Apple releases new iMac desktops with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, Thunderbolt ports

Comments

• Reply 241 of 311
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    OK people, anyone else lovin' the fact that FireWire 800 is still on these machines? Nice

Questions need answering...

1: Will there be a voucher included with new iMacs for an upgrade to Lion?

2: Will there be adaptors available to run USB3 through ThunderBolt ports if and when USB3 becomes available?

3: How much better is i7 over i5 (is it a worthwhile upgrade for photo enthusiasts or just overkill)? Or, to put it another way, who would need the top spec iMac?

OK you smarty young 'uns ...
  • Reply 242 of 311
    mchristymmchristym Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

What are you talking about? There are 4 slots. Keep the 2, add another 8 and you get 12GB. Only if you want to go all the way up to 16GB will there be a point where you have to discard RAM. RAM that can easily be sold elsewhere.

Considering switch to iMac from PC and looking at 27" 3.4 i7; would like to upgrade RAM aftermarket. I'm a novice at this but thought there was a problem mixing different capacity SIMMs (e.g. 2gb and 4gb). I gather from above post that's not true with the suggested 4+4+2+2 configuration?
  • Reply 243 of 311
    junitorjunitor Posts: 8member
    i am thinking about getting my imac and below is the specs, any advice?

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

1TB Serial ATA Drive

AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

Magic Trackpad

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (Int'l English) & User?s Guide (English)

any advice pls say, appreciate it!

C-
  • Reply 244 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You have vision problems which we clearly did not know about

Yes you did. In my post I stated; "It's a little more complicated for those of us who have vision problems".

When people tell me to move the computer around and close the drapes or blinds, you might just as well tell a blind person to "get some eye drops".

My problem isn't serious; a mild form of Tunnel Vision, but glare is a problem for those of us affected. No, I don't expect Apple to accommodate me or anyone else who has difficulties or needs special assistance. Walk a mile in my shoes (albeit with a cane ) and you'll begin to understand why comments like moving the computer around and closing the blinds/drapes annoy the Hell out of me.
  • Reply 245 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Yes you did. In my post I stated; "It's a little more complicated for those of us who have vision problems".

When people tell me to move the computer around and close the drapes or blinds, you might just as well tell a blind person to "get some eye drops".

My problem isn't serious; a mild form of Tunnel Vision, but glare is a problem for those of us affected. No, I don't expect Apple to accommodate me or anyone else who has difficulties or needs special assistance. Walk a mile in my shoes (albeit with a cane ) and you'll begin to understand why comments like moving the computer around and closing the blinds/drapes annoy the Hell out of me.

Dude you are preaching to the choir. My VERY best friend was blinded in an accident at age 30. I know just about everything there is to know about blindness except what it feels like to be blind. But that doesn't change the chronology of the posts. The one about not orienting the monitor toward the window happened about three hours before you mentioned you had vision problems.
  • Reply 246 of 311
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I agree. I come to AppleInsider because it is less childish than many other tech news sites, but it's still quite hard to have a grown up discussion.

I know you are but what am I?

Oh wait...

• Reply 247 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Was it me, or did I not see any bitching about the lack of blu-ray?

I was really hoping for a super-high-res screen ala 5120x2880 but one can always wish.

I think the complaining about lack of Blu-Ray will come when they update the mini and don't add that.

I know because I will be one of the whiners.
  • Reply 248 of 311
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I don't have any reflections on my screen b/c most of the time this room is kept reasonably dim and like I said, I have my contrast and brightness controlled so the picture suits my preferences.

You DO have reflections on your screen, and the main point that I wish people would stop contradicting. From your comments here, I gather that don't care about them, and that's fair enough, but they are most certainly there. Smooth glass is reflective, and nothing anyone here on the forum can say changes that fact. If you sit in front of your computer and look for the reflections you will see them unless your environment is picture-perfect and your head never moves. Please do this and report back. :-) Actually, I invite everyone to do this. You will see reflections, you're just not particularly bothered by them.

So the relevant and interesting question is this: how is it that you can train your brain to ignore those reflections? I can't. Apparently lots of people can't. I'm not even sure it's desirable to train yourself to not see something!

