).

Although there are only four Apple-owned stores, there are still many many Apple stores (vs. Apple Stores). Every mall seems to have at least one. These are official "Apple Premium Reseller" (or other official designation) shops and sell only Apple products. They are often as packed as Apple Stores back home. Same goes for Taiwan. I'm less familiar with Hong Kong.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by h.rav View Post

Here in Beiijing, the Airs are selling like hotcakes. I was also surprised to see how frequent the Airs are seen in the public.

How are the new MBP line selling in Beijing? from the 13 inch to the 17 inch 2011 models? thanks
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you finding what TokyoJimu is saying to be correct, that is, that most Macs are running Windows, and that People are just buying Macs because they are a cool looking computer?

I've not noticed anyone using Windows on a Mac, ever. There is quite a large Mac OS using community here.