Apple ranked world's most valuable brand at $153 billion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    How does a brand increase 84% in one year? I think this is the kind of thing you need a multi-year running average for.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    ultrasparcultrasparc Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Nice to know a company that produces devices to enhance one's life has a better brand name than a sugar water company that causes tooth decay, a telecom company that can't hold a phone call more than a minute, or a social networking site that is a total waste of time.

I wish they had mentioned Nike so I could rail about a clothing company that makes millions of of sweat shop labor.

But good on you anyway Apple.

Don't get me wrong, I love apple - but... So you're not even going to consider the possible sweatshop conditions that all the iToys are made in, or the 18+ suicides that happened at FoxConn over the past year? I think that's pretty low for a company that's number one on this list!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    madhatter61madhatter61 Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new survey ranks Apple as the world's most valuable brand, worth an estimated $153 billion, beating mainstays like Coca-Cola, BMW and Disney, as well as tech rival and the previous No. 1 company, Google.

BrandZ's ranking of the Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands (PDF) shows Apple with an 84 percent increase in brand value from 2010. Search giant Google, meanwhile, dropped 2 percent to $111 billion, coming in second place.

Noteworthy brands beaten by Apple and in the top 50 include IBM ($101 billion, No. 3), Microsoft ($78 billion, No. 5), Coca-Cola ($74 billion, No. 6), AT&T ($70 billion, No. 7), Amazon.com ($37.6 billion, No. 14), and Disney ($17.2 billion, No. 38). Other tech companies on the list include HP at No. 18, BlackBerry at No. 25, FaceBook at No. 35, and Cisco at No. 44.

The total list of the 100 most valuable brands increased by 17 percent year over year to $2.4 trillion. BrandZ found growth in all 13 sectors it tracks, including apparel, beer, technology, insurance and luxury.

Developed by Millward Brown Optimor, the ranking system analyzes the world's leading brands and the economic and competitive dynamics that influence value fluctuations. It focuses on market-facing brands that generate revenue and profits through the sale of goods and services directly to consumers or business customers.

The valuation establishes an estimated worth of the Apple brand, rather than Apple the company. The survey was created 13 years ago, and includes information from more than 2 million in-depth consumer interviews in 30 countries.

Apple's 84 percent year over year increase made it the fifth-largest growth story of 2010 on the brand ranking index. Apple was beaten by Facebook, which saw its estimated brand value surge 246 percent to $19 billion, giving it the greatest increase.

The social network was followed by Baidu (141 percent), Wells Fargo (97 percent) and Burberry (86 percent). Apple came ahead of Skol (68 percent), Pizza Hut (58 percent) and Geico (53 percent).

The comments on your fine article should be scrapped ... those who responded to the lousy negative comments think they are comical ... they just waste everyone time and take up space ... just like I am doing here. Sure would be nice if they actually would contribute something useful to someone else.

• Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

How does one measure "brand" anyway? Where did $153 billion come from? What's the metric used to generate these values?

I think they explained it pretty well here, from the article (of course you could just go to the survey website and read the details there):

Quote:

the ranking system analyzes the world's leading brands and the economic and competitive dynamics that influence value fluctuations. It focuses on market-facing brands that generate revenue and profits through the sale of goods and services directly to consumers or business customers.

The valuation establishes an estimated worth of the Apple brand, rather than Apple the company. The survey was created 13 years ago, and includes information from more than 2 million in-depth consumer interviews in 30 countries.

• Reply 25 of 48
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    The way half the posts are about brand value while the other half went its merry way toward food products, cigarettes and whatnot health concerns is pretty darn funny
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltraSPARC View Post

Don't get me wrong, I love apple - but... So you're not even going to consider the possible sweatshop conditions that all the iToys are made in, or the 18+ suicides that happened at FoxConn over the past year? I think that's pretty low for a company that's number one on this list!

And excuse Dell, Cisco, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel and all the rest of the tech companies that have units assembled at Foxconn plants? And do you know how Foxconn compares to all the other assembly plants in China on those same stats? How about how do wages and compenstation for Foxconn employees compare to that of other workers in China.

How about doing even the least amount of checking the "facts" before regurgitating "news" and commentary items from tabloids and news sources trying to drive hits.

For example, you realize that Foxconn is the single largest private employer in China, right? They have nearly two million workers at their assembly plants. The amount of assembly they do accounts for nearly 40% of the $150B consumer electronics industry revenue.

Or that the Shenzhen SEZ has resulted in a huge upswing in wages earning for what once was poor subsistence-level rural workers. The suicides are bad without question but to repeatedly parrot uninformed news hit tripe is rather obstuse and lazy.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I have no idea how you come up with a specific dollar value for a brand, but it's clear that the high-value brands are very valuable asset to their companies. Think of a good brand as some combination of "automatic benefit of the doubt" and free advertising. Whenever Apple (and the same holds true to different degrees for other companies) comes out with a new product, those of us who love Apple stuff (and there are millions more of us than even a few years ago) will absolutely check it out and come at it with positive expecations/assumptions. That's what I mean by benefit of the doubt. I'll admit it: if unknown company X (or Microsoft, for example) had announced an identical product to Apple TV, I would have been much less likely to spend time researching it and would have been less inclined to buy one. And I would have been less likely to hear about it because company X (and even Microsoft) doesn't make the evening news and the front page of the paper every time they announce a product.

