Apple may have purchased iCloud.com domain for $4.5M - rumor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Murdoch's folly is going for less than $100 million sometime this week. For a loss of $480 million or more.

Apple doesn't want that turd.

Considering that soon after buying MySpace, Murdoch was paid nearly $1 billion for 5 years exclusive advertising by Google, he more than made his money back.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Interestingly Apple has bought all the major "i" product domains with the apparent exception of iPad.

I wish I could guess what the next "i" product in the wings was so I could go register the domain.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The original use of "cloud" that I recall was basically as referring to some nebulous portion of a network that moved data around but you didn't control it or really know, or care, about the details of it, as in, "the ATM cloud". (Depicted by the little cloud image in the middle of the network diagram.) In that sense, the Internet is the cloud today, and "cloud services" is just a cute way of referring to Internet based services. It's true, though, that the marketing guys have turned the cloud into more of a fog or haze, similar to blue smoke.

You've got it. It was a means of differentiating how discrete data packets got from point A to point B over various routes and get assembled at the receiving end as a coherent message, from how telephone calls were set up and used a single switched circuit from A to B. With the data streams, you never knew which route any particular packet traveled, so it wasn't "switched" in the way a telephone call was switched.

Now everything's ATM or frame relay or IP, which all goes through the cloud of network relays.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,754moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Sorry Apple, but that's a crap name.

Maybe they just bought it out to avoid confusion when they release the revamped Mobile Me.

I don't like the name iCloud either. I actually think it would have been better to use iStore for everything including MobileMe and to rename iTunes.

The word store has the double meaning of a store to buy things in but also relates to file storage.

If you want to buy music, apps, movies etc, launch iStore.

Where is your purchased content kept? In the iStore app.

If you want to sync content online, use your iStore Drive.

These guys might have accepted less than $4.5m, given that the name has pretty much nothing to do with their services:

http://istore.com/

Apple could alternatively have gone with:

http://www.CloudiWithAChanceOfBeachballs.com
  • Reply 25 of 25
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't like the name iCloud either. I actually think it would have been better to use iStore for everything including MobileMe and to rename iTunes.

The word store has the double meaning of a store to buy things in but also relates to file storage.

If you want to buy music, apps, movies etc, launch iStore.

Where is your purchased content kept? In the iStore app.

If you want to sync content online, use your iStore Drive.

These guys might have accepted less than $4.5m, given that the name has pretty much nothing to do with their services:

http://istore.com/

Apple could alternatively have gone with:

http://www.CloudiWithAChanceOfBeachballs.com

1) i think the double meaning confuses the entire concept. There would be the iStore app, then your iStore access in Finder and through the web, and the iStore stores. It?s too much. Plus, you don?t rename a successful product, which is iTunes and iTunes Store.

2) iCloud makes a lot of sense for renaming iDisk because it beckons a major change over the failed product and helps to shield it from previous feelings associated with the old name. MobileMe had a major hiccup early on but it?s works well save for some annoying bugs. It?s iDisk that is slow and unintuitive the way other cloud storage services are today.