Apple to begin production of Thunderbolt MacBook Airs next month

1235711

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 214
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    Get a USB 3G adapter if you need it. I'd rather not have it taking up space or consuming power on the motherboard, so why should I pay for it?



    Looking at the iPhone and iPad boards for this connectivity I think the overall gain compared to the space and cost to add a mini-PCIe slot with optional board would have a minimal impact on those who don?t need it.



    edit: From top to bottom: WiFi, GSM, CDMA:
    As you can see it?s about 1?x1.5? (2.5cmx3.8cm). The 3G boards are only attached to the mainboard by some screws and a surface-mounted ribbon cables, which are permanent.



    Everything else on the mainboard the same. There is a glaring difference in the manufacture and number of NAND chips, but that?s to be expected.



    Changing the surface-mounted ribbon cable to a slotted system would add some size, but we?re talking a minuscule amount.
  • Reply 82 of 214
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    the MBA like all the other subnetbooks are niche products. most people want 15" screens, faster CPU and more storage



    the people who buy them use them for email and work on the road, especially long flights



    15" screens? Have you ever flown on a plane?



    I for one have been waiting on this upgrade, I'm sold.
  • Reply 83 of 214
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post


    I am with you - I am needing a new iMac bad but keep hoping the Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt version is just around the corner. Unfortunately I do think Apple might deny off time for the Air since it has been so Hot - they want to raise the heat again and announcing the iMac at the same time would certainly take away from some of the shebang (even though they are definitely aimed at different users). Heres still hoping for those iMacs though "real soon now".



    New Imacs in the month of May. Macbook Airs in June or July. OSX Lion in August. Iphone 5 in September. Thats the way i sees it. :-)
  • Reply 84 of 214
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,058member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by travelguy View Post


    The option of putting in up to 8gb of RAM would be nice. A 15inch Macbook Air would be a wonderful addition to the Apple lineup.



    What would you do on an ultraportable that would need 8GB of RAM but not be bottlenecked by the ULV processors?
  • Reply 85 of 214
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    We have a clutch of MacPros, a MacBook Pro 15 with an ExpressCard34 slot, an iPad for manuals and on the road - the MacBook Air with Thunderbolt is perfect for me. Email yes, scripting yes, FileMaker work, real OS X on a machine not much bigger than the pad, and connectivity to future media storage for media management, logging etc - perfect. I'm in!
  • Reply 86 of 214
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,721member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Looking at the iPhone and iPad boards for this connectivity I think the overall gain compared to the space and cost to add a mini-PCIe slot with optional board would have a minimal impact on those who don’t need it.



    It would have more than a minimal impact in terms of cost for those who don’t need it. And that doesn't include a second (or third or fourth) monthly 3G data contract, since the wireless companies seem determined to make us pay per-device. With most current smart phones supporting wireless hotspots and wide availability of MiFi devices, I think you're less and less likely to see this built into the next MBA.
  • Reply 87 of 214
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I think MacBook pros are still a better deal then airs. Sure they are a bit bigger and heavier, but not by much in my opinion. If apple got rid of the MacBook line and made those into MacBook airs, say 999 for a 13 inch air, and maybe 899 for 11 incher I think they would be flying off the shelves.
  • Reply 88 of 214
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post


    the MBA like all the other subnetbooks are niche products. most people want 15" screens, faster CPU and more storage...



    Great post (assuming you're being sarcastic).
  • Reply 89 of 214
    chiachia Posts: 701member
    I wonder if all the posters clamouring for a 15 inch MBA realise that the current 13 inch MBA has the same screen resolution as the current standard 15 inch Macbook Pro?



    I myself went from a 15 inch Powerbook g4 with 1280 x 800 screen resolution to a 13 inch Unibody Macbook with the same screen resolution and not noticed any major difference in usability, but maybe my eyes are very good!
  • Reply 90 of 214
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post


    It would have more than a minimal impact in terms of cost for those who don?t need it. And that doesn't include a second (or third or fourth) monthly 3G data contract, since the wireless companies seem determined to make us pay per-device. With most current smart phones supporting wireless hotspots and wide availability of MiFi devices, I think you're less and less likely to see this built into the next MBA.



