Launch of Apple's Verizon iPhone stems growth of Google Android platform

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Ha?! The headline sounds like the Android platform grew after the Verizon iPhone launched?

"Launch of Apple's Verizon iPhone stems growth of Google Android platform"

It most likely DID grow, just not as much as iPhone. I see nothing in that article that suggests Android didn't grow, or even that it's growth in unit sales was slowed or in any way affected by the iPhone. Android may be growing at the same rate it already was. But the iPhone got a [possibly temporary] boost from the Verizon demand. If most of that was pent up demand of people waiting for a Verizon iPhone, then they may not have been potential Android sales anyway and would have no affect on Androids growth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does 2.2 million devices sold on Verizon make up the majority of the percentage drop for Android-based devices?

I?ll have to wait until next quarter, at least, to see about possible trends worth trading on. At this point there just isn?t enough data points for me.

The next couple of quarters will be very interesting indeed. Were Verizon's sales mostly pent up demand? Will the current quarter's sales drop dramatically as that initial demand is met? Is there a 2nd wave of pent up Verizon demand waiting for the next iPhone? Will the release of the white iPhone be anything more than a tiny blip of sales?

It will also be interesting to see if Apple continues to stick with the "one new design a year" rollout schedule. I think that's going to hurt them as more and more Android options become available. The iPhone 4 is considered by many to be "stale". Compared to the continuous rollout of new Android phones, a 9-month old design is less appealing. Let's face it, most people don't buy devices on technical merit. If they did, Betamax would have won out against VHS and Windows would have never won out against the Macintosh in the early years of GUI computers (if you've ever used Windows 3.1 you know what I mean).

People want shiny, new, and choice...all of which Apple only offers once a year. (And it's a tribute to Apple's engineering skills, marketing, and business plans, that releasing a single new device a year is as successful for them as it is.)
  • Reply 42 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It will also be interesting to see if Apple continues to stick with the "one new design a year" rollout schedule. I think that's going to hurt them as more and more Android options become available. The iPhone 4 is considered by many to be "stale". Compared to the continuous rollout of new Android phones, a 9-month old design is less appealing. Let's face it, most people don't buy devices on technical merit. If they did, Betamax would have won out against VHS and Windows would have never won out against the Macintosh in the early years of GUI computers (if you've ever used Windows 3.1 you know what I mean).)

One design every 14-15 months at the moment ( if the rumour is true).

Surely they wont - they are now the biggest electronics company in the world and can afford to hire some people to work with Johnny Ive - they need to have more than one line. A cheap model, a middle model, and the top model. The lower model doesnt need a retina display ever, but the chipset can update over time. Middle model can have the retina, and a fairly good SOC, top model needs to be top of the line - bigger screen, top CPU in its class. They could expect to sell more of the middle model, but that model is to beat back the fandroids.

Thats the macbook ( / pro / air) model. Whats amazing at the moment is that Apple has so much of the market with a high end model only ( and last years high end). its as if all they did in the portable market was the top of the line Mac Book Pro.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It most likely DID grow, just not as much as iPhone. I see nothing in that article that suggests Android didn't grow, or even that it's growth in unit sales was slowed or in any way affected by the iPhone. Android may be growing at the same rate it already was. But the iPhone got a [possibly temporary] boost from the Verizon demand. If most of that was pent up demand of people waiting for a Verizon iPhone, then they may not have been potential Android sales anyway and would have no affect on Androids growth.

The next couple of quarters will be very interesting indeed. Were Verizon's sales mostly pent up demand? Will the current quarter's sales drop dramatically as that initial demand is met? Is there a 2nd wave of pent up Verizon demand waiting for the next iPhone? Will the release of the white iPhone be anything more than a tiny blip of sales?

It will also be interesting to see if Apple continues to stick with the "one new design a year" rollout schedule. I think that's going to hurt them as more and more Android options become available. The iPhone 4 is considered by many to be "stale". Compared to the continuous rollout of new Android phones, a 9-month old design is less appealing. Let's face it, most people don't buy devices on technical merit. If they did, Betamax would have won out against VHS and Windows would have never won out against the Macintosh in the early years of GUI computers (if you've ever used Windows 3.1 you know what I mean).

People want shiny, new, and choice...all of which Apple only offers once a year. (And it's a tribute to Apple's engineering skills, marketing, and business plans, that releasing a single new device a year is as successful for them as it is.)

There are plenty of old Android phones still on the market.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    I don't get why this is such a big deal. I mean, even if iOS grew faster than Android for one quarter or even a whole year, Android is still on top and will no doubt remain there. It's a simple numbers game: more manufacturers releasing phones on more networks means more sales. Google isn't going to stop supporting Android, so it's not gonna just go away. When it comes to market share, Google wins. They are the new Microsoft; the big boys who do more ripping off and winning than innovating and losing.

It's sad but we gotta face facts.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

I don't get why this is such a big deal. I mean, even if iOS grew faster than Android for one quarter or even a whole year, Android is still on top and will no doubt remain there. It's a simple numbers game: more manufacturers releasing phones on more networks means more sales. Google isn't going to stop supporting Android, so it's not gonna just go away. When it comes to market share, Google wins. They are the new Microsoft; the big boys who do more ripping off and winning than innovating and losing.

It's sad but we gotta face facts.

Except the manufacturers dont all want that....they know it isn't necessarily good for business to tie themselves to google forever....and with google tightening the grip on android skins....well, how are they supposed to differentiate?

Every single one of them would ditch google and android if they could. I dont think things are nearly as set in stone as you are alluding to.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Except the manufacturers dont all want that....they know it isn't necessarily good for business to tie themselves to google forever....and with google tightening the grip on android skins....well, how are they supposed to differentiate?

Every single one of them would ditch google and android if they could. I dont think things are nearly as set in stone as you are alluding to.

A lot of manufacturers are going to go out of business, I think. Apple can take 40% of the maket with lower prices.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Ha?! The headline sounds like the Android platform grew after the Verizon iPhone launched?

"Launch of Apple's Verizon iPhone stems growth of Google Android platform"

Yeah that was my first thought too! I also love it the way they pit one iPhone model up against um-teen models of android phones and then say look "android is the top selling phone."
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does 2.2 million devices sold on Verizon make up the majority of the percentage drop for Android-based devices?

I?ll have to wait until next quarter, at least, to see about possible trends worth trading on. At this point there just isn?t enough data points for me.

Apple up 9 = Google (-3) + RIM (-5)=-8

Doesn't that add up?
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Yeah that was my first thought too! I also love it the way they pit one iPhone model up against um-teen models of android phones and then say look "android is the top selling phone."

Google does not make phones, it gives away software.

It is only in the discussion because of its involvement on the software level. If the mfgrs could create their own software or use someone else's, iOS for the sake of argument, they surely would not be using Android and therefore, Google would be a minor paragraph in the overall text or not mentioned at all.

Apple makes both phones and software.

To me, the report should read: Apple trounces, HTC, RIM, HP, NOKIA, LG and MOTOROLA. Doesn't profit have any significance?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

@mhikl: You do realize you just got done venting a huge wall of text at someone who was "jk" right?

Unless he signs everything with his initials and "jk" happen to be his initials, "jk" means "just kidding."

Oops.

I don't know all the short initial forms so thanks for the update. I will try to look more carefully.

Sarcasm and irony can be great devices to make a point. However, on a general public forum, the language used to get the point across should be generally universal.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    @Mhikl: It happens. Plus you still made good points, so no harm done.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

!! So glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that. Must find a way to get that into conversation stat. I don't suppose you remember where Nilay said that.

I think it was engadget podcast 233 or 232.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted