Time reaches agreement for free iPad issues for print subscribers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    porchlandporchland Posts: 478member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I haven't used either the New Yorker of Politico, but I don't agree regarding the NYT iPad App. I think that app really shows the myopia of the NYT -- it's just an effort to make the iPad like a newspaper, which really underutilizes the new medium. I think the NYT website has both more information and is better designed to use technology than the iPad app.

I used the NYTimes iPad app during the trial, and I thought it was a better user experience than using the web version on Safari for iPad -- and a lot better than the Washington Post's iPad app, which has a bad UI, bad navigation, and bad ad placement.

The New Yorker app has the essence of the print version's brand but is designed to function well on an iPad. The TOC is set up like the print edition, and the articles are in the same order as the print edition. The articles are set up on page flips, which allows the editors to design the elements on each page, and it works well portrait or landscape.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    canuckleheadcanucklehead Posts: 388member
    This should have been the case to begin with.

People still place more value on magazines they can hold in their hands. It's the feeling that you actually got something for your money.

Eventually subscribers will see the convenience of having the articles on their iPads and will forego the printed version, just as it's taking a long time for people to stop buying CDs in favour of a digital version. Eventually, you want to reduce your clutter and waste and what better way to migrate people to the digital version of your publication.

I see this starting a trend and e-magazine subscriptions, which haven't caught on yet, will start to grow exponentially.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisNH View Post

I recall the days when magazines like TIME and Newsweek were must-read publications, and important communicators of thought. But their political bias got the best of them, just like it did with major daily newspapers. Today, millions or readers have abandoned newspapers and weekly news magazines because of this bias, and now these publications are pretty much groveling for whatever crumbs they can vacuum up. Their misery is pretty much self-inflicted.

exactly, they became faux serious tabloids, and their level o journalism dropped vertically what with the suck ups they hired instead of proper investigative journalists or jounalists with an opinion worth its salt. I hardly even pick em up even at a doctors office.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Sorry i cant understand what has been posted. Previously Apple didn't allow Free E-Print on i Devices that has subscription on paper version. And insist on customer paying another version.

Now they have argee to do so......

( Or Something like that )

That is what they are implying and I think for a time that was true. But when they did the whole 'if you have payment outside the app, you must have the option for payment in, I believe that was reversed. They just couldn't make the print subscription with free digital cheaper than the in app digital only option (as a way to encourage folks to do the print one based on price)