Quote:

My eyes aren't being damaged like has been claimed in this thread and my computer works just fine.

I never made that claim, it was someone else.

Quote:

Maybe I just used my head when I decided where I wanted to have my computer setup. Nah, can't be that simple.

Even turning your display 90 degrees to the window, unless everything in the area reflected in your display is dark, including your surrounding walls, your hair, your face, your shirt, etc., then you can see reflections.

What's sad are the insults thrown out, like those of us that are actually bothered by these reflections are stupid or something. I'll put my IQ up against pretty much anyone here on the forum (and yes, I know this is a bright group in general), the point being only that we are NOT stupid, we just can't ignore the fucking reflections on these screens like so many people apparently can, and it's really frustrating to be insulted. For those of us who can't selectively ignore the reflections, these machines are literally unusable for more than a few minutes at a time, in all but the most perfect environments.

This is intended for all the naysayers, not you in particular. You just happened to be the one to reply now.
  • Reply 249 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Apple used to ship with matte screens as the norm. They're still available, but now you have to pay extra to get them.

In short, Apple lowered to quality of the baseline configs to extract more money from their customers, knowing that most of them are like the posts I expect in reply to this one....

Why don't you get some suction cups and remove the glass screen?
  • Reply 250 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

You DO have reflections on your screen, and the main point that I wish people would stop contradicting. From your comments here, I gather that don't care about them, and that's fair enough, but they are most certainly there. Smooth glass is reflective, and nothing anyone here on the forum can say changes that fact. If you sit in front of your computer and look for the reflections you will see them unless your environment is picture-perfect and your head never moves. Please do this and report back. :-) Actually, I invite everyone to do this. You will see reflections, you're just not particularly bothered by them.

So the relevant and interesting question is this: how is it that you can train your brain to ignore those reflections? I can't. Apparently lots of people can't. I'm not even sure it's desirable to train yourself to not see something!

I never made that claim, it was someone else.

Even turning your display 90 degrees to the window, unless everything in the area reflected in your display is dark, including your surrounding walls, your hair, your face, your shirt, etc., then you can see reflections.

What's sad are the insults thrown out, like those of us that are actually bothered by these reflections are stupid or something. I'll put my IQ up against pretty much anyone here on the forum (and yes, I know this is a bright group in general), the point being only that we are NOT stupid, we just can't ignore the fucking reflections on these screens like so many people apparently can, and it's really frustrating to be insulted. For those of us who can't selectively ignore the reflections, these machines are literally unusable for more than a few minutes at a time, in all but the most perfect environments.

This is intended for all the naysayers, not you in particular. You just happened to be the one to reply now.

I really hope you don't drive a car.
  • Reply 251 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I know just about everything there is to know about blindness except what it feels like to be blind. But that doesn't change the chronology of the posts. The one about not orienting the monitor toward the window happened about three hours before you mentioned you had vision problems.

And the key phrase here is "I know just about everything there is to know about blindness except what it feels like to be blind."

I've been blind; still am legally. Three operations later and I'm blessed with seeing better than I ever have. Still have to use a cane, and still get annoyed with people like you who make flippant comments about how I expect special treatment or for Apple to accommodate folks like me who have vision difficulties. You dug your own hole with that remark. I'm just filling in the dirt.

And if I offend anyone on this forum, my apologies. I'm old, crotchety, and I don't see very well. They wouldn't have sent me to get Bin Laden that's for sure
  • Reply 252 of 311
    mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 675member
    Oh, God! Another matte-screen complainathon!

I wish Apple would offer the option, just to forestall these discussions at every new product announcement. At least most of the complaints this time are from people bothered by reflections, which are a real thing. The usual ticket is "True Professionals? can't possibly do Real Work? on a computer screen unless it's covered in cheesecloth." I assume the "Glossy screens are for idiots" guy was the only one of those in this thread.

I can't understand how anyone can claim to see a screen better when it's covered with an obscuring, resolution-reducing semi-opaque coating. And even on the subject of reflections?with a glossy screen you have some chance of turning the screen so as to minimize the problem. With the matte overlay, any light hitting the screen is going to diffuse and obscure the screen worse than it's already obscured.

