Apple rumored to release 'iPhone 4S' with T-Mobile, Sprint support in Sept.

1235

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    they have a plan D.
  • Reply 82 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    Theres a plan E
  • Reply 83 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    there is no plan F.
  • Reply 84 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    there is no plan F.



    The next iPhone will be a hardcore G just to hold us over until Preparation H, but some think that’s just until we can get to ‘i’, but I think that might be imaginary.
  • Reply 85 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post


    Yes there are.

    But you forgot to list them.

    Here are some of them:



    Android Rules:

    1) You must give your personal information to Google.

    2) You cannot upgrade the OS on your Android device.

    3) You must deal with fragmentation.

    4) You must deal with the crapware the carrier puts on your phone.

    5) the list goes on and on.... lots of Android rules.





    These jabs at Google are just wrong. One, you must give personal info to Apple to download any app. Case in point, you must give credit card to have an iTunes acc. My dad has yet to giv Google his credit card to be able to download apps. Two, you can upgrade your OS. My dad has done this too. Of course the updates can be slow because each OEM has its own customizations which slow the process (Google updates its OS more frequently than Apple however). Yes, you can call Anndroid fragmeentd BC of the multiple GUI's and different hardware, but then you could call iOS old because its notification system is by far the worst. And crapware ... Yes, that's true on some Android phones. Not true on Google Nexus series. And since the Nexus is pure Google, updates com to you as soon as the carrier allows it (since its OTA) and is not fragmented considering its pure Google.



    And before someone says it, I am not a Google Android fan. I own an HTC Arrive on Sprint and believe its the best phone currently on Sprint. Of course that will change when iPhone 4S and Pre 3 comes to Sprint.
  • Reply 86 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    You forgot another one: the build quality of HTC and Motorola stink (maybe Samsung is better). Seriously, my friend had both the Nexus One, and then the G2 (which she upgraded when T-Mobile gave all its smart phones away for free on Valentine's Day). HTC made both phones, and they are made out of cheap flimsy plastics. Motorola phones not only are made of cheap materials, but they aren't designed well either. Before the iPhone, I have owned three Motorola phones. All have died before the end of the contract. Usually it is because of the poorly designed power cords that eventually cause the casing to crack and stop working. My step brother has a Motorola Droid and it suffers the same issues.



    Some of HTC phones might be "cheap" but my HTC Arrive is very Nice build quality. Probably the best I have seen, other than the iPhone 4 of course.
  • Reply 87 of 117
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Why do you think anyone here would know that?



    I don't. But I still want to know!
  • Reply 88 of 117
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    PS: If they really are going to alter the size of the display they will need an updated SDK and it will take time for devs to submit to the App Store. If this happens at WWDC that time frame between the June announcement and September launch with a new iPhone HW would make since.



    I'm assuming that they will slightly increase the size of the display but retain the same resolution. This then won't require a new SDK or for Apps to be reworked yeah?
  • Reply 89 of 117
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    What are the odds that this data center, their voice recognition, and/or their mapping software is the primary reason this is getting held back until September?*





    * I know it?s not confirmed but I?m saying there is enough circumstantial evidence to say that it probably is September.



    The more I think about it, the more I suspect that Apple has big plans for OS 5 and that might indeed be the cause of the delay. This will be the first big OS release since Android really started eating up market share, and you'd have to figure that Apple wants to make sure they can continue to claim best phone status-- and at the moment there are a few areas that really need work.



    So here's hoping: in September Apple will release a phone on more carriers, with a bigger screen, dual core processor, more ram, better camera, but most importantly running iOS 5, which will have overhauled notification services, better utilization of the home screen, and ties to new services contingent on that data center-- be it CloudTunes, voice commands or whatever.
  • Reply 90 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post


    I'm assuming that they will slightly increase the size of the display but retain the same resolution. This then won't require a new SDK or for Apps to be reworked yeah?



    Sure it will. The UI isn?t just about resolution, but about the entire environment.



    Consider this, if what you say is correct then any size display using 960x480 resolution would not affect the way the UI looks and feels. Now image that on a 10? display. Now imagine it on a 1? display.



    The elements get larger or smaller as you increase or decrease the pixel size. You can argue that it won?t matter too much if they only increase it a little, but don?t forget what company we?re talking about. This is Apple! I don?t see them just releasing a half assed update to the SDK despite the display size change.



