Apple, not Intel, filed for Thunderbolt trademark

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Light Peak originally referred to its fiber optic medium. Of course, "FireWire" doesn't contain fire and "DVD" doesn't really tell you anything either. Of course you could go the literal route and call your port for displays "DisplayPort".

It's really more about aesthetics and marketing. I agree, "Light Peak" sounds sleek and futuristic, while Thunderbolt sounds like a monster truck. Pretty un-Apple.

I know what it refers to, but it still doesn't mean anything. Ask someone what they think Light Peak means, and they're as likely to tell you it's dawn at the top of a mountain.

Everyone is trying to come up with catchy names, but like most names of drugs, they don't mean anything.

I like the name Thunderbolt. A thunderbolt is a streak of visible electricity traveling at the speed of light. It's even more descriptive than Light Peak.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

How about iPeak for the name?

That means you're over the top, in your declining years.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

How about iPeak for the name?

Isn't that a bit premature, although preferable to ED
  • Reply 24 of 33
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I know what it refers to, but it still doesn't mean anything. Ask someone what they think Light Peak means, and they're as likely to tell you it's dawn at the top of a mountain.

Everyone is trying to come up with catchy names, but like most names of drugs, they don't mean anything.

I like the name Thunderbolt. A thunderbolt is a streak of visible electricity traveling at the speed of light. It's even more descriptive than Light Peak.

Not really. besides implying that its an electrical connection, Thunderbolt isn't really that descriptive either. If you want to go that route, It should be named something like PASI, the Protocol-Agnostic Serial Interface. doesn't quite roll off the tongue like 'USB' tho \
  • Reply 25 of 33
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me.

It's a nice follow up to firewire also, kinda keeps that onomatopoeia tradition.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Anything Apple names it or does with it has to have more appeal than THIS!. That ad made me take another serious look at cutting over to AMD. Couple it with those terrible MMX ads with the disco cleanroom suits. . . .
  • Reply 27 of 33
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Anything Apple names it or does with it has to have more appeal than THIS!. That ad made me take another serious look at cutting over to AMD. Couple it with those terrible MMX ads with the disco cleanroom suits. . . .

aw, you're kidding, I loved that commercial
  • Reply 28 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Electrical arcs are not something that a computer user wants associated with their machine. It usually spells trouble.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Actually, very un-Apple-like in many ways.

The oddest thing to me is combining "Thunder" and "bolt." I guess this is the Norse influence over us or something. Anyway, I think in terms of bolts of lightning and claps of thunder, lightening being the electrical phenomenon occurring in bolts, and thunder being the associated sound. Referring to a "thunderbolt" is akin to believing the of noise of a gun as what is dangerous rather than the bullet speeding out of its barrel.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    " ... similar to an earlier decision by the company to brand the IEEE 1394 technology as "FireWire."

That's the cart before the horse there, my friend. Research confirms my recollection that Apple was using FireWire on their computers years before the IEEE ratified 1394 in 1995:

http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/birk...re/history.htm

http://www.1394ta.org/press/whitepap...comparison.pdf
  • Reply 31 of 33
    abarryabarry Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Zeus is gonna be pissed.

And Odin or Thor?
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdgarvin50 View Post

" ... similar to an earlier decision by the company to brand the IEEE 1394 technology as "FireWire."

That's the cart before the horse there, my friend. Research confirms my recollection that Apple was using FireWire on their computers years before the IEEE ratified 1394 in 1995:

http://www.faculty.iu-bremen.de/birk...re/history.htm

http://www.1394ta.org/press/whitepap...comparison.pdf

OK, so I was off a decade. Must be the medication. I remember Apple announcing the technology early on, but it didn't appear on any Macs, as far as I can tell, until 1999.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Not really. besides implying that its an electrical connection, Thunderbolt isn't really that descriptive either. If you want to go that route, It should be named something like PASI, the Protocol-Agnostic Serial Interface. doesn't quite roll off the tongue like 'USB' tho \

Yeah, that would kill word of mouth cause people would hear it & think people were talking about pacifiers.

How about ePCI (pronounced epsy), kind of like eSATA. To me there are just a lot of better names than thunderbolt. Even something like AMP (Apple's Mega Port or Apple Mighty Port) or SFP (Super Fast Port)...oh wait, they already have iOS so they really don't need anymore confusion with network routing devices.