Verizon says it will get Apple's 'iPhone 5' at same time as AT&T

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Nah, the point here is that the upcoming iPhone won't have an LTE chip: the handset won't have access to any LTE network from AT&T, Verizon, whatever LTE carrier (it has been deployed in a few countries).

In 2011, <soup nazi>NO LTE FOR YOU!</soup nazi>
  • Reply 22 of 25
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    OK, a little shocked here.

Until recently I havent read much about apple at all (Linux and Android fanboy), except for stock value, so was not aware that they did not have a "world-mode" phone. I didn't think single region phones existed any more.

Could be interesting to see what effect this has on apples enterprise adoptions. As most big companies have thousands of people flying all over the world at any moment, this limitation must have held the iPhone back. This could give it a much bigger chunk of the multi-national enterprise market.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

OK, a little shocked here.

Until recently I havent read much about apple at all (Linux and Android fanboy), except for stock value, so was not aware that they did not have a "world-mode" phone. I didn't think single region phones existed any more.

Could be interesting to see what effect this has on apples enterprise adoptions. As most big companies have thousands of people flying all over the world at any moment, this limitation must have held the iPhone back. This could give it a much bigger chunk of the multi-national enterprise market.

Don't worry, there isn't enough iPhone 4 to go around the world anyways so Apple's not really "losing sales" as such.

Also, the issue is not that iPhone 4 is "single-region" (whatever that means), the GSM model covers over a hundred countries. Most GSM Android, Nokias and BB don't also cover CDMA countries.

Could you provide more info on which countries *can't* use the iPhone where a commonly available GSM Android, Nokia or BB can be used? Aren't most Android phones from Verizon CDMA and can't be used in most countries in the world? How many US Android phones can be used with China Mobile's homegrown CDMA? Can you use a US LTE phone on China's LTE?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    It would be nice to see AT&T have roll-over MBs the way they do with roll-over minutes. Then again that was a Cingulair thing - and I would imagine there are folks at AT&T who would like to get rid of that.

It is disappointing to see Verizon take the Me Too approach - hey those guys over at AT&T dropped unlimited plans so they can charge more - let's do that too. Instead of a more progressive approach - where they could use unlimited plans as an incentive to take customers away from AT&T. To me that would seem the better approach - we heard so many whining for so long about how they would drop AT&T in a heartbeat when Verizon offers the iPhone - but oh wait, you cannot talk and use data link at the same time (which I do) - so what else have you got to offer to make me switch?

At my home office - the difference in signal strength between AT&T and Verizon is minimal - they both suck monkey balls - so I got a Microcell - not sure if Verizon even offers that, do they?
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by janellelk View Post

Wait, I have an iPhone 4 through Verizon and we have both the unlimited data and text messaging.. How does this effect our contract and whatnot? Hmm... a bit confused.

You'll have unlimited data and text messaging with Verizon through the end of your contract and will continue to have unlimited data and messaging until you upgrade, or try to make a change to your contract. If Verizon changes the terms of your contract before the date the contract was due to end (for example they take away your unlimited data before your contract ended) then Verizon terminated your contract with them by breaching the terms and conditions. So you could either leave them without having to pay an early termination fee, or you can simply demand they give you your data and messaging back before you jump ship somewhere else