Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to support 450 Mbps WiFi on 2011 Thunderbolt MacBook Pro, iMacs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    towertonetowertone Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

5.8 GHz networking has such short range that it's not likely for other 5.8 GHz devices to just show up on your network, even if you live in an apartment. My 5.8 GHz 11n network doesn't even cover my entire apt.

Mine covers my entire 4 BR house, but the point I was making (since the network is hopefully secure with no need to worry about neighbors) is that a Core Duo laptop or iMac will slow the 'n' network down, and you are better off with your 5GHz strictly 'n' and not 'a and n'. The Core Duos will then default to the 802.11g 2.4 GHz network.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    My thunderbolt MBP 15 running Snow Leopard can already do MCS 23. It regularly oscillates between MCS 22 (365) and 23 (450). Not news.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    Nice. But I'll take gigabit ethernet any day of the week. Even a slow 100Mbps ethernet link outperforms 300Mbps 802.11n on my home network.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    wicklywickly Posts: 5member
    I have the new 2011 15" MBP with a new Time Capsule and I am connected at 450 mbps so I am not sure why this is a Lion feature. Just thought I'd share
  • Reply 25 of 30
    oloruinoloruin Posts: 1member
    I have the first dual band airport extreme. The options are a little different. Additionally, I needed to hold the option key while selecting the radio mode drop list to get access to the n-restricted 5ghz modes. I went n-only for 5 and 2.4... I'd turn off the 2.4 if I could.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    valkyriavalkyria Posts: 1member
    I was actually planning to purchase a MacBook Pro this weekend, but now that I'm reading about some of the announcements about to be made regarding a new OS, etc., should I wait? Does this mean that the computers will soon be sold with Lion instead of Snow Leopard?

Any advice would be welcome. I haven't owned an Apple since my Apple 2e and am looking forward to getting a Mac.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post

should I wait?

If you're planning on buying anything in the AirPort line of products, yes.

Otherwise there's no point.

Quote:

Does this mean that the computers will soon be sold with Lion instead of Snow Leopard?

A few months from now, sure.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you're planning on buying anything in the AirPort line of products, yes.

Otherwise there's no point.

I'd argue there is a point to waiting. With only two weeks to return a product or to be within the free OS upgrade timeframe waiting a whole day to see if Apple commits to a sale date would be prudent. I know you think Lion is a couple months away but I am not so sure. Considering the already apparent delay for the iPhone, speed of the digital distribution which saves a full month of finalizing a GM that is burned to discs and packaged, and reliability jump in Preview 3 over Preview 2 I think it's entirely possible that it could ship by the end of June.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    I have a Time Capsule, which had the 3x3 MIMO all along and sure enough, the link speed is 450Mbps on Lion vs. 300Mbps on Snow Leopard. Why was that not "unblocked" for Airport Extreme and Time Capsule customers in previous OS X versions? \
  • Reply 30 of 30
    I have a 2011 MBP with Lion and a 2007 Airport Extreme. I've followed the instructions in this post but I only seem to be able to get 300Mbps out of it. MCS is stuck at 15 even when I'm right next to the router. Anyone got any ideas? Is the 2007 AE not capable of 450?