    Then there are apps that do use the physical dimensions of the display for rendering images. Most notably apps that create rulers. But it?s not just those apps. Consider a game with on-screen controls. If Apple increases the display size the buttons could be too large for comfortable game play and also too far in from the sides to press the center. The developer may want to reduce their physical size back to what they were previously, which means a reduction in the number of pixels they use, as well as shift them to the edge slightly for easier use which also results in more screen real estate for the game window.
  • Reply 91 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    The more I think about it, the more I suspect that Apple has big plans for OS 5 and that might indeed be the cause of the delay. This will be the first big OS release since Android really started eating up market share, and you'd have to figure that Apple wants to make sure they can continue to claim best phone status-- and at the moment there are a few areas that really need work.



    So here's hoping: in September Apple will release a phone on more carriers, with a bigger screen, dual core processor, more ram, better camera, but most importantly running iOS 5, which will have overhauled notification services, better utilization of the home screen, and ties to new services contingent on that data center-- be it CloudTunes, voice commands or whatever.



    1) If Apple really cared so much about market share I?d think they would have released the iPhone to the other US carriers already, including the MNVOs.



    2) I will be flabbergasted if iOS 5.0 doesn?t come out with the most intuitive and industry leading notification system. The idea that they let what was an issue in iPhone OS 1.0 languish for so many years tell me they want this to be right, not just an incremental changes until they figure it out. Hopefully the WeBOS guy they hired last year has set them straight. If they don?t update I may have to jump ship.



    3) I wish Apple would release major iOS updates separate from new iPhones. Much like they do with the iPad, which may overtake the iPhone in revenue and profit in a couple years. I think it helps boost sales of the devices at more points and helps to focus on potential issues along the way without failing into the iOS 2.0/iPhone 3G/MobileMe debacle of 2008.
  • Reply 92 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    They don't couple OS and phone releases.
  • Reply 93 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    They don't couple OS and phone releases.



    4 years in a row now iOS came out the same week as the new iPhone went on sale.
  • Reply 94 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    They were just using the wwdc as a platform. And the original iPhone was not coupled to any software conference.
  • Reply 95 of 117
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    They were just using the wwdc as a platform. And the original iPhone was not coupled to any software conference.



    But major point releases definitely more or less coincide with hardware iterations.
  • Reply 96 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    They were just using the wwdc as a platform. And the original iPhone was not coupled to any software conference.



    I never mentioned WWDC or a software conference. I mentioned an OS release and the iPhone HW release.
    • iPhone OS 1.0 ? June 29, 2007

    • iPhone ? June 29, 2007



    • iPhone OS 2.0 ? July 11, 2008

    • iPhone 3G ? July 11, 2008



    • iPhone OS 3.0 ? June 17, 2009

    • iPhone 3GS ? June 19, 2009



    • iOS 4.0 ? June 21, 2010

    • iPhone 4 ? June 24, 2010

  • Reply 97 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    Which was because of the WWDC. Mostly. This debate is , as usual on this forum , Americancentric.



    I bought the 1G on the first day if it's release in one of the first countries outside the US to have it, and I got it in November 2007. The other release dates were staggered as well.



    In any case I have never seen them as coupled. And this year we see the decoupling proper. I bet iOS 5 is not just announced at WWDC but released soon after.
  • Reply 98 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    But I agree that decoupling is a good idea.
  • Reply 99 of 117
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post


    Which was because of the WWDC. Mostly. This debate is , as usual on this forum , Americancentric.



    I bought the 1G on the first day if it's release in one of the first countries outside the US to have it, and I got it in November 2007. The other release dates were staggered as well.



    In any case I have never seen them as coupled. And this year we see the decoupling proper. I bet iOS 5 is not just announced at WWDC but released soon after.



    You can?t go by your country, you have to go by the country or countries it?s released in first. It?s been tied to the release of the new iPhone HW. The fact that not all countries get the same release date doesn?t discount that fact.
  • Reply 100 of 117
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,652member
    Ok. I cede the point for America. Since I bought a 1G which I updated later, and a 3GS which I updated to 4.x I didn't notice the coupling. Nevertheless a decoupling would be a good idea, it would show that maybe Apple can increase sales with both a major update in software and hardware.
Sign In or Register to comment.