Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I think the fuss is about the "system on a screen" part. The implication is that the digitiser and all the multi-touch sensors could be integrated into the screen and thus one part instead of multiple parts, and the overall being thinner than any of the originals.



    But Retina Display already glued the front panel/digitizer to the LCD. my understanding is the main hurdle is actually structural strength. You simply can't make the glass thinner without advances from Corning.



    Also the system on a screen part is inherently LTPS's advantage, because integrating driver IC into the glass panel reduces cost, so it's panel manufacturers' priority.
  • Reply 22 of 93
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post


    No AI misunderstood the rumor. The whole system is the glass. iPhone 6 is actually a single piece of glass, the entire backing of which is the battery and will be edged in a liquid metal antenna that also has touch controls.



    The glass also resonates making the whole surface into a speaker and contains a switchable layer that provides a camera sensor the size of the phone, quite unprecedented it will be the first phone to match a RED video sensor.



    The 30pin is simply a notched area which uses a MagSafe type flat connector. It only activates with the cable in place so the device has no "insides" and is water proof.



    They are still having some aesthetic issues. Steve wants the battery transparent also so the camera is two way and the whole screen can be an augmentation plane without having to capture and redisplay the "behind" scene as video.



  • Reply 23 of 93
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    ... I'm starting to think Apple should really own a screen manufacturing plant (and the technology) outright so as to deny their innovations and ideas to others.



    Having the bankroll to essentially buy up most of the available output is almost as good.
  • Reply 24 of 93
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post


    No AI misunderstood the rumor. The whole system is the glass. iPhone 6 is actually a single piece of glass, the entire backing of which is the battery and will be edged in a liquid metal antenna that also has touch controls.



    The glass also resonates making the whole surface into a speaker and contains a switchable layer that provides a camera sensor the size of the phone, quite unprecedented it will be the first phone to match a RED video sensor.



    The 30pin is simply a notched area which uses a MagSafe type flat connector. It only activates with the cable in place so the device has no "insides" and is water proof.



    They are still having some aesthetic issues. Steve wants the battery transparent also so the camera is two way and the whole screen can be an augmentation plane without having to capture and redisplay the "behind" scene as video.



    That's not a bad set of ideas, you know. Except for the all glass design (likely to break.) I vote for transparent aluminum.
  • Reply 25 of 93
    whabwhab Posts: 1member
    This article is quite misleading:



    1) the Retina Display in the iPhone 4 is already based on LTPS (or p-Si) which is the key TFT technology behind its higher resolution,



    2) Sharp is believed to be the manufacturer of the "Retina Display" found in the iPod touch 4G (based on MVA Liquid Crystal, not IPS),



    3) The use of LTPS does not preclude AMOLED display. On the contrary, LTPS is required to obtain high resolution AMOLED displays...
  • Reply 26 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post


    Iphone 6? Let's finish gossiping on the iphone 5 before we move on to 6, 7 or 8



    But... but... iPhone 8 will be the first phone on the market with a coherent water vapor display! That makes it newsworthy NOW!
  • Reply 27 of 93
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I'm starting to think Apple should really own a screen manufacturing plant (and the technology) outright so as to deny their innovations and ideas to others.



    What innovations?



    Apple don't develop basic technologies, they just purchase already developed tech from it's real developers and contract the manufacture of products incorporating it.



    The amount of ludicrous garbage that gets spouted on AI about Apple developing all these technologies is pitiful.



    Apples approach to tech and it's development can be summed up as -'why buy the cow when all you want is milk.'
  • Reply 28 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


    what innovations?



    Apple don't develop basic technologies, they just purchase already developed tech from it's real developers and contract the manufacture of products incorporating it.



    The amount of ludicrous garbage that gets spouted on ai about apple developing all these technologies is pitiful.



    Apples approach to tech and it's development can be summed up as -'why buy the cow when all you want is milk.'



    wtf ???
  • Reply 29 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple has reportedly selected Sharp to create next-generation low-temperature poly-silicon LCD displays, which will allow a thinner and lighter design for the anticipated sixth-generation iPhone in 2012.



    Sharp will begin manufacturing of the displays in the spring of next year, according to Japanese newspaper Nikkan (via Google Translate). The company is said to have already begun preparing equipment at its Kameyama Plant No. 1, which is primarily used for building LCD TVs.



    The liquid crystal display on the anticipated "iPhone 6" is said to feature "low-temperature poly-silicon" technology, a next-generation display format that allows for thinner and lighter screens that consume less power than traditional LCD screens.



    In a "p-Si LCD," the thin film transistor, or TFT, of the screen is made of polycristalline silicon. With this method, the display drivers can be mounted directly onto the glass substrate, shrinking the TFT section and allowing for a thinner LCD display.



    This technology has allowed companies to create "system on glass" devices, in which the optical sensors, signal processing circuits and other components are located directly on the glass substrate. This negates the need for additional components in a device like an iPhone, saving space within the device and even improving battery life with increased efficiency.



