Angry Birds boss says Apple's iPhone 'changed everything'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Angry Birds is like super mario for the can.

Also, I wonder what game developers for Nokia or Windows Mobile thought of those platforms. Changed everything?

• Reply 22 of 39
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolcat View Post

So a-holes like you will STFU?

awwwwwwwww
  • Reply 23 of 39
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Since this game is destined to flame out, I assume this guy is bright enough to cash out before the inevitable.

Oh, it's got a few years in it, and I'm sure they've got some skunkworks in place for the next big thing after Angry Birds. And this guy seems smart enough not to blow all his earnings right now on fast cars, coke and hookers.

But here's what they have going for them... For newbies, Angry Birds with many interesting and addicting levels. Then there's Angry Birds Seasons, which is really cute because they've got Halloween, Xmas, Easter, St Patricks Day, Valentines Day... really good themes. There's movie tie-ins, Angry Birds Rio is just the start, you can imagine one or two other movie franchises that would be very interested in them. Plus don't forget an actual Angry Birds movie, with the appropriate sequels. And we haven't even got into the merchandising.

It's a franchise now. No longer just a game. And they've built it not on the game mechanics per se but on characters like he says. As ridiculous as it sounds seeing green pigs in an easter bunny hat, st. patrick's hat, cowboy hat, crown, cupid thingie, pumpkins... it's all quite endearing.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    What that asshole should be saying is that he owes his major success on the iPhone to a little-known Flash game called "Crush the Castle". It came out in the first half of 2009. Angry Birds is virtually the EXACT SAME GAME with different graphics and a few small additions ported to a touchscreen.

Yes, the idea of flinging something in a parabola has been around a long time, but this was a ripoff that was damned near verbatim, right down to the movements of the camera.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thefinaleofseem View Post

What that asshole should be saying is that he owes his major success on the iPhone to a little-known Flash game called "Crush the Castle". It came out in the first half of 2009. Angry Birds is virtually the EXACT SAME GAME with different graphics and a few small additions ported to a touchscreen.

Yes, the idea of flinging something in a parabola has been around a long time, but this was a ripoff that was damned near verbatim, right down to the movements of the camera.

Good artists copy, Great artists steal, Assholes make money.

Karma will sort things out one way or another.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I enjoy playing Angry Birds, but am a little overwhelmed by the number of versions available. Not only does one have to shell out significant cash (compared to .99) for each game, but you have to shell out cash for iPhone vs iPad. While it's understandable that they want to earn revenue, it's a bit too aggressive to me.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    [Angry Birds] is "the most copied brand in China," while adding that Rovio would "also like to sell authentic products as well."

Until that happens can we steal Chinese products here?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Angry Birds is alright, but it isn't that great. They did get my money though because my girlfriend forced me to buy the full versions of their games.

Angry Birds kind of reminds me of Hogs of Wars, except simpler. Hogs of War was a great game and I think it's even better than Angry Birds. Somebody should release Hogs of War for the iPad. That game would sell a shitload if they did.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antinous View Post

Until that happens can we steal Chinese products here?

Do the Chinese even make anything original worth stealing? All they know how to do is to copy and rip other people and ideas off.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You should probably think about getting that paperwork going on the bridge transfer.

http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2011...s-android-ios/

The article say Android version of the bird generate recurring revenue, but didn't say anything about whether they get paid just for displaying the ad in their game or only when user click them.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

The article say Android version of the bird generate recurring revenue, but didn't say anything about whether they get paid just for displaying the ad in their game or only when user click them.

HUH? What does that have to do with making as much revenue in the Android Market as in the Appstore?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    This is not a mobile game this is a cell phone game. As a person who would call them self a gamer. I hate how people attempt to paint iOS and android devices as video game machines. They are not. They have a lot of limitations in place such as limited input being restricted to a touch screen. Not being optimized for gaming. Its almost how idiots say Sony and Nintendo compete with iOS devices for mobile gaming. They don't no one will waste their money on an Ipod touch just to play games. They buy those items to get on the internet, run apps, listen to Itunes music and other things. If you want a gaming device you buy something optimized to play games. Angry birds is fun. But it has nothing on Metal gear solid or God of war or Crisis core.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

This is not a mobile game this is a cell phone game. As a person who would call them self a gamer. I hate how people attempt to paint iOS and android devices as video game machines. They are not. They have a lot of limitations in place such as limited input being restricted to a touch screen. Not being optimized for gaming. Its almost how idiots say Sony and Nintendo compete with iOS devices for mobile gaming. They don't no one will waste their money on an Ipod touch just to play games. They buy those items to get on the internet, run apps, listen to Itunes music and other things. If you want a gaming device you buy something optimized to play games. Angry birds is fun. But it has nothing on Metal gear solid or God of war or Crisis core.

As far back as August 2008, John Carmack would have disagreed with you:

http://www.intomobile.com/2008/08/01...aming-systems/

And if you don't know who he is, then you aren't a gamer.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Your grammar sucks.

Krypton sucks.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3 Stars on every level in both the original and Rio versions for the iPad. I sent a screenshot to my mother to prove I?ve accomplished something in my life. She was so proud.

What, other than spending 24/7 replying to threads on AppleInsider.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

t,ftfy.

Your punctuation sucks.

T, ftfy
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Do the Chinese even make anything original worth stealing?

They offered that up a few centuries ago, when we forgot to pay royalties for stuff like gunpowder, paper, and ceramics.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    All these comments made me laugh. Thanks!
  • Reply 39 of 39
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Apple created the distribution for us that we didn't have before. All of a sudden, great games mattered," said Vesterbacka.

Exactly, once you have a popular device and a seamless distribution model, all you need to cover is content. Unfortunately, it seems we are still waiting for this to happen.

Why can't Rockstar put GTA Vice City or San Andreas on iOS for example? Why can't EA games put Burnout on it? Why can't Valve put Half-Life 2 and Portal on it? Why can't Konami put Silent Hill 2 on it? Why can't Blizzard put WoW on it? Why can't Epic put UT on it? Oddworld games, Longest Journey, Syberia, Still Life, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory/Double Agent/Pandora Tomorrow, NFSU, Max Payne, RTCW, Starcraft 2 and on and on.

So many huge franchises that could be ported over but for some reason aren't. I think Apple would do well to figure out why this is the case and make some moves to resolve the situation. Gaming is one of the most popular activities on the iOS devices so it makes sense to improve the selection on offer.