YouTube movie rental launch delayed by Disney, Fox, Paramount

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirkgray View Post

I have a hard time giving google money for anything. Everything they do seems to be in perpetual beta. They never seem to have a finished, polished product.

100% agree. That constant beta thing is fine with maps and find and the like but to pay to join anything they do is a different story.

Plus their whole MO is 'provide free with heavy advertising'. Are we to assume they would actually do something that doesn't feed into their ad revenue stream? If they don't have ads tacked on to the movies I wouldn't trust them not to be using the membership details for some form of income.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

100% agree. That constant beta thing is fine with maps and find and the like but to pay to join anything they do is a different story.

Plus their whole MO is 'provide free with heavy advertising'. Are we to assume they would actually do something that doesn't feed into their ad revenue stream? If they don't have ads tacked on to the movies I wouldn't trust them not to be using the membership details for some form of income.

Have you even read their privacy statement?

And considering that these movies would be pay to play (rental) the rental itself would cover the costs of viewing it.

They will need to do something about the buffering issue, but I think they are doing that already. Whatever they're using for their Live servers seem to be working well enough. I've watched two concerts on there so far, no hiccups. My guess is that they'll rework (and beef up) their data centers so that this new paid content has priority to make sure the stream quality stays consistent. I also wouldn't be surprised if they had a whole over landing page for the rentals, like Movietube.com or Movies.Youtube.com.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacjenn View Post

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't know why anyone would want to watch anything of any decent length - like a movie - on YouTube. I can't even get YouTube to play a 3-minute cat video without pausing to load (which rarely happens in any other streaming media player I use - iTunes, Netflix, or ABC's player on the iPad).

I agree completely. YouTube isn't exactly know for great QOS. Further -- and I believe someone else mentioned this -- the idea of selling a product on a platform known as a free service is difficult if not impossible. There would have to be some new significant and compelling features to drive the purchase of video from YouTube that i don't see. I think its akin to Napster trying to sell music.

I suspect the idea of "perceived" value is part of the issue with Google in general and the Android app eco system specifically. Android users are accustomed to free or pirated content -- why pay for something you already have.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bsginc View Post

It isn't a matter of stopping piracy (at least for this topic and discussion). The issue is who a company chooses to do business with and the reason for that decision. Those companies believe that Google is encouraging and/or facilitating piracy of their products and have decided, for now, to not do business with Google. Their choice. Their reasons. Their right.

Considering these very same companies do business with MLMs which have a worse reputation than a pirate I find this argument hollow. Given they way Google operates I have to wonder just how much they can control the pirates. Amazon and eBay still have problems with bootlegs ie (pirated versions) despite a mammoth effort at trying to stop the problem.