iBook speed bump at MWTK?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you think? If 1.6GHz PowerMacs and 1GHz iMacs are in the pipeline, wouldn't Apple want to keep its notebook line competitive too?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    Apollo G4 for the Titanium. It reportedly runs at speeds of 1.0, 1.13, and 1.26 GHz. I suspect it will find it's way into the iMacs and the Titanium.

Sierra G3, 1 GHz for the iBook.

Steve Jobs said (I lost the link, sorry), that he wants all macs running at over a GHz next year.

At least, that's the rumor.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think by MWTK there should definately be updated iBooks and TiBooks.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    If we look at Apple's recent product launches. (Aside from iPod), there is an emering pattern of addressing the desktop and notebook lines separately. For example, MWNY was desktop focused, while Apple then refreshed the notebook line in October.

I think a similar thing is going to happen at MWSF, with the next generation iMac and PowerMac G5 being unveiled, and then MWT will bring next gen iBooks (with IBM's 1 GHz G3) and TiBooks (with Apollo G4s). MWT will probably also mark the ship date of the high end G5.

This way, Apple will have all of its computers at or over 1 GHz by February, just as Steve wants.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well the PowerBooks were just upgraded to 667MHz recently. If anything i would like to see the low end be bumped to 133MHz bus speed and 733MHz speed while the high end could get to 866MHz. That would make room for the 750FX in the iBook at 600 and 750MHz. That would be sweet.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well the PowerBooks were just upgraded to 667MHz recently. If anything i would like to see the low end be bumped to 133MHz bus speed and 733MHz speed while the high end could get to 866MHz. That would make room for the 750FX in the iBook at 600 and 750MHz. That would be sweet.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Tarbash:

<strong>then MWT will bring next gen iBooks (with IBM's 1 GHz G3).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Even under the most optimistic of scenarios, I don't see Apple doubling the processor speed of the iBook in less than 10 months. That's utterly and completely against Moore's Law.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 41
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Hey bad boy,

Moores Law gives no information as to what actually goes into a product. It simply sketches processor development.

And JD, what the hell is a Sierra G3? Do you mean the Sierra C3--GMC's new top-flight luxury truck, or do you mean Sahara G3, IBMs processor?
  • Reply 8 of 41
    While it would be nice to have a 1 GHz iBook... i don't see it happening. It was introduced in may at 500 MHz. Apple has never increased performance that much in such little time. That being said, if there were a 1 GHz iBook w/ 13.1 inch screen, i'd drop my TiBook on ebay, velocity engine be damned. That kind of iBook has the potential to be the most popular computer model ever.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    when is MWTK? Its not on the Apple site.

Dammit... now I have the upgrade paranoia and am going to wait until February to get my iBook combo. I was going to wait until MWSF anyway... whats an extra month? right? (grrrrrrrr...)

Waiting games suck

Anyway... for that much wait I hope we will see
    • 8x (or greater) CDR in the DVD/CDR combo drive (currently only at 4x)

133Mhz bus

at least 733Mhz G3 (and keeping a 600Mhz for entry level)

maybe baby 16MB Radeon (at least for the combo/high-end iBooks)

20GB standard HD (although 15GB for low end is pretty decent anyway)

intro the DVD-R model baby! (although, without a G4 processor, its basically useless)

here's to wishful thinking. Also because, if an updated iBook doesn't come out by MWTK, I will HAVE to wait because there will be an update soonafter.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Please. Can you imagine how many people would be pissed off if Apple revised any of it's laptops in January?

For heaven sake, it's been only a few months since the speed bump. If you can't live with the machine you just bought just 3 months ago, then you shouldn't have made the purchase in the first place.

Any hardware purchase should pay itself off in a year or so.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>Please. Can you imagine how many people would be pissed off if Apple revised any of it's laptops in January?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

MacWorld Tokyo is what we are talking about... and it takes place in Febtober (any SNL fans?).

iBook 2001 rev.a = May

iBook 2001 rev.b = October

iBook 2001 rev.c = February(?)

thats approx 4+ months between updates and looks feasable
  • Reply 12 of 41
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>

thats approx 4+ months between updates and looks feasable</strong><hr></blockquote>

Another speed bump could happen but would'nt do much. They're more likely to wait till MWNY in July for a newly re-designed one.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I don't think we'll see a speed bumped iBook in Feb either. The 600s kick ass as it is. Of course you never know... just my humble 1.27 cents CDN.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    The iBook line is getting stale. Of COURSE Apple will update them at least. I hope for a gigahertz G3 iBook. Wonder what the battery lif ewill be on thqt sucker...
  • Reply 15 of 41
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    LOL

Good one.

Yeah, the iBooks are soooo stale.

(just realized you are probably being sarcastic... I'm a little slow today... what the hell, I'm posting this anyway...)
  • Reply 16 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>when is MWTK? Its not on the Apple site.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's Mac World Tokyo. That's where the Blue Dalmatian and Flower Power iMacs were introduced in February this year.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    MW Tokyo is actually March 21-23 now, got bumped back.

The official website:

<a href="http://www.idg.co.jp/expo/macworld2002/en/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.idg.co.jp/expo/macworld2002/en/index.html</a>;

I think 5 months between laptop updates is reasonable (and i want a powerbook in march!)
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Febtober... bahahaha!
  • Reply 19 of 41
    [quote]Originally posted by agent302:

<strong>MW Tokyo is actually March 21-23 now, got bumped back.

The official website:

<a href="http://www.idg.co.jp/expo/macworld2002/en/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.idg.co.jp/expo/macworld2002/en/index.html</a>;

I think 5 months between laptop updates is reasonable (and i want a powerbook in march!)</strong><hr></blockquote>

How come it got bumped back?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>Please. Can you imagine how many people would be pissed off if Apple revised any of it's laptops in January?

For heaven sake, it's been only a few months since the speed bump. If you can't live with the machine you just bought just 3 months ago, then you shouldn't have made the purchase in the first place.

Any hardware purchase should pay itself off in a year or so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anyone who thinks Apple should hold off product announcements to please costumers who bought notebooks three months ago is stupid. Apple will never break the single digit market share this way. Unless it's a major update, I see no reason why Apple shouldn't udpate its product lines when a new chip or video card ships. Waiting probably hurts them more. People aren't going to stop buying Macs because a new model comes out every three months. It would do the opposite. It would convince a lot of people that Apple will always be competitive in the future, and investing in Mac hardware and software now is not risky.