That's brand value, and it's not hard to make the case that Apple has soared to the top of the list in recent years. Google, for example, doesn't have quite the same aura. Sure all the geeks try whatever Google labs floats out there, but a) my mother-in-law or neighbor will be blissfully unaware of it, and b) Google doesn't immediately monetize that interest the way Apple does.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Good for Apple...

What does MacDonald's sell? Crap food that makes you fat and gives you heart disease!

What does Marlboro sell? Crap that makes you look cool! Oh, and can kill your ass!

What does Coca-Cola sell? Crap drink that'll make you fat!

What does MS sell? Crap OS!

What does Walmart sell? Chinese Crap!

What does Google make? Crap adds, sells private info and makes a Crap iOS!

I like Apple's business model more than the above companies!

PS. When my daughter was young, I refused to let her drink sodas, eat at MacDonald's, smoke, drive an american car, or own a Windows computer! Ugh! She also does not like Walmart!

PPS. She just started her 3rd year of Med school and is in the 99th percentile. (Got her mother's brains!)
  • Reply 29 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You shouldn't come into people so often.

Another health risk?
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

The way half the posts are about brand value while the other half went its merry way toward food products, cigarettes and whatnot health concerns is pretty darn funny

I question if this thread is a health concern. It?s surely not helping it in any way.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I dunno about that. If I was doing a ranking I would put it like this:

1. Google - cause way more people I've met use it, know about it, and it is a verb.

2. Apple - sure many people know about it, but those who haven't used a mac tend to dislike the company for some reason.

3. Walmart

4. Amazon

5. Verizon

6. ATT

7. Coca- Cola

100. Microsoft

500. McDonalds

10000. Marlboro

Walmart - American and not worldwide. Failed miserably here in Germany.

ATT & Verizon - are NOT Worldwide brands, and shouldn't be listed at all.

Q: Do you know what "world wide", "valuable", and recognized BRANDS means?

Just askin'.....
  • Reply 32 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good for Apple...

What does MacDonald's sell? Crap food that makes you fat and gives you heart disease!

What does Marlboro sell? Crap that makes you look cool! Oh, and can kill your ass!

What does Coca-Cola sell? Crap drink that'll make you fat!

What does MS sell? Crap OS!

What does Walmart sell? Chinese Crap!

What does Google make? Crap adds, sells private info and makes a Crap iOS!

I like Apple's business model more than the above companies!

PS. When my daughter was young, I refused to let her drink sodas, eat at MacDonald's, smoke, drive an american car, or own a Windows computer! Ugh! She also does not like Walmart!

PPS. She just started her 3rd year of Med school and is in the 99th percentile. (Got her mother's brains!)

GOOD ONE

Coke sell a lot of health drinks now ??

And what car beat's out a USA car ? ?

My wife just bought a Hyundai Elantra .

Fantastic car .

Cool price .

• Reply 33 of 48
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Eating lots of burgers will eventually kill you.

You don't see people dying after smoking one cigarette either. Are you suggesting they're not bad for your health too?

I'm pretty sure everything kills you, including time. As long as you eat in moderation, you'll be just fine.

Moderation is something I'll have to learn once I'm older lol (I'm not fat)
  • Reply 34 of 48
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

GOOD ONE

coke sell a lot of health drinks now ??

and what car beat's out a USA car ? ?

my wife just bought a hyundai

fantastic car

cool price

Thanks, Brucep!

Yep, Hyundai has really improved...it used to be 10 years ago if you wanted to make an emergency stop in a Korean car, you just had to turn on the AC!

My friend just bought one, too and loves it. Great gas mileage and great price too, not to mention the 100,000 mile/10 year warranty!

Best.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

I'm pretty sure everything kills you, including time. As long as you eat in moderation, you'll be just fine.

Moderation is something I'll have to learn once I'm older lol (I'm not fat)

iMacs can kill if dropped on one's head

iPhones can kill if ingested

And ever heard of the Nunchaku iPad death slap?

• Reply 36 of 48
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

Eating lots of burgers will eventually kill you.

You don't see people dying after smoking one cigarette either. Are you suggesting they're not bad for your health too?

Breathing a lot of air will eventually kill you too, but it sure adds a lot to quality of life. Burgers do too at least IMHO.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Breathing a lot of air will eventually kill you too, but it sure adds a lot to quality of life. Burgers do too at least IMHO.

Not an opinion, it?s a fact that even fast food contains necessary nutrients for a body.

You also bring up a good point about oxygen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity

I?ll also add excessive water intake as a killer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • Reply 38 of 48
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You shouldn't come into people so often.

: Sex wasn't in my head.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

I dunno about that. If I was doing a ranking I would put it like this:

1. Google - cause way more people I've met use it, know about it, and it is a verb.

This has nothing to do with usage..I do not see on the list Caroma the worldwide leader in the manufacturing of toilets which I am sure are used way more than Google
  • Reply 40 of 48
    lightstrikerlightstriker Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Can any med student take out their mother's brain or just in the 99 percentile?