    What's your rational behind that? It's just a slot and space for a 1"x1.5"x0.1" board. That almost zero in terms of their entire machine.
  • Reply 91 of 214
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Looking at the iPhone and iPad boards for this connectivity I think the overall gain compared to the space and cost to add a mini-PCIe slot with optional board would have a minimal impact on those who don?t need it.



    edit: From top to bottom: WiFi, GSM, CDMA:
    As you can see it?s about 1?x1.5? (2.5cmx3.8cm). The 3G boards are only attached to the mainboard by some screws and a surface-mounted ribbon cables, which are permanent.



    Everything else on the mainboard the same. There is a glaring difference in the manufacture and number of NAND chips, but that?s to be expected.



    Changing the surface-mounted ribbon cable to a slotted system would add some size, but we?re talking a minuscule amount.



    You've obviously never seen the inside of an MBA. There just isn't much space. Would you rather have them leave out 20% of the battery capacity?



    It adds cost and energy usage for something which only a tiny percentage of users need. In addition, every extra port in the side of the machine is extra cutting - and weakens the device somewhat.



    Furthermore, it doesn't really save anything even for that tiny percentage. What difference does it make whether you carry a separate 3G PCIe card or a separate 3G USB device? So why should Apple add cost and reduce the battery size simply because some tiny percentage of users want to carry a PCIe device instead of a USB device?





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    15" screens? Have you ever flown on a plane?



    Sure. I've even used my 17" MBA on a plane. What's your point?



    I rarely take my computer out of its case on a plane, anyway. It's just too much hassle. I'm more likely to take my iPad out.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    I think MacBook pros are still a better deal then airs. Sure they are a bit bigger and heavier, but not by much in my opinion. If apple got rid of the MacBook line and made those into MacBook airs, say 999 for a 13 inch air, and maybe 899 for 11 incher I think they would be flying off the shelves.



    Maybe MBPs are better deals FOR YOU, but not everyone sees things the same way.



    I'm seriously considering two options: 1. iMac plus MBA or 2. MBP plus iPad. Either choice would probably suit my needs quite well and I'm not sure that there's a whole lot of difference - FOR ME. There is no clear cut "this is a better deal than that". Apple offers a wide range of systems for people with different needs.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post


    I wonder if all the posters clamouring for a 15 inch MBA realise that the current 13 inch MBA has the same screen resolution as the current standard 15 inch Macbook Pro?



    I wonder if all the people posting here realize that some posters are over 40 - and the same screen resolution is a lot easier to read on a 15" monitor than on a 13" monitor.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    What's your rational behind that? It's just a slot and space for a 1"x1.5"x0.1" board. That almost zero in terms of their entire machine.



    See above.
  • Reply 92 of 214
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    You've obviously never seen the inside of an MBA. There just isn't much space. Would you rather have them leave out 20% of the battery capacity?



    There isn?t "much space" in any of their notebooks. All the space is for something. Why you think that excludes making the space for a new component is silly.



    If they remove the ODD (which is going to happen, they will not adopt Blu-ray!) which does take up 25% of the 13? MBPs internal space they have plenty of room for a larger battery, a 2.5? HDD with a SSD card and other chips which still being able to make it smaller.



    PS: Where do you get that 1?x1.5?x0.1? is 20% of the volume of the MBA battery?
  • Reply 93 of 214
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    There isn?t "much space" in any of their notebooks. All the space is for something. Why you think that excludes making the space for a new component is silly.



    If they remove the ODD (which is going to happen, they will not adopt Blu-ray!) which does take up 25% of the 13? MBPs internal space they have plenty of room for a larger battery, a 2.5? HDD with a SSD card and other chips which still being able to make it smaller.



    PS: Where do you get that 1?x1.5?x0.1? is 20% of the volume of the MBA battery?



    I really wish you'd get your story straight.



