Apple strikes deal with Sony for streaming iTunes music service - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Thanks, Apple, for showing upstarts such as Google and Amazon how business is done.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This is looking more and more like they will reveal it during WWDC in 2.5 weeks. At least i hope we don?t have to wait much longer than that.

So what fundamental front and back end differences will separate Apple?s service from the others?

I?m guess at least delta encoding for the database and integration of the service through the iPod app in iOS 5.0. I?m not sure they can or would try to extend the service to items you didn?t buy through iTS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Not interested in commentary, my friend. Just if anyone has answers to my questions. Which are:

● Why no coverage of yesterdays Congressional privacy hearing?

● Does Apple do anything at all when a customer's private data is stolen from their devices?

It?s bad enough this guy jacks a thread but then he posts dumb shit about not being interested in commentary to then ask for commentary to his questions. That has to be Teckstud.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Thanks, Apple, for showing upstarts such as Google and Amazon how business is done.

Word. But I can see where Amazon and Google?s piddly attempt at making playlists from basic storage lockers wouldn?t need any labels to get signed.

Plus it does appear Google tried and failed to get the labels on board for some agreement. My guess is Google went in unorganized and unfocused like a kid with $100 at a toy store not knowing what he should buy.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Forgive me if I am misunderstanding something, but why would Apple need a policy? When you go grocery shopping, the grocery store doesn't have a posted policy in what it would do if your name, address, and credit card information is stolen. Accordingly, I can't see why Apple would have such as publicly posted policy.

Moreover, iCould is just a rumor. So, why would Apple have any policy for that? Unless you have a Mobile Me Account, Apple doesn't access your contact information. With Mobile Me, Apple does have such a policy.

It goes like this, "you are solely responsible and liable for any activities that occur under your Subscriber ID. If you suspect or become aware of any unauthorized use of your account please contact MobileMe Support at http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ww.";

I read that to mean, if your account is hacked, you are responsible. No company can guarantee your information is safe. Especially when their is sanctioned hacking by the Chinese government. Google lost a lot of gmail subscriber information to the Chinese (according to the Wikileaks). Google hasn't said a word on this. Yet, many people's accounts were taken over. My step father and another friend had such accounts. They both were locked out of their gmail accounts, as friends and family received emails sent from their accounts asking for money and all kinds of things. To this day, my step father's account has him locked out and Google never gave him access to his own account again. Largely because their is nobody to talk to at Google directly about Gmail. He lost years of saved emails.

Quote:

Apple's privacy policy covers all it's products. I looked at their policy and didn't see where it discussed theft at all. So I'm asking here, on a thread where Apple is introducing a service that will (according to AI) allow private data to be uploaded to their servers.

So I'll ask again, what is Apple's policy when their customers' data gets stolen? Apple is asking us to store private data, like the names, addresses, and phone numbers of our friends, family, and business associates, on devices only they can protect, like iPhone and iCloud.

Do they do anything at all when it gets stolen? If so, what?

• Reply 24 of 33
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Will it be free?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Did I miss a post covering what happened at yesterday's hearing? Because zero posts isn't ad naseum.

Apple's privacy policy covers all it's products. I looked at their policy and didn't see where it discussed theft at all. So I'm asking here, on a thread where Apple is introducing a service that will (according to AI) allow private data to be uploaded to their servers.

So I'll ask again, what is Apple's policy when their customers' data gets stolen? Apple is asking us to store private data, like the names, addresses, and phone numbers of our friends, family, and business associates, on devices only they can protect, like iPhone and iCloud.

Do they do anything at all when it gets stolen? If so, what?

Go troll somewhere else.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Why is nobody speculating about one KILLER feature that could truly be the death blow to Google & Amazon's attempts - the ability to pull down a higher-quality stream, such as Apple Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, or something better than MP3 or 256k AAC? That would truly be AWESOME.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

If it is just the tracks it recognises that I have purchased, I am going to be mighty pissed and I think it will be a big let down. I truly hope it is also any song you upload yourself and that wireless Sync of any song you upload is possible.

Apple, don't blow this.

Ah...I think you're going to be mighty pissed.It'll be impossible for Apple to know whether you have ever legitimately purchased some music any other way.

Doesn't mean it might not also let you upload stuff to your storage but that might be sandboxed in a different area and not tied in as tightly to the ecosystem. Then again, maybe the record companies have finally figured it out that making music easy to buy even as CDs and ripping is better than trying to turn back time.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big KC View Post

Why is nobody speculating about one KILLER feature that could truly be the death blow to Google & Amazon's attempts - the ability to pull down a higher-quality stream, such as Apple Lossless, Ogg Vorbis, or something better than MP3 or 256k AAC? That would truly be AWESOME.

If they aren?t going to sell lossless audio I think it?s improbable to expect them to stream lossless audio. At about 1Mbps that?s a lot of cellular data being used. It?s just not feasible to use stream 50MB for a single 4 minute song.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They get the same deal Apple will have. Labels don't want to give Apple too much control.

You mean they'd rather give control to companies that don't actually want to pay anything for their IP as opposed to companies that do pay reasonable fees for their IP?

Cozing up to Amazon really worked out well right?
  • Reply 30 of 33
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If they aren’t going to sell lossless audio I think it’s improbable to expect them to stream lossless audio. At about 1Mbps that’s a lot of cellular data being used. It’s just not feasible to use stream 50MB for a single 4 minute song.

Where I am there is a lot of free Wi-fi and no bandwidth charges when I use my own or a friend's so the option could be useful at times.

edit: I agree they won't do it though.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:

Not interested in commentary, my friend. Just if anyone has answers to my questions. Which are:

● Why no coverage of yesterdays Congressional privacy hearing?

● Does Apple do anything at all when a customer's private data is stolen from their devices?

if you are not interested in commentary, why do you come here to ask "Does Apple do anything at all when a customer's private data is stolen from their devices?" ?

Since this is a not Apple, or no Apple employees work here, all you are going to get is commentary and opinions. No facts here buddy. Just rumours and speculations and opinions and commentary.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Google lost a lot of gmail subscriber information to the Chinese (according to the Wikileaks). Google hasn't said a word on this. Yet, many people's accounts were taken over. My step father and another friend had such accounts. They both were locked out of their gmail accounts, as friends and family received emails sent from their accounts asking for money and all kinds of things. To this day, my step father's account has him locked out and Google never gave him access to his own account again. Largely because their is nobody to talk to at Google directly about Gmail. He lost years of saved emails.

That happened to my Gmail account around two weeks ago, the first I knew a wrong password login error came up on my iPhone, my password had been changed.

When I managed to reset my password by logging in on a PC and having a security code sent by SMS to my phone my inbox filled with "Undelivered message" notifications because my Google contact list consists solely of spammer's email addresses.

Sync contacts with my iPhone, not a chance, I'll leave that to MobileMe.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

WTF???

/ignore

LOL #winning