Microsoft rumored to buy Skype for $8 billion; Skype for Mac fixed

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    I'm personally thinking that if microsoft is going to buy Skype it is going to be because they want to kill it so they don't have competition when they launch their own service... We should not let that happen or things are going to go down the shit hole quite fast.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    When is Apple going to open up FaceTime like they said they would. This should have been done ages ago. FaceTime should be all over Android by now.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Really want Skype to bring back partial screen sharing, this is keeping me back on the 2.X versions. (currently in the 5.x versions)

I have a huge screen, so it is very hard to share with folks on the road and their laptop screens.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    skantnerskantner Posts: 3member
    Let's just hope they can handle it once they own it. Many aquisitions up as hopelessly ruined products.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by just_a_guy View Post

I'm personally thinking that if microsoft is going to buy Skype it is going to be because they want to kill it so they don't have competition when they launch their own service... We should not let that happen or things are going to go down the shit hole quite fast.

Quite expensive killing, isn't it?

I think M$ will include it into the new version of Wirus 8 - Skype's new UI matches M$ requirements already.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

Um.. for 1B I'll make a better than skype client!

could they even possibly overpay anymore?

Hmmm..Microsoft is not paying for the software only but the users..
  • Reply 27 of 48
    You call this version "fixed"? I call the complete version 5 for Mac a User Interface disaster. Won't be installed on any machine close to me.

What a fail. And that Microsoft is taking over fits right into the picture. Shame there aren't too many alternatives around.

Oh and Facetime is a nono as well. They should have brought iChat support instead. Why should I used a stripped down client on my mac if I have skype or iChat? Facetime makes no sense and won't succeed, imo.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    nuttannuttan Posts: 21member
    As with all things Microsoft, I give it the two fingers down my throaght. Fading giant!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

Um.. for 1B I'll make a better than skype client!

could they even possibly overpay anymore?

You might make a better skype client, but how long, and how much money will it take to get the number of users Microsoft is getting?

It think this is pretty genius - Messenger is a dying platform, so folding it into Skype makes a lot of sense.

In terms of computer Chat, I think the less options, the better - universality is the most important thing. The more people you can call, the more useful the service is.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    This is no longer a rumor.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaggedspike View Post

It always has been.

Not true. It was supposed to be open. To the best of my knowledge, Apple has not released the code. So it's not an open source project. Now, perhaps that's not what they intended.

Then, is it an open standard? Again, I don't know what Apple has truly done specifically to make it an open standard to facilitate interoperability. Heck, it is not even compatible with iChat!

So, please inform me as to what you mean by it has always been open. My take is that it has NEVER been open except for Steve Jobs' proclamation.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

This is no longer a rumor.

It's a rumor until Microsoft or Skype makes an announcement.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nuttan View Post

As with all things Microsoft, I give it the two fingers down my throaght. Fading giant!

I would gladly assume the role of a fading giant with record revenue, and enough cash to blow $8B on a company. Looks like a sweet fade-away jumper from Ballmer. He's finally doing what he does best - deal-making rather than pretending to be a technology visionary. This won't guarantee online success for Microsoft but at least they're shaking it up
  • Reply 34 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I would gladly assume the role of a fading giant with record revenue, and enough cash to blow $8B on a company. Looks like a sweet fade-away jumper from Ballmer. He's finally doing what he does best - deal-making rather than pretending to be a technology visionary. This won't guarantee online success for Microsoft but at least they're shaking it up

. . . and probably killing Facetime in the process. Fairly obvious IMO that Skype/Microsoft will now be the industry standard, with interoperability across multiple platforms.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    My hopes for cross platform communication are being dashed. Apple won't anyone play with its ball and I fear copysoft will do the same now with skype.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

. . . and probably killing Facetime in the process. Fairly obvious IMO that Skype/Microsoft will now be the industry standard, with interoperability across multiple platforms.

As it stands, FaceTime and Skype do not serve the same purpose. I use both. With my kids and friends, FT is an easy, two-click app to video-chat. FT is also more phone-centric (not in the sense of iPhone-centric). But it requires Wi-Fi. Skype is slightly more complicated to use but is more versatile, and is not phone-centric.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    john galtjohn galt Posts: 960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't agree. I often use Safari on Windows 7 and iTunes and Mobile Me, they seem like oases of quality on an otherwise sea of crap to me!

One might say, they're "like giving a glass of ice water to somebody in Hell."
  • Reply 38 of 48
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I think we'll see 3D skype via Kinect with these new 3D televisions coming out more and more. I seriously thought it was hype, but I guess it's the next big thing?

Anyways, I see what Microsoft is doing with this. Even if they overspent, they now have everything in place to move forward very quickly with placing this technology within the 360 and compete with Sony on something else.

Think about THAT. 3D Skype. It will make phone sex look like when cavement jerked off to chiseled fat ladies in rocks.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Ballmer couldn't jump over a Hershey bar. (and not only because he would want to eat it)
  • Reply 40 of 48
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    If Apple really wants to compete in the Skype space, why in the world did they make FaceTime a Snow Leopard only app? They can't seriously expect it to become a standard if the only ones who can use it are those with a latest generation Mac and a latest generation iPhone and iPod touch.

I have an older Mac (first Intel Core Duo) and I think it will falter with Snow Leopard so I don't want to upgrade.

My wife's MacBook is newer (first unibody) but she doesn't want to bother updating the OS because Snow Leopard does not have any compelling new feature she cares about. Don't really need Grand Central to surf and check email.

And my Brother and Sister have PC's.

So I use skype, not necessarily because it's "better" but because it works. And it works on 3G as well as Wi Fi.

I'm trying to live in the Apple garden, but they're not making it easy for me with FaceTime. Come on, Apple. Make this thing backward compatible, at least to Leopard users!