Rumor: iOS 5 won't run on Apple's iPhone 3GS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    ernstcsernstcs Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I've never had a problem with iOS4 on my 3Gs

I have even reinstalled the OS fresh as recommended a few times. Perhaps it depends on the Apps you are using and what other things are running in the background.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Hmm. Don't like this.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would be surprised if most of the regulars here ever expected the 3GS to be fully-supported with iOS5. Rather than have to deal with older hardware (ala Microsoft), Apple historically only fully supports the current and next oldest previous version of it's iPhones hasn't it? Two gen's back would be unusual for Apple.

Exactly. Hey, I think it would be cool to run OSX on a Mac Plus, too, but that just ain't gonna happen. Let's move ahead!
  • Reply 24 of 70
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

Unlike the iPhone 3G, which always had serious performance issues, there is virtually no difference in performance between the 3GS and the 4.

I don't see how there could be no performance difference when they are quite differently speced devices.

- 3Gs has a 600 Mhz A8 (stock ARM chip) and 256 MB of RAM

- 4 has an 800 Mhz A4 (custom SoC), and 512 of RAM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

... there would be no reason that iOS 5 would not run just as well on the 3GS as the 4. Any decision to not support the 3GS is purely arbitrary.

I think you are way overstating things here. The devices in question aren't that different, but they aren't identical either.

it seems to me that you're imagining a conspiracy type situation here that you actually have no evidence to support.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,413member
    Lots of clueless posts here, I'm sorry to say. Two important points:

1. the 3GS is way faster than the 3G (some people seem to be confusing the two)

2. Apple will still be selling the 3GS when iOS 5 is announced (and possibly even when it is released). So in that very important sense, the 3GS is not out of date.

I find it very hard to believe that Apple would exclude the 3GS from iOS 5 due to both of these facts, but especially #2. Apple would be giving Google and the Android makers a PR gift if they excluded a phone they are currently selling from running the newest version of iOS.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While iPhone 3G users were able to upgrade to iOS 4, the software still had missing features due to the slower hardware, like multitasking and background wallpaper.

Why would features like wallpapers and orientation locking require faster hardware and thus be unavailable on an iPhone 3G? One would think that being able to lock the screen orientation would benefit phones with slower hardware since they would not have to keep rotating the screen when the user moved the phone.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    masonsmasons Posts: 1member
    I cannot yet, get my hands on Iphone 4 32 G

masons
  • Reply 28 of 70
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I think it's fine to make a new version of the OS but they should at least make sure that the final version for each previous phone is one that runs that phone very well. I don't need a replacement for my iPhone 3G yet, but it lacks a decent OS.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Why would features like wallpapers and orientation locking require faster hardware and thus be unavailable on an iPhone 3G? One would think that being able to lock the screen orientation would benefit phones with slower hardware since they would not have to keep rotating the screen when the user moved the phone.

Steve Jobs already answered the wallpaper issue which i have you feeling you are well aware.
    Quote:

The icon animation with backgrounds didn't perform well enough.

• Reply 30 of 70
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

iOS 4 should not even run on 3GS

All the older models i've seen running the iOS 4 makes the experience of having an Apple product not what it should be.

That's it. If it's not going to make the phone better, then it shouldn't go on.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Lots of clueless posts here, I'm sorry to say. Two important points:

1. the 3GS is way faster than the 3G (some people seem to be confusing the two)

2. Apple will still be selling the 3GS when iOS 5 is announced (and possibly even when it is released). So in that very important sense, the 3GS is not out of date.

I find it very hard to believe that Apple would exclude the 3GS from iOS 5 due to both of these facts, but especially #2. Apple would be giving Google and the Android makers a PR gift if they excluded a phone they are currently selling from running the newest version of iOS.

No kidding. Adding to your comments:

1. Eldar Murtazin is an experienced Nokia/Symbian blogger. Apple? Not so much. He's got nothing.

2. The only way the 3GS can't run iOS 5.0 is due to RAM, otherwise the CPU is only about 25% slower (600 MHz to ~800 MHz) and the GPU is exactly the same. I really really doubt iOS 5 can't be run on 256 MB RAM systems as that is the amount on the iPad 1 and the iPod touch 4.

3. Yes, the 3GS is way faster than the 3G. It's CPU is about 2x faster, the GPU is way faster and the RAM is 2x as much.

4. I do believe some iOS 5 "tentpole" features may not be made available on the 3GS like personal hotspot in 4.3, but it will get most of the iOS 5 updates big features.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    We'll see how this plays out. If I had a 3Gs, I would much rather not get iOS 5 support than get the poor support that Apple gave the 3G for iOS4. Because of the excessive sluggishness, I only keep the 3G as a backup, I really don't relish the idea of using it as a primary device. It was slower without any reason to be slower, because there weren't any new features.

