Apple releases iOS 4.3.3 with fixes for location database controversy

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    trrlltrrll Posts: 18member
    None of the areas where I've been are any great secret, and I'm worried that there may be a performance hit on location services due to the less complete database.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    How long does it take to update the ios on your iPhone?
  • Reply 23 of 35
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Minus download time (8 minutes), it took less than 10 for my i4.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

I would set aside 10 minutes. If you rarely sync and/or you download lots of updated apps, it will take longer to backup and sync, sometimes topping the 20-minute mark.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    mynameisjoemynameisjoe Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

The irony of course was that all this attention was in a period of weeks where:

1) Sony's networks were miserably hacked, and it was revealed they were saving private data (not financial though) in plain text.

2) Sony's networks were hacked again, and it was revealed that they were saving data for accounts created before 2007 (not sure about the exact year/date) in plain text, and that those credit card details were stolen.

3) TomTom was revealed to have sold location data to the Dutch government, which in turn used it to issue speeding tickets to people.

4) Google's Android saved the same data, but moreover, it was revealed a Google VP said that this was extremely valuable data that needed to be collected in emails a year ago.

etc...

And the one the biggest ruckus was created was about a bug that stored a LOCAL file on your own computer, and wouldn't even reveal location very accurately.

You have to expect news about Apple to always get the most attention. They are the company that the largest number of people care about. Apple gets way more attention than anybody else when they release a new product. But you have to take the good with the bad. They are also going to get a lot more attention when something goes wrong. Even if it might not be that big of a deal.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    mynameisjoemynameisjoe Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I won't waste my time updating this.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I checked and I'm only on 4.3, so I probably should update.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    This is worth repeating:

Sure ironic that Jobs forgot to mention this Apple patent in that news conference on this topic:

Location Histories for Location Aware Devices

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20110051665

more background:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security...r-was-patented
  • Reply 28 of 35
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

This is worth repeating

I'm sorry. I don't see any relevance. The patent seems to exactly match Apple's explanation of how iPhone works.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    JAILBREAKERS SAVE YOUR SHSHs for 4.3.2 before Apple stops signing it. TinyUmbrella is best for now to save your SHSHs locally so there is no (well, reduced) issues in the future.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The issue gained attention after two security researchers publicized their findings related to the "consolidated.db" file stored on the iPhone. Though the file created by iOS 4 is not sent to Apple or anyone else.

Yes, the file itself is not sent but the crowdsourced information is. "These calculations are performed live on the iPhone using a crowd-sourced database of Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower data that is generated by tens of millions of iPhones sending the geo-tagged locations of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers in an anonymous and encrypted form to Apple." (Apple press release)

I noticed that in my house my iPad 2 now no longer locates my position. Since the past few days. Looks like Apple itself culled a lot of info on it's location services on its server side as well in response to this fluffed up "fiasco".
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

JAILBREAKERS SAVE YOUR SHSHs for 4.3.2 before Apple stops signing it. TinyUmbrella is best for now to save your SHSHs locally so there is no (well, reduced) issues in the future.

Bah never mind. Recently it's been impossibly hard to restore any firmware other than the latest one. Apple won't even allow a legit restore of a non-jailbreak 4.3.2 on top of a non-jailbreak 4.3.2 install. Phone is bricked until I go back home and do the 600mb dance to get 4.3.3. Downloading the update is trivial for some, but here in the 3rd world it may take a few hours.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

How about a fix to craptastic battery life controversy?

Or maybe the slow-to-respond home button controversy?

iOS 4.3 took way all of teh snappies from my iPhone 3GS.

This!

My iPhone4 Home button recently started getting flaky. Gonna jailbreak and use Activator so I don't have to touch that annoying button! In the meantime I have to wait 1 month or more for a replacement (if given), see my other thread.

Apologies, last serial post I swear
  • Reply 33 of 35
    freelander51freelander51 Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

4.2.1 was the last legitimate update for the 3G and was partially created to alleviate the damage apple had done to the 3G experience with their previous iOS version. It's still very slow and that's no-one's fault but Apple's.

Sorry mate - but it aint that slow. Its usable. What is scandalous though is the removal of tethering, that bugs me more than the location issue. Time to jailbreak I guess....
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Yes, that's why it's so slow.

Collecting and calculating wifi/tower location data and storing it to a file on the phone most likely consumes a tiny fraction of the processing capacity of the phone. Is the iPhone 3G still slow when sitting in one spot, with this service idle? Yes. This crowd-sourcing utility has little to do with the performance of iOS on this ancient device.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the iPhone 3G is THREE YEARS OLD!

Operating system upgrades always include new functionality that require additional processing power, memory, and storage. Seldom do things shrink from a system resources footprint standpoint. To expect to be able to upgrade the operating system (on a computer or a phone) in perpetuity without upgrading the actual hardware is ludicrous.

To those who are upset over "progress" making your phones slow, then downgrade to an earlier iOS or buy new hardware...
  • Reply 35 of 35
    liplip Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Question: What about the iPhone 3G running 4.2.1? Does it create that database and does it keep creating it with the same time horizon and the same synching?

No update included for the 3G iPhone - so yes it is still logging ....

unbelievable Apple