    Other advantages of a p-Si display are said to be a higher aperture ratio, which allow for more vivid images onscreen, and enhanced durability, with the amount of connecting pins reduced.



    p-Si LCD technology informational graphics Toshiba Mobile Display.



    The display of the iPhone 4 is a major selling point of the device, with the high-density 326ppi screen dubbed a "Retina Display" by Apple. Apple also pushed the in-plane switching screen of the iPad last year, a feature that allows enhanced viewing angles, and one that returned again for the new iPad 2.



    The rumors of a p-Si LCD would suggest that Apple is not considering organic LED displays, an alternative low-power technology that has been pushed in iPhone-competing devices like the Samsung Galaxy S. Numerous rumors have suggested that Apple has shown interest on OLED, but the iPhone maker has not utilized the technology in any of its devices.



    I read somewhere that you can beam up with iPhone 28 (so thrilled)
  • Reply 30 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post


    Apples approach to tech and it's development can be summed up as -'why buy the cow when all you want is milk.'



    Except they bought P.A. Semi and make their own batteries. Your point is bunk.
  • Reply 31 of 93
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post


    So you expect Apple to instantaneously ship the iPhone 6 after the displays are made? If the displays are starting to be manufactured in the spring, a summer or fall release of the iPhone 6 makes sense.



    Incoherence not found.



    -kpluck



    the headline said: "Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012"



    incoherence found.
  • Reply 32 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,349member
    Announced on the same day that Toshiba blogs about their new 7" display, fusing the capacitive touch layer and LCD into an integrated panel just 1mm thick. Added benefit of half the weight and less reflection of current LCD. So now we have Sharp, Samsung and Toshiba all with "next generation display" technology.



    At least touch display panels shouldn't be in short supply in the near future.
  • Reply 33 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post


    ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post


    Iphone 6? Let's finish gossiping on the iphone 5 before we move on to 6, 7 or 8



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post


    Crap, we don't even have 5 yet and we are already talking about 6? WTF?



    Really people? Should they also exclude any new patents which may or may not arrive for a device in several years simply because it can?t be included in the next release? If you don?t want to read about future tech then you should have stopped when you read ?iPhone 6? in the title.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Except they bought P.A. Semi and make their own batteries. Your point is bunk.



    I?ve never read anything about PA Semi creating battery tech.
  • Reply 34 of 93
    And the white version will be out in 2021.
  • Reply 35 of 93
    FYI, iPhone 20 will be the first cranial implant iPhone.



    My Magic 8-Ball told me so.
  • Reply 36 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Announced on the same day that Toshiba blogs about their new 7" display, fusing the capacitive touch layer and LCD into an integrated panel just 1mm thick. Added benefit of half the weight and less reflection of current LCD. So now we have Sharp, Samsung and Toshiba all with "next generation display" technology.



    At least touch display panels shouldn't be in short supply in the near future.



    1) When you mention a competing product, especially a cool one others have likely not heard about, it?s nice to also post a link to it.
    2) It?s interesting 'Toshiba emphasizes the use of its technology in "vehicle-mounted" and "industrial? applications? where weight and power consumption are usually not an issue. They also make no mention of power requirements compared to other display tech. The press release mentions ?saving resources and power? but that could very well be in the construction of the device, not its usage, or in usage the saving could be minuscule, thus making it less ideal over other such technologies in the works.



    3) In February Synamptics revealed their 1mm display tech. CES 2012 should see a lot of extra thin devices.
  • Reply 37 of 93
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Except they bought P.A. Semi and make their own batteries. Your point is bunk.



    I?ve never read anything about PA Semi creating battery tech.



    he didn't say pa semi made batteries. he said they bought pa semi and they make their own batteries. if i say i bought gum and tied my shoes, do you read that to mean my gum tied my shoes?
  • Reply 38 of 93
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post


    he didn't say pa semi made batteries. he said they bought pa semi and they make their own batteries.



    Ah.





    Quote:

    if i say i bought gum and tied my shoes, do you read that to mean my gum tied my shoes?



    It does if I misread the sentence.
  • Reply 39 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgrisar View Post


    I read somewhere that you can beam up with iPhone 28 (so thrilled)



    Don't you mean iPhone Scotty?
  • Reply 40 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    I think the fuss is about the "system on a screen" part. The implication is that the digitiser and all the multi-touch sensors could be integrated into the screen and thus one part instead of multiple parts, and the overall being thinner than any of the originals.



    If Apple is working closely with them on the new tech and the display is also a retina display, then this would make the next iPad even thinner and lighter at the same time they move up to the sharper, higher-res display.



    Could be fantastic, except six months later all the Android guys will be adding similar displays to their gear. I'm starting to think Apple should really own a screen manufacturing plant (and the technology) outright so as to deny their innovations and ideas to others.



    As we know, Apple doesn't do anything unless it makes a profit. It costs several billion to build a display plant. With the number of displays Apple would need going forward, would it break even, at least? And what about newer tech? Plants need to be upgraded, or new ones built for every new generation of display. It makes batter sense to go in with Sharp, or another manufacturer in some way that would allow them to keep the tech for themselves for a year.
Sign In or Register to comment.