Moved: N. Korea to have Nuclear Bomb within 30 days, what to do?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If <a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-524632,00.html"; target="_blank">this</a> story is to be believed, North Korea will have a Nuclear Bomb within a month or so. They've threatened the US already (although I think Bush did start the war of words.)

(To avoid this degenerating into a "Clinton Sux!" thread, I'd just like to say that his paperwork has put us in a position to act, whereas had he not engaged with them I think we'd be legally powerless.)

Part of me says bomb the reactor. You need to talk to Russia and China first, and I'd warn Japan too. The UN needs to come along for the ride as well. But North Korea was in violation of international law even before the threat. The threat is the key here.

I think a solid case could be made before the UN that there is an imminent threat, unlike in Iraq in my opinion. I do also believe though that Bush's credibility has been tarnished with his perceived "war lust" with regards to Iraq. So, even if this is a legitimate case for a preemptive strike, he's dug himself a big hole. The international community already doesn't trust his judgment and it would still be very difficult to convince them that this is the correct response.

Of course, it might not be the correct response. The attack could spark a conventional war in Korea. It would be a mess to say the least.

Maybe just going ahead with getting UN approval would be enough to motivate China & Russia into action first. They don't want us fighting there so they might move in to truly pressure North Korea before we took action. Kind of like a game of Chicken, but then again, so is Nuclear Proliferation.

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    duck and cover
  • Reply 2 of 34
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    A war with North Korea will definately result in lotsa casualities. North Korea has the second largest army in the world. And they are desperate people. And desperate people do desperate things.

We need to talk.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Do nothing. You're dead.

Can we fight a three pronged War on Terror, War with Iraq, and War with North Korea?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    War on N Korea is just stupid.

I am getting so sick of 'War on....' **** George bush is out to get everything and everyone!
  • Reply 5 of 34
    As his press secretary would say, "you better watch what you say." After all, "you're either with us or against us."

[code] </pre><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 34
    There's no oil in N. Korea, so what would Bush's motivation be to attack them ?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    [quote] There's no oil in N. Korea, so what would Bush's motivation be to attack them ? <hr></blockquote>

OT: Even if that was bush`s reason to attack Iraq IMHO Saddam needs to be removed he is a danger to his people as well as others. If Bush needs to be greedy to get rid of Saddam then so be it.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy:

<strong>

OT: Even if that was bush`s reason to attack Iraq IMHO Saddam needs to be removed he is a danger to his people as well as others. If Bush needs to be greedy to get rid of Saddam then so be it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry to drag this back on topic but...

Part of my worry is that North Korea is a true threat while Iraq isn't nearly so. Minus the oil argument, I can't see the logic in this double standard with Iraq/North Korea. Compared to North Korea, Saddam is nothing of a threat either to us, his people or his neighbors.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by stunned:

<strong>A war with North Korea will definately result in lotsa casualities. North Korea has the second largest army in the world. And they are desperate people. And desperate people do desperate things.

We need to talk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well Iraq had the one of the top 5 largest armies in the world before we mowed them down in the early 90's and everyone said that Saddam was desperate and would do desperate things. I don't think the size of armies matter all that much anymore with the given technologies. I believe it has more to do with weaponry.

Does N. Korea have nukes? Probably.

Can they launch farther than Japan? No

What should we do? Sh!t I don't know.

I agree with the talks first, but if they still refuse to back down than maybe we sail three destroyers and a couple carriers over there to let them see our newest toys.

Remember, they were the ones who publically admitted to still having a nuclear projects even after we signed a treaty. They started it!
  • Reply 10 of 34
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 11 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>

Didn't you know the Korean was STILL isn't over, more than 50 years since it started with a North Korean invasion. There is only a temporary (there's a good use of that word) armistice. The war of words has raged continuously since then with sporadic press coverage.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I know, I've been to Panmunjom. It's just that after nearly a decade of relative quiet, Bush stirred up trouble. And no matter how bad things between the Koreas got, to my knowledge there was never a nuclear threat against the United States.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by trevorM:

<strong>I am getting so sick of 'War on....' **** George bush is out to get everything and everyone!</strong><hr></blockquote>

whats next :

"War on brezel industry" ?

still an open revenge....
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Kim Jong-il makes Saddam Hussein look like the poster boy of sanity and stability. I am very worried, nevermind Bush's agenda. I mean, if everyone had a nuke, the top two to use it just for the f*** of it are Osama Bin Laden and Kim Jong-il.
  • Reply 14 of 34
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Kim Jong-il makes Saddam Hussein look like the poster boy of sanity and stability.

Maybe he's a chicken too.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm unwilling to take that guys word for what would happen with "selected strikes".
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm unwilling to take that guys word for what would happen with "selected strikes".

I agree, but I think it's another piece to the puzzle. You know I'm not a hawk, but if we're not careful the situation with North Korea could turn uglier a few years down the road.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    How about just one shred of reliable proof before we start worrying about when the sky will fall? I haven't seen anything about this on the NYT, CNN or any other relatively reliable news source. Thinking if there was anything to it at all, it would be plastered ALL OVER the headlines right now. Common sense....
  • Reply 19 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yes Moogs is right. We should wait until Seoul is a smoldering pile of glass before we even worry about it.

BTW Moogs you may want to start reading a news paper or watching TeeVee news shows.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Don't condescend to me, you putz. I read plenty, and as I mentioned, no "N. Korea to have nukes within 30 days" headlines - or anything like it - that I've seen. Other than here of course, the grandest source of news ever. Unfortunately, I only peruse pages like this one

PS - I didn't say we shouldn't worry about it, I said (in essence) there isn't enough information on this theory to warrant rampant speculation about nuclear war, etc.