Apple selected leading Audience noise cancellation technology for iPhone 4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Everything I said was complete hyperbole and the exact opposite of everything that is true about Apple.

The cameras on the iPad 2 would love to disagree with you right about now...
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I believe this depends on what is going on in that moment. The microphone is listening for whatever noise it can find. If you aren't talking and a noise happens in the background. The microphone will grab that sound. Which may come across a lot louder than your normal speaking voice.

I think phones do a pretty good job of isolating your voice from other background noise at the same time.

Try the Samsung Focus, or any of the Galaxy S devices. These phones are far superior to the Iphone in terms of call quality. The Iphone is the best all around device IMO but as a phone it is still very much lacking, regardless of who manufactures the components.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Try the Samsung Focus, or any of the Galaxy S devices. These phones are far superior to the Iphone in terms of call quality. The Iphone is the best all around device IMO but as a phone it is still very much lacking, regardless of who manufactures the components.

You may be right. I don't make a lot of voice calls or have used many phones. IMO today's user has changed their usage though. If I'm in a noisy venue, I don't use voice so voice quality is low on my list of features. I text in those atmospheres and all my friends do too. I think this generation's top feature is the ease of texting first voice second.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    aiaaia Posts: 181member
    This is interesting, I would like to learn more about this noise suppressing tech.

Does anyone know if it works while the phone is being used with a headset or in-car (bluetooth) hands-free?
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Yeah, it was sarcasm. I understand that it's hard to figure out sometimes, but come on .... it couldn't have been more obvious.

Everything I said was complete hyperbole and the exact opposite of everything that is true about Apple. It wasn't like it was an ambiguous statement.

I thought I could rely on the readers of an Apple related rumour site to know something about the company they are reading stories about.

Right, and about every other Apple-smasher, troll, and lest we get political -- wingnut, says a statement that is EXACTLY opposite of the truth.

We live in a new age, where people are electronically too far removed for us to punch them in the nose.

Therefore; add a /sarcasm tag if you are merely being CONTRARY to sanity. Sometimes I don't use the sarcasm tag -- but I make sure I'm funny first
  • Reply 26 of 27
    dubstondubston Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I don't REALLY have any idea how it works. But I assume it's like green screening in video i.e. identifying the foreground (voice) from the background (noise) in frequencies and intelligently canceling out the noise by feeding back its frequencies. If you add a frequency to a frequency, you get zero sound. The trick is identifying which are which.

Hi there

Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm an Audio Engineer, so I can explain this. The simplest form of noise cancellation employs two microphones. The idea is that both microphones pick up the background noise at approximately the same volume, but the mic near the mouth also picks up the voice and the other (noise cancelling) mic picks up mostly background noise. The signal from the noise cancelling mic is phase inverted and then combined with the signal from the voice mic. When this is done, the signal common to both (i.e. the background noise) is significantly reduced. This technique is used in sports stadiums, to allow a broadcaster to be heard in the presence of significant crowd noise.

In the case of the iPhone4, digital signal processing algorithms are also applied to further assist the noise cancelling effect.

Something to note is that if the noise cancelling mic is blocked by the hand or fingers, then the process will not work effectively.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dubston View Post

Something to note is that if the noise cancelling mic is blocked by the hand or fingers, then the process will not work effectively.

Or poorly designed cases - a few friends and family members drive me nuts with their poor calls due to crappy cases