It wasn't so many years ago that professional graphics work was done on a $10,000 computer connected to a $10,000 (shiny glass!) monitor, in a darkened room, wearing black clothing. I guess a lot of people made so much money at that that they were able to buy a beach house, and now they're pissed that they can't sit on the deck and do the same work on a $1200 all-in-one. Times change!
  • Reply 253 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beastvince View Post

No graphic input anymore on the 27', just two outputs.

Both Macrumors and 9to5mac claim that the 27 inch iMac can be used as a secondary display in the "Target Display Mode" via the new Thunderbolt ports.
  • Reply 254 of 311
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

OK people, anyone else lovin' the fact that FireWire 800 is still on these machines? Nice

Questions need answering...

1: Will there be a voucher included with new iMacs for an upgrade to Lion?

2: Will there be adaptors available to run USB3 through ThunderBolt ports if and when USB3 becomes available?

3: How much better is i7 over i5 (is it a worthwhile upgrade for photo enthusiasts or just overkill)? Or, to put it another way, who would need the top spec iMac?

OK you smarty young 'uns ...

Yea, I'd like some input on this i5/i7 debate specifically in relation to photo app performance. I want to move from a MBP to MBA + iMac, but would like to not have to spend another $200 to upgrade to the i7 machine unless it'd make a large difference in speed when I'm dealing with RAW files. My '06 MBP is really having trouble in Aperture. I'm removing RAM benefits to the equation since the iMac's have 4 slots so you add 2 more slots of 4GB each if you want more RAM later.
  • Reply 255 of 311
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Can Photo Booth take pictures at the full resolution of the new camera?
  • Reply 256 of 311
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

The keyboard option with a numeric keypad is noticeably absent. So no more wired options

Wired Keyboard With Keypad Is Still An Option.
  • Reply 257 of 311
    The reason iMacs don't come with a matte option is that they make up a small percentage of sales for Apple. In situations like these, Apple has given people the big finger simply because the financial penalty is irrelevant to them; they'll just sell a few more white iPhones.

Now being a "mobile devices company", MBPs do constitute the majority of their PC sales. So they have no option but to live the contradiction, and pony up a matte screen. If there was no matte option on the MBPs, Apple would lose serious income (relative to their % of laptop sales). Still the ego is there, and they refuse the option on the 13" because they've made the same calculated "up yours" to that user group.

It's not difficult to understand.

It's one of the things I'm hoping will change when the current CEO leaves.
  • Reply 258 of 311
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Tried to order a BTO 2011 Imac with an SSD + HDD. I called 3 different times and spoke to 3 different associates, each one told me that if I add a SSD the shipping time is 4-6 weeks.

So while this option is available online, its going to be a long wait till you get it. I'm surprised as the 2010 Imacs were available in a few days with an SSD.

In any event this IMAC looks really nice and has tons of power. An I5 processor for most peoples needs would probably be ample. Wish they had included an HDMI port, oh well.
  • Reply 259 of 311
    diamondgeezadiamondgeeza Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

That is correct. One port to rule them all.

lol. great :P

true also, not bothered about usb3. thunderbolt will handle my audio needs aptly. looking forward to ditching the usb/firewire bag or hurt. bye bye cable mess.
  • Reply 260 of 311
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aiolos View Post

Yea, I'd like some input on this i5/i7 debate specifically in relation to photo app performance. I want to move from a MBP to MBA + iMac, but would like to not have to spend another $200 to upgrade to the i7 machine unless it'd make a large difference in speed when I'm dealing with RAW files. My '06 MBP is really having trouble in Aperture. I'm removing RAM benefits to the equation since the iMac's have 4 slots so you add 2 more slots of 4GB each if you want more RAM later.

I would say that for RAW processing there won't be a huge difference between quad-core i5 and i7.

I've been looking to get an iMac ever since the 27" iMacs came out. With the refresh of having quad-core across the line (as well as the better GPU), I am debating if I even need to spend the extra $ to get the 27". It's looking like the base 21.5" will serve me just fine (I have a bunch of external HDs). The $ would probably be better spent towards adding an SSD, to use for OS/app installs and swap file.

I think Apple is going to sell a ton of these new iMacs.