Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt MacBook Airs coming in June or July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I've had the cash burning a hole in my savings account since February for a 13" MBA with a quad Sandy Bridge processor and Thunderbolt...

Keep the money in a place where you will not be tempted to spend it asap.Then wait until perhaps June and buy it than.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    it needs a back-lit keyboard.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Something has to give regarding the Mac Mini. By using laptop components rather than the components found in the iMac, bang for the buck isn't what it should be.

Personally I think Apple should create a one-size-fits-all desktop tower basically using iMac components and replacing both the Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

With a wide range of configurations made available, such a desktop would be able to serve less demanding customers right up through to power users.

The top iMac configuration is now providing performance that rivals what the Mac Pro could do not so long ago. Throw in Thunderbolt and such a box would serve the needs of the high-demand market. Meanwhile considering the entry iMac sells for $1199 here in Canada, how tough could it be to conjure up a tower that is close in price to the current Mini yet has the pieces found in the entry iMac.

Keep the server configuration of the current Mini with a Sandy Bridge update and fold the Mini and Mac Pro into one highly configurable model. It's a win for many and it makes sense to simplify desktop offerings considering many are gravitating towards laptops.

I think it's absurd to buy an all-in-one in that you have 12-year technology in terms of the monitor fused with computer pieces that would never last that long. A ridiculous waste.

Really, it makes no sense to leave matters as is only with some updating yet I can't pretend to know what Apple has in mind.

Interesting idea but I don't think they will go that route. Apple seems to like doing things in 3s: 3 laptops, 3 desktops, 3 iOS products.

I do agree that it's a shame they don't make more of the Mac Mini. In many ways it's the ideal Mac. It's small enough to sit on your desktop rather than the huge Mac pro casing, you can choose your own monitor so no glare/anti-glare arguments as with the iMac. I just wish they made more of an effort, had a bigger range of specs and more powerful versions.

Bring back the cube!
  • Reply 24 of 56
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

I've had the cash burning a hole in my savings account since February for a 13" MBA with a quad Sandy Bridge processor and Thunderbolt...

So, Apple cannot fit a quad processor into a 13" MBP but it can fit it into the even smaller 13" MBA?
  • Reply 25 of 56
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Something has to give regarding the Mac Mini. By using laptop components rather than the components found in the iMac, bang for the buck isn't what it should be.

Apple is not in the business of providing boring, sensible products, it is in the business of providing exciting products, and best bang for the buck is normally only achieved with the boring, sensible products.

And once you have Sandy Bridge, TB and quad-core (which admittedly is unfortunately rather unlikely) in a Mac mini, you get performance which rivals the 2010 Mac Pro.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I hope Apple doesn't kill the MacBook, it is in a dire need for an update.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Compared to an iMac, a Mac Mini is a horrible deal. Absolutely horrendous. The display alone in the 21.5" iMac is worth at least $300-400, leaving you with laptop hardware that is so anemic, I had to return mine recently after only having one for 3 days.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

So, Apple cannot fit a quad processor into a 13" MBP but it can fit it into the even smaller 13" MBA?

They will if they want my money. AI'ers check me on this, but IIR there isn't a reason why a quad i5 wouldn't physically fit inside a 13" MBP, I believe Apple just chose not to do it.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

They will if they want my money. AI'ers check me on this, but IIR there isn't a reason why a quad i5 wouldn't physically fit inside a 13" MBP, I believe Apple just chose not to do it.

Space isn?t the only factor, it?s about about power usage which means a larger battery, the heat is creates, and the additional or larger components to disperse that heat, as well as these components extra use of power to do their job.

Excluding price, Quadcore Core-i chips are going to start at 45W compared to the 35W used by the 13? MBPs today. MBAs use even smaller and power efficient chips with a TDP of 18W and 10W.