    We're talking about putting an additional device into an MBA. What does removing the ODD from the MBP have to do with that? :roll eyes:



    You keep ignoring the facts:



    1. Even if Apple included that slot, users would still have to carry a PCIe card - which is not significantly smaller than a USB card. There's no advantage.



    2. Not everyone wants 3G on their laptop



    3. The device you're proposing takes up space. The MBA is very crowded inside - more crowded than most laptops.



    4. In addition to the space required for your card, there's also some lost space because of inefficiencies in packing. You also need to cut an extra (large) port in the side of the case. Even if you could make it fit (which isn't clear), it would weaken the case



    5. The device (along with installation costs and design costs and costs for cutting another hole in the case) costs money. Since users still need an external card, why should Apple spend the money?



    6. Whatever space is required would almost certainly come out of the battery size - which means a shorter run time and greater cost for all users. Why would Apple do that?



    7. Apple knows a lot more about designing computers and computer markets than you do. Apple hasn't included it - so obviously Apple agrees that the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages for any significant number of people.



    You're proposing a significant change. It is up to you to provide a justification as to why that change makes sense. So far, you haven't done that. All you've provide is "I want" and "I'm going to ignore all the disadvantages because their inconvenient to what I want".
  • Reply 94 of 214
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    I really wish you'd get your story straight.



    We're talking about putting an additional device into an MBA. What does removing the ODD from the MBP have to do with that?



    You keep ignoring the facts:



    Started off talking about the MBP, which is the machine I?d get. A MBA with a 3G card would be nice, too, but it?s smaller and therefore would need to come at the same time or after due to these factors, just like the need for a CULV processor and no backlit keyboard. So before you say it?s impossible for all notebooks first tell us why it?s impossible for the MBPs. That?s a fact.



    Quote:

    1. Even if Apple included that slot, users would still have to carry a PCIe card - which is not significantly smaller than a USB card. There's no advantage.



    Carry? You mean a installed card that weighs and ounce and takes up a fraction of the internal space is an issue when they are carrying their notebook? Seriously, Dude!



    Quote:

    2. Not everyone wants 3G on their laptop



    Nope, which is why I suggested mini-PCIe not something permanently installed, and clearly optional, just like in the iPad 2.. I don?t even like the fact the MBAs have RAM installed on the logic board making it impossible to upgrade.



    Quote:

    3. The device you're proposing takes up space. The MBA is very crowded inside - more crowded than most laptops.



    Define that that crap! All laptops are crowded. Apple?s notebooks higher TDP components have more room for airflow but that doesn?t mean it?s free space.



    It?s a strawman argument to suggest that there is no way to improve on the design, shrink or combine components or include something simply because they haven?t before. Just look at the 3G card in the iPad 2 over the 3G card in the original IPad. I think the 3G is first iPad is as big as the whole logical board in the iPad 2. If they incorporate the double-stacked silicon process they are using in their 2010+ iDevices then you gain a significant amount of space.



    Quote:

    4. In addition to the space required for your card, there's also some lost space because of inefficiencies in packing. You also need to cut an extra (large) port in the side of the case. Even if you could make it fit (which isn't clear), it would weaken the case



    Extra large part in the side of the case? WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!



    Quote:

    5. The device (along with installation costs and design costs and costs for cutting another hole in the case) costs money. Since users still need an external card, why should Apple spend the money?



    Hole in the case? External card? 4/20 was 3 days ago.



    Quote:

    6. Whatever space is required would almost certainly come out of the battery size - which means a shorter run time and greater cost for all users. Why would Apple do that?



    You made an assumption based on no evidence then posed a question as if it?s now fact. WTH?! Try to form a sound argument!



    Quote:

    7. Apple knows a lot more about designing computers and computer markets than you do. Apple hasn't included it - so obviously Apple agrees that the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages for any significant number of people.



    They do, and more than you. I know about what Apple has done and can do because you?ve ignored the history of their internal design. You don?t even know what a mini-PCIe card is. You keep thinking it?s external. I suggested that Apple, the largest procurer of NAND and designer of their own boards, could lose the casing around SSDs to make their own using mini-PCIe physcial connector. Guess what?! I bet you said, "Apple hasn't included it - so obviously Apple agrees that the advantages do not outweigh the disadvantages for any significant number of people."



