Apple's iPhone PR team reportedly inviting UK press to cover WWDC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    cpr1cpr1 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

Twice (see your follow up post) you have used "its" when you mean "it's", the contraction which translates as "it is". Correct grammar does not equate with Nazism or Fascism merely a modicum of intelligence and education as well as a desire to not sound as if one is a boorish clod.

Well, if we're nitpicking, let's not forget a bit of punctuation.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

...If they don't change the look in some way, those who don't like the current glass back....

The iPhone 5 will be cut from of a single block of glass, the way Apple cuts a Macbook out of a block of aluminum.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

oh yeah. and a certain element of professionalism. it's not like these guys are thirteen year-old fanboys "writing" from their mom's basement. (are they?)

if you want to be taken seriously, ai, then you might want to invest in a proof-reader fanboy-friend or the equivalent. i'm amazed that this crap (and sometimes it is crap) gets aggregated on the bigger sites.

"professionalism isn't dead; ai is."

And apparently so are uppercase letters at the beginning of sentences.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justfine View Post

Twice (see your follow up post) you have used "its" when you mean "it's", the contraction which translates as "it is". Correct grammar does not equate with Nazism or Fascism merely a modicum of intelligence and education as well as a desire to not sound as if one is a boorish clod.

My iPhone must be lacking intelligence because something's it autocorrects the wrong way almost 100% of the time. Does that make me a boorish clod when I mis those mistakes? Especially in the context of posting in an on line forum like this!
  • Reply 25 of 38
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

And apparently so are uppercase letters at the beginning of sentences.

While I do expect a lot more out of articles composed for the AI web site I don't expect precision in grammar in the forums. For one this is a substitute for verbal communications as such correcting people's communications here is about as polite as correcting somebody that you are having a normal conversation with.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They have a 960x540 resolution OLED display which is pretty close to the iPhone 4.

I'm not sure that is the true pixels. Just listening to Thisismynext podcast and they're discussing this and they all seemed to agree that it's not the true pixels.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

5MP cameras are so yesterday.

Even though there are rumors the next iPhone will have 8 MP sensor I still think the existing sensor is fine as it is. the pictures is already tough to upload or send via e-mail at full resolution. The 8 MP is just for bragging.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My iPhone must be lacking intelligence because something's it autocorrects the wrong way almost 100% of the time. Does that make me a boorish clod when I mis those mistakes? Especially in the context of posting in an on line forum like this!

U mean like:

"I'll be in and out of cunt all day"

"Court! I meant court!"

damnyouautocorrect.com

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 29 of 38
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    I'm interested in ios5 and lion more than a new iPhone. Since I got my iPad 2 wifi+3G I barely touch the iPhone 4 for anything other than phone calls. I am actually getting 3 days between charges as it is used so infrequently.

My contract is now up so I can upgrade at any point (I have 2 iPhone contracts 1 year apart) if the iPhone released is a 4s then I might pickup a wp7 handset to play around with then get the iPhone 5 next summer.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I'm not sure that is the true pixels. Just listening to Thisismynext podcast and they're discussing this and they all seemed to agree that it's not the true pixels.

Must be like the first plasma tv's that were 1024x768 but displayed 720p
  • Reply 31 of 38
    munglermungler Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I do expect a lot more out of articles composed for the AI web site I don't expect precision in grammar in the forums. For one this is a substitute for verbal communications as such correcting people's communications here is about as polite as correcting somebody that you are having a normal conversation with.

Hear, hear. Thank you wizard69 for being the voice of reasonableness, which I tried - and failed - to be earlier.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This might just be the first time I will skip a generation of iPhone.

This might just be