Tough 2010 comparisons cause 'soft' 9% Mac sales growth for Apple in April

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    easy288easy288 Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

The business community's INSANE focus on always demanding that PROFIT is up year over year over year is like a Ponzi scheme.

Apple is very profitable.

Demand for Apple products is still increasing -it's just increasing at a slower rate than it increased last year.

This is why you should not look at businessmen as anything other than gamblers and scumbags.

Slowing sales growth is not good for stock price.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    easy288easy288 Posts: 80member
    Perhaps this is the post PC iPad era that everyone is talking about. Not only is the iPad killing PC sales (not), but its killing Mac sales too!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Monthly data? What a joke. First, apple doesn't report data by month so the numbers are not accurate as they don't include apple stores or apple online sales. Further, mac sales would have been off just on the iMac alone as everyone with any sense at all knew there was a refresh about to happen thus suppressing demand. Macbooks were refreshed in Feb and saw their spike in March, etc. etc. etc. Only a fool follows news of "monthly" figures when it comes to Apple.

The fact of the matter is that Apple still isn't even close to keeping up with demand for key product areas.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    jrobjrob Posts: 49member
    Besides the points already made, it appears to me that 47% up in March + 9% up in April / 2 months = 22.5% average. Or, a little higher than expectations of 22%, though I'm not sure what the weighted average is. Am I missing something, or are some people concerned that apple's growth is not linear on a monthly YoY basis?

Also, the link for "in March" points to Feb data, which was actually 16%, not 12%. I'm about to fall asleep though, so maybe I am missing something.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Most other companies in this economy would KILL for a 9% year over year growth.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 27 of 29
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 28 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,585member
    A great explanation why Apple's stock price really should be at 340.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05/...eks-out-of-10/
  • Reply 29 of 29
    ddawson100ddawson100 Posts: 531member
    The risks here are about consumer spending. When (if?) Apple gets to the institutional or business sector that should help. For comparison with consumer spending, this "soft" increase is much better than Dell or HP's announced drop for spending:

PC Makers Are Seeing a Slowdown

<snip>

H.P. said that sales of personal computers in the fiscal quarter ending April 30 fell 5 percent, to $9.4 billion. A 23 percent decline in consumer computer sales far outweighed a 13 percent increase in sales to businesses.

<snip>

For Dell, sales of servers, computers and storage devices to businesses continued to help offset weaknesses that have plagued its consumer business the last few years.

</snip>

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/18/te...mpute.html?hpw