    Quote:

    You're proposing a significant change. It is up to you to provide a justification as to why that change makes sense. So far, you haven't done that. All you've provide is "I want" and "I'm going to ignore all the disadvantages because their inconvenient to what I want".



    I don?t base technical feasibility on what I desire. I have no emotion invested in science(/technology or my investments. It makes me successful. I?ve stated I don?t need it, even in this thread I suggested it with Personal Hotpot on app phones now increasing in popularity the need fades.



    I doubt that I?d even pay the $130 for the factory installation even if it were available, but it is a long sought feature and the size has recently because smaller and with their iPad 2 having a standard design (sans the surface-mounted ribbon) and no fear of 18 SKUS the needles pulls a little more toward that feasibility.



    PS: I would like a GPS chip in my MBP for Find My Mac at that core OS level. But I guess you?l say that a GPS chip is impossible because it?s not already included.
  • Reply 95 of 214
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post


    I wonder if all the posters clamouring for a 15 inch MBA realise that the current 13 inch MBA has the same screen resolution as the current standard 15 inch Macbook Pro?



    I myself went from a 15 inch Powerbook g4 with 1280 x 800 screen resolution to a 13 inch Unibody Macbook with the same screen resolution and not noticed any major difference in usability, but maybe my eyes are very good!



    That's an interesting spec that few people think about. I know the 13" screen on my MBA carries precisely the same amount of information (pixel wise) as the 15" screen on my (older) Pro. Yet when people look at the size of the 15" screen it looks so much bigger. This might explain why HP sells so many "premium" $700 laptops with 17" screens with a very low resolution of 1366x768.
  • Reply 96 of 214
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    That's an interesting spec that few people think about. I know the 13" screen on my MBA carries precisely the same amount of information (pixel wise) as the 15" screen on my (older) Pro. Yet when people look at the size of the 15" screen it looks so much bigger. This might explain why HP sells so many "premium" $700 laptops with 17" screens with a very low resolution of 1366x768.



    OT, but I hope that any all new Apple notebooks after Lion?s release will include the double resolution that is found in the OS.
  • Reply 97 of 214
    The enthusiasm for Sandy Bridge Airs is incredible. It is going to sell very well whatever spec it offers.



    The screen of the existing C2D 13" Air is amazing - much better than the 13" screen on the MBP. Honestly, who needs a 15" unless it offers better resolution.



    I would very much like it to have a 500 GB SSD and a back-lit keyboard. With these, I buy it the day it comes out.



    Can anyone tell me how the performance of the i7 ULV chipset in a 13" macBook Air would compare to that of (a) a 2009 2.4 Ghz C2D 13" MacBook Pro and (b) to 2011 i7 SB 13" MBP 2.7 Ghz. In particular, will it play Call of Duty?



    I have this feeling that the MacBook Air is going to become my next primary machine.
  • Reply 98 of 214
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crocodile View Post


    I have this feeling that the MacBook Air is going to become my next primary machine.



    I used to be a heavy gamer but have since stopped gamely completely and now my huge windows desktop tower is just gathering dust until it sells.



    I went and replaced it with a MBA13. Absolutely thrilled with it.
  • Reply 99 of 214
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post


    My memory is fallible, but I remember trying to configure 4GB back in October and being able to do so only with the 13" model.



    I'm fairly certain is was a launch option. My 11" MBA was purchased mid December at an Apple store, so I can't be 100% sure.
  • Reply 100 of 214
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post


    I wonder if all the posters clamouring for a 15 inch MBA realise that the current 13 inch MBA has the same screen resolution as the current standard 15 inch Macbook Pro?



    I thought it was too obvious to mention that I would expect a 15" MBA to have 1680x1050 resolution. I was evidently wrong. It was not too obvious to mention.



    For whatever it's worth, I would be stunned if 1680x1050 did not become standard with the next revision of the 15" MBP.
Sign In or Register to comment.