'Mystique' surrounding Apple's white iPhone 4 seen as sales booster

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

There's a mystique around the poop-brown zunes, too, but "mystique" doesn't mean people will buy them...

I don't think the 'poop-brown' was the main problem (although nicely representative of Microsoft). White or black or even zebra striped would not have turned a pig's ear into a silk purse.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't think the 'poop-brown' was the main problem (although nicely representative of Microsoft). White or black or even zebra striped would not have turned a pig's ear into a silk purse.

Why not? You didn't like the thought of a poop-brown zune squirting music?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Mystique? its a white reaken phone so what. Just like iPhone fan boys, i bet they would pay extra money for the white one too. LOL.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Taking the time to fab a white iPhone 4 and set up a line this late in its life cycle is an indicator the iP5 will likely retain a very similar form factor - i.e., they'll still get over a year out of the basic production line for the white phone.

Meaning the next phone will likely get its competitive buzz from the A5 chip, iOS 5 and maybe a slight increase in screen size and/or cam upgrade. Which should be enough, especially if iOS 5 is fairly awesome and the ecosystem is extended with whatever's going on with data centers, music lockers and MobileMe. The A5's a pretty competitive chip and the cam's already good, 'specially with the HDR.

And will be called iPhone 5 rather than 4S, even if just a moderate hardware refinement - you want to hype (and align) the model number with the new CPU #. "The new iPhone 4S! Now with the new A5 processor!" I don't think so.

Meaning the "big stuff" gearheads are lusting for is likely next year. Namely LTE and a new form factor, more memory, maybe quad cores - AND (my guess) finally, 2 or 3 form factors to go up against the leventy-seven Droids, Berries, H-Pres and new WinMokias out there in 2012.

Apple makes six LINES of computers in at least 10 distinct models with multiple configs of most of those - so it seems inevitable they'll add more SKU's to their phone (and tablet) offerings to increase their range of appeal.

Anyway, that's one road map this late release of of the whitePhone along with other things we know seems to fit with. That, and that it will be a sales driver for the EOL period of the iP4.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It will sell well. Lots of people went for a white iPad 2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

After my front glass got smashed I eventually was somewhere that could fix it and paid a few dollars more for a "off the test line" white refit.

From what I've directly observed from reactions to it, there is a mystique and desire surrounding it. It is going to move, strange as it may seem what with a 4s round the corner.

I might not think of it as "mystique" as such but IMHO there is a certain elegance and purity of the white behind the glass, and the white (presumably) never fading or getting dirty because it is protected by the glass. I thought my white iPad 2 was a bit silly (grabbed whatever model I could) but there is something about it... Certainly the desire will be there.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Mystique? its a white reaken phone so what. Just like iPhone fan boys, i bet they would pay extra money for the white one too. LOL.

Yeah, just like the Android fan boys, whom I bet would pay extra money for smaller Android tablets, less apps, and a "shortcut" operating system just for the latest Android gadget.