They already can get toasty inside that small chassis. I say it?s not possible until Apple finally removes the optical drive. Even then there are plenty of other considerations. For instance, what?s more important to users in a 13? notebook, a longer duration from a larger battery life or putting in the fastest CPU possible.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Compared to an iMac, a Mac Mini is a horrible deal. Absolutely horrendous. The display alone in the 21.5" iMac is worth at least $300-400, leaving you with laptop hardware that is so anemic, I had to return mine recently after only having one for 3 days.

I hook mine to the TV, the compact size makes it ideal.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:

Sure...Chose not to for battery, heat, cost, etc.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    c.dubc.dub Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

This is what held me back from buying the current gen Air. The first gen had it, why take it out? Was it for battery life? Would a string of LEDs actually have that big of an affect on the battery life? You can still turn it off though so it seems silly that this is why they removed it. Maybe to further differentiate the MacBook Pro models? IDK, I think it was just stupid they removed it. For a machine that is supposed to be ultra portable, why remove such a great feature? I hope they bring it back for the Air, at least in the 13" model. If they do, I'll buy it. If they don't, I won't buy it. I know it seems silly but I have a MacBook Pro with the backlit keyboard and it is one of the best features I have ever had on any notebook.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:

Of course the mini is the PERFECT computer for a home entertainment center. The small size and nice look is perfect. I did not hear one complaint from the wife about it when I installed it....

Of course an Apple Wireless keyboard with a built in track pad would be fantastic....
  • Reply 34 of 56
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c.dub View Post

This is what held me back from buying the current gen Air. The first gen had it, why take it out? Was it for battery life? Would a string of LEDs actually have that big of an affect on the battery life? You can still turn it off though so it seems silly that this is why they removed it. Maybe to further differentiate the MacBook Pro models? IDK, I think it was just stupid they removed it. For a machine that is supposed to be ultra portable, why remove such a great feature? I hope they bring it back for the Air, at least in the 13" model. If they do, I'll buy it. If they don't, I won't buy it. I know it seems silly but I have a MacBook Pro with the backlit keyboard and it is one of the best features I have ever had on any notebook.

This was my initial concern as well. But after owning the 11" beauty, I discovered that the lettering on the black keys actually illuminate when the screen pops on. I owned the original backlit 'Air' and I can honestly say that it pales in comparison to the newer models - in every aspect.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

I think it is a fantastic deal. Why would I settle for a 21.5" screen when I already own a 60" one? I lie in bed and surf like a champ. And the mini only set me back $649.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That would be an amazing laptop! Sandy Bridge and thunderbolt in something so thin.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    c.dubc.dub Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

This was my initial concern as well. But after owning the 11" beauty, I discovered that the lettering on the black keys actually illuminate when the screen pops on. I owned the original backlit 'Air' and I can honestly say that it pales in comparison to the newer models - in every aspect.

That's good to know. I'll have to see if I can test it out on the 11" and 13".
  • Reply 38 of 56
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

And user upgradeable memory.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

And user upgradeable memory.

User upgradeable memory would mean higher prices, lower reliability, and a thicker case. No thank you.

User upgradeable memory wouldn't make sense in the iPad and, in my opinion, wouldn't make sense in the MacBook Air.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    psobuzzpsobuzz Posts: 4member
    Ok so I read earlier that the new chips are good but the graphics card from intel are not as good as the nivida ones in the core 2 duo, is this correct?

If so what will this mean in the real world. I am looking to buy an 11 inch, not bothered about a back lit keyboard as I have one on my pro and always turn it off, I find it annoying as the lights comes from around the keys too and would prefer to save battery, never had a problem seeing the keys from the light reflection from the screen my self.

I guess I would like more on the ssd but could manage and as yet we are not sure they will be increased, is this likely?

I will use it for downloading photos from my camera in the field, some photoshop and dreamweaver work. Plus watching films, surfing the Internet getting emails etc. Maybe playing a few games.

Would I better with the new machine or the core 2 duo?

I hear the present one is very quick compared to a pro.

Cheers

Simon