White iPhone 4 forecast to drive 1M-1.5M incremental sales, Apple explains delay

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the white iPhone 4 finally set to go on sale in nearly 30 countries on Thursday, one new prediction calls for an incremental sales boost of between a million and 1.5 million per quarter. Also, Apple has offered some details behind the delay, including issues with protection from UV rays.

White iPhone 4 predicted to boost sales

Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities said on Wednesday that he sees the long-delayed white iPhone 4 playing a meaningful role in pushing iPhone sales even higher. Earlier this week, White had predicted that a "mystique" surrounding the device could lead to strong sales following a 10-month delay.

White made a more specific prediction on Wednesday, after Apple officially announced that the white iPhone 4 will finally go on sale on Thursday, April 27. The device, first announced last June but delayed numerous times due to production issues, will be available in 28 countries this week, and White believes it will bring in customers who might have otherwise passed on the iPhone 4.

"This delay has created a certain mystique and scarcity value around the 'white' iPhone 4 that we believe could drive incremental iPhone 4 purchases in the range of 1 million to 1.5 million units per quarter until the iPhone 5 potentially comes to market in September," he said.

Earlier this month, Apple reported a record 18.65 million iPhone sales in the second quarter of its 2011 fiscal year. Apple typically introduces a new iPhone in its June quarter, but this year numerous rumors have indicated that the company is planning a later-than-usual launch, with production of the fifth-generation iPhone apparently set to begin in September.

Phil Schiller explains reasons for white iPhone 4 delay

In an interview with Mobilized, Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller explained that there were a number of reasons why his company had such trouble in bringing the white iPhone 4 to market. One of those reasons was that the white models need more protection from ultraviolet rays from the sun.

"It was challenging," Schiller told Ina Fried. "It's not as simple as making something white. There's a lot more that goes into the material science of it -- how it holds up over time... but also how it all works with the sensors."

Over the past year, a number of rumors related to white iPhone 4 issues have cropped up, including alleged problems with the paint mixture, camera flash, light leaks, and even the proximity sensor. Schiller's comments reveal that there were in fact a range of problems associated with building the white iPhone 4, lending support to previous rumors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Couldn't a source other than Brian White have been found for this story? I mean, really, how are we to take these reports seriously? White will naturally tend to overestimate the market impact of white. I'd like to hear Black's analysis of the situation.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I suspect a number of dropped calls - including some of my own and a number of my mom's have been due to the proximity sensor not turning off the screen - I have noticed many times when old the phone to my ear that the screen is not off - or I accidentally end a call or end up in some other mode that I did not expect to be in during a call.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    "Over the past year, a number of rumors related to white iPhone 4 issues have cropped up, including alleged problems with the paint mixture, camera flash, like leaks..."

I certainly don't want any likes leaking into or out of my white iPhone...
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Couldn't a source other than Brian White have been found for this story? I mean, really, how are we to take these reports seriously? White will naturally tend to overestimate the market impact of white. I'd like to hear Black's analysis of the situation.

It's a gray area.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Is that an extra speaker on the top of the white iphone 4?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZombieDude81 View Post

Is that an extra speaker on the top of the white iphone 4?

no, it's the proximity sensor.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Couldn't decide on which color iPhone to get... Black or White??? White or Black???

So, I compromised on the iPhone case!

/

/

/
  • Reply 8 of 23
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

It's a gray area.

Don't know why you think so. It's a pretty black and white case.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

Conrad Black was too busy with his own problems to make a comment on the iPhone today
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Any other company would just paint their product white and be done with it.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Apple is in the business of technology. In order to compete and stay ahead of the pack Apple has to have new releases all the time. The other thing that Apple must do is deliver on there promise of having a good product. So, they are gonna release new products often plus you will see delays like this on product they don't think is ready for the consumer. The growing anticipation for the product in delay doesn't hurt either. There is a poll on www.AskEachOther.com related to this article. Here's the link:

http://www.askeachother.com/q/Apples...ll-You-Buy-One
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I bought a white 3Gs to match my MacBook and iMac and immediately regretted it. And sold it 9 months later for $200 and got a black iP4.

Although, I think the "white" Apple products now look somewhat dated compared with the all aluminum line, this white iP4 looks pretty cool!

PS. That does look like another opening at the top of the white iP4....it's not on my black iP4! Huh?
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

the white iPhone 4 will finally go on sale on Thursday, April 27.

Gee Slash, thanks for delaying the white iPhone 4 another 6 years.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    bmoviebmovie Posts: 88member
    It's 4AM at the White House. Does the President know where his Red iPhone is?

The white iPhone looks kind of nice, but it's elusiveness makes it interesting. Apple makes it sound very hard to perfect. Wonder if there are any Android white, or whiter than white phones.

It's like a white tiger, or the Albino twins in "Matrix", but I wonder if someday Apple would be asked to make a red iPhone for the White House! He could do FaceTime. Could be a funny movie where he catches some foreign sovereign with an under-aged mistress in his (or her) bed.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

PS. That does look like another opening at the top of the white iP4....it's not on my black iP4! Huh?

It's the proximity sensor, and it is on the black iP4. You can see if you hold it in the sunlight just right.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:

. . . but you can't use this phone after Labor Day.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,957member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

There's a lot more that goes into the material science of it -- how it holds up over time... but also how it all works with the sensors."

I am hoping that this complexity will keep the more egregious copycats out of the white glass phone market for a while at least. Or if they do offer a slapdash version that it will suffer from whatever ills Apple's first version did. On the other hand, there are no black glass competitors either. Only Apple seems to have the balls to try new and potentially risky things. In this case, even Apple taking the lead was not enough to get others to take the plunge into such slick and fashionable materials.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Does not look good with three separate openings in the top -- very cluttered and not very Apple-like. Why aren't the earpiece, camera, and proximity sensor all combined into a single (longer) slot?
  • Reply 19 of 23
    blecchblecch Posts: 34member
    store.apple.com is down, perhaps to add the white iPhone (or maybe a new iMac, if we're lucky!):

"We are busy updating the store for you and will be back shortly."
  • Reply 20 of 23
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    We just got stock.