Purported fifth-gen iPhone case shows edge-to-edge screen, camera flash shift - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An alleged case for the iPhone '5g' on a Chinese trading website depicts an edge-to-edge screen with the rear camera flash moved to the opposite corner from the camera.

Guangdong, China-based Kulcase is listing an alleged "Newest design crystal case for Apple iPhone 5g" on the company's Alibaba.com site, MacNN reports. Alibaba.com serves as an international business-to-business trading site and has been the source for a number of Apple product leaks in the past.

A mockup of front of the so-called iPhone 5g shows an edge-to-edge screen, while the rear view of the case shows that the flash component has been moved to the top-right corner away from the camera.

While the mockup should, of course, be taken with a grain of salt, case manufacturers in the past have obtained insider information regarding Apple's design specifications ahead of official product announcements. In March, three employees from Apple partner Foxconn were formally charged with violating trade secrets for allegedly leaking the design of the iPad 2 to third-party accessory makers.

Cases accurately matching the design of the iPad 2 surfaced last December, several months before Apple's unveiling of the device. After the accuracy of the cases caused Foxconn to suspect that the designs had been leaked, it contacted local police to investigate the matter.

The case design appears to track with recent reports regarding an edge-to-edge screen for the next-generation iPhone, though it's also possible that the mockup is itself based on publicly available rumors. In March, unverified engineering drawings depicting an iPhone with a larger screen surfaced.

In April, a photo of an alleged prototype iPhone with an edge-to-edge displayed appeared, though some reports have dismissed the photo as a fake.

Other reports have suggested that Apple will release an iPhone '4S' in September with relatively minor modifications, such as a transition to the A5 chip used in the iPad 2. On Friday, one analyst asserted that the fifth-generation iPhone will arrive in September, featuring "minor cosmetic changes, better cameras, A5 dual-core processor, and HSPA+ support." Various sources have suggested that Apple will miss its traditional summer launch of a new iPhone, instead releasing a new device in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    I'll still be skipping this refresh and wait until 2012 when my contract is up and then shop my business between providers. I think the i4 is fast enough and has a nice camera for it.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What is up with those tiny icons?! I smell a really bad Photoshop.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I?m not sold on the larger display even though I welcome it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmillermcp View Post

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. What is up with those tiny icons?! I smell a really bad Photoshop.

That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    I got an early iPhone 4 (pre-orderd), had it for 3 1/2 weeks and had to return it for dropped calls (incoming & outgoing, whether I held it or not). Maybe they had problems with early production runs...................

So I skipped a generation and finished up my AT&T contract. I'm still using my 3GS and anxiously awaiting the next phone............I like the edge to edge thing, if that happens.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?m not sold on the larger display even though I welcome it.

That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone.

As with all things Apple, suppose it's a question of getting used to it!

And, I had the exact same reaction as you re it looking like a 'shrunken' iPad display.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Gah.... here we go, near dally rumors, each presented as just as likely as the last, and most of them contradicting each other. The next iPhone will be a minor refresh with slight cosmetic differences, or with an edge to edge screen, or with a redesigned "unibody" case, or nothing at all until next year, or.... whatever gets floated next.

I really think Apple has taken to seeding the rumor mills with flak just to keep everyone guessing.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:

"What's up with those tiny icons?" Are you talking about the small app icons that are in the folder together? Maybe you didn't know you could do that.........
  • Reply 8 of 44
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Nice photoshop picture.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    "That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone."

"And, I had the exact same reaction as you re it looking like a 'shrunken' iPad display."

EXCEPT, I can't find that 'Stocks' app anywhere in iPad apps to download to my iPad (I have that 'Stocks app on my 3GS). So, it would have been a little more tricky to shrink an iPad display and put an app on the screen that you can't get on the iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

"That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone."

"And, I had the exact same reaction as you re it looking like a 'shrunken' iPad display."

EXCEPT, I can't find that 'Stocks' app anywhere in iPad apps to download to my iPad (I have that 'Stocks app on my 3GS). So, it would have been a little more tricky to shrink an iPad display and put an app on the screen that you can't get on the iPad.

You could save that icon to a webpage and then create a WebClip bookmark. This would only take a moment to do but I have trouble thinking that someone would have put that kind of thought into it just to make a sloppy rendering with the iPad display.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Gah.... here we go, near dally rumors, each presented as just as likely as the last, and most of them contradicting each other. The next iPhone will be a minor refresh with slight cosmetic differences, or with an edge to edge screen, or with a redesigned "unibody" case, or nothing at all until next year, or.... whatever gets floated next.

I really think Apple has taken to seeding the rumor mills with flak just to keep everyone guessing.

I don't think apple seeds anything. These sites create or propagate any rumor they can because it generates traffic. Period.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    "You could save that icon to a webpage and then create a WebClip bookmark. This would only take a moment to do but I have trouble thinking that someone would have put that kind of thought into it just to make a sloppy rendering with the iPad display."

Me too!
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Even if this is a case for a new iPhone, would the company that made it get access to a full functioning device? I would think they would get a dummy phone which would make the screen picture a photoshop.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

"What's up with those tiny icons?" Are you talking about the small app icons that are in the folder together? Maybe you didn't know you could do that.........

Please tell me that was just a bad attempt at being humorous. Seriously? No genius, I'm talking about the overall scale of the icons themselves being smaller than normal.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    The next iPhone will in fact have the larger screen. There have been far too many insiders proclaim this up and down. I would also imagine the case to be the real deal too.

I would imagine a huge segment of VZ customers have held off on the iPhone 4 knowing that the new version was a mere months away, including myself. The iPhone 5 with the larger screen and the A5 will be Apple's highest selling device to date. To say it will far outsell the iPhone 4 is a huge understatement.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I see an edge, all around.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:

... I smell a really bad Photoshop.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

... That does look like the iPad display cropped and shrunk to fit on the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Nice photoshop picture.

I think people are forgetting that even if the case is real, they would still have to do what all case makers/sellers do and put a photoshopped picture of the phone inside the case. The fact that the screen on the first picture is obviously photoshopped doesn't mean anything.

I personally don't buy the larger screen until I see more than just a case manufacturing leak. Cases are often based on the same rumours we read in AppleInsider so it can easily be a situation where rumour is feeding on rumour.

The thing that makes me think that the larger screen is not real is that it's so completely "un-Apple" to do that. They decide on things like screen size long before the first beta of the product is released and if they considered the screen size to be some kind of a problem one would think they would have changed it when they put out the retina display.

It also kind of implies that they are changing the screen size to larger because:

a) Android phones are that way and they need to compete

b) That's what the people want

c) the current size for the last five years was "too small."

None of those make sense or are typically things Apple cares about or does IMO. The first two are demonstrably untrue as well. Rumours are often about what the rumour monger *wishes* to be true rather than a reasonable argument of fact, and this smells like that to me.

I could be wrong of course but I'm waiting for more confirmation than "unknown chinese case manufacturer says so."
  • Reply 18 of 44
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

The next iPhone will in fact have the larger screen. ...

You don't know what the word "fact" means do you?
  • Reply 19 of 44
    "Please tell me that was just a bad attempt at being humorous. Seriously? No genius, I'm talking about the overall scale of the icons themselves being smaller than normal."

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass, I didn't perceive the icons to be out of proportion......
  • Reply 20 of 44
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You don't know what the word "fact" means do you?

Yes I do. And also know for a "fact" that you are an ass.