That said, those not on the latest OS have been historically cut off from the iOS App Store. Those that bought the 3Gs recently may be out of luck, but we'll have to see how this plays out.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That said, those not on the latest OS have been historically cut off from the iOS App Store. Those that bought the 3Gs recently may be out of luck, but we'll have to see how this plays out.

That would be discouraging to have bought a 3GS this year just to excluded from many App Store options by the end of the year and still have a contract going into 2013.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lo_fye View Post

My 3GS is already unable to cope with "Personal Hotspot" as well as the iPhone4 can. With the 3GS you can only share with 1 device at a time, as opposed to the 4 or 5 you can share with using the iPhone4.

Planned obsolesence gives you a valid-sounding reason to tell your spouse when they want to know why you *need* to upgrade

Works beautifully through Pda net.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 516member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

No kidding. Adding to your comments:

1. Eldar Murtazin is an experienced Nokia/Symbian blogger. Apple? Not so much. He's got nothing.

2. The only way the 3GS can't run iOS 5.0 is due to RAM, otherwise the CPU is only about 25% slower (600 MHz to ~800 MHz) and the GPU is exactly the same. I really really doubt iOS 5 can't be run on 256 MB RAM systems as that is the amount on the iPad 1 and the iPod touch 4.

3. Yes, the 3GS is way faster than the 3G. It's CPU is about 2x faster, the GPU is way faster and the RAM is 2x as much.

4. I do believe some iOS 5 "tentpole" features may not be made available on the 3GS like personal hotspot in 4.3, but it will get most of the iOS 5 updates big features.

Exactly. I'd be pretty shocked if they dropped the 3Gs considering it's actively being sold right now, handles GL ES 2.0 quite well, and is pretty close to iPhone4 in general CPU speed - and fill rate. Hell, you can enable 4x AA on it and get graphics that look pretty decent compared to an iPhone 4 - the 4 is already burning its fill rate on the 4x higher screen resolution.

So, maybe some features will be left off, but hopefully they don't pull an Android on it. Imagine buying your new Apple phone and finding out 2 weeks later that Apple's new OS won't run on it. It just doesn't sound correct as a rumor - you may as well say they're dropping iPad 1 support at the same time. It's all possible, but not likely.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

... Imagine buying your new Apple phone and finding out 2 weeks later that Apple's new OS won't run on it. It just doesn't sound correct as a rumor - you may as well say they're dropping iPad 1 support at the same time. It's all possible, but not likely.

Anyone know what OS is on a 3Gs today if you buy one?

Apple's policy talks about upgrades based on the OS version on the device when you buy it. If they are selling 3Gs's with iOS 4 installed, there's a very good argument to be made for enabling upgrades to iOS 5.0.

If on the other hand it comes out of the box with 3.0 and has to be upgraded, that's a message right there.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Dear Apple,

Let's not fragment the iOS user base by leaving iPhone 3GS users without at least some subset of iOS 5 features. I mean, I have a 4, but c'mon. If you're going force obsolescence of hardware this aggressively, you might as well sell perpetual hardware subscriptions.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    stigsherostigshero Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Interesting comparison since the original iPhone is identical to the iPhone 3G, save for its 2G radio, yet it "can't run" iOS 4. Unfortunately, the line Apple draws is arbitrary, and though they may give a technically-based explanation, it doesn't have to make technical sense. It rarely does. Take the lack of home screen wallpapers on the 3G, for instance.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

iOS 4 should not even run on 3GS

All the older models i've seen running the iOS 4 makes the experience of having an Apple product not what it should be.

That is absolute BS! You have no idea what you are talking about. iOS 4 runs great on the 3Gs.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    brian greenbrian green Posts: 662member
    As a long standing rule with Apple hardware products I will skip generations. I bought the first iPhone, and skipped the 3G. I bought the 3Gs and skipped the 4. When the iPhone 5 is released, I'll upgrade to it. I'll give my mom the 3Gs without the SIM to be used as an iPod Touch with wifi. I'm not sure that I agree that Apple is making a wise choice by denying 3Gs users an upgrade to iOS 5, especially when it's selling them right now in their stores without a warning to their customers. I'd like to think that Apple would warn it's customers that their product will reach obsolescence before the calendar year is out, much less before their contract with AT&T is fulfilled. It's one thing for readers of this, and similar forums, to say that it's not a big deal because "everyone knows", but in truth, there are a lot of people who do not visit these forums who are Apple customers who stand to be screwed over by what you're suggesting. I know Steve tends to have one hell of a temper and doesn't mind pounding people into the ground for his own amusement, but it seems to me that Apple ought to forewarn current 3Gs buyers that their product won't be able to be updated in just a couple months. If the customer is cool with that, so be it, but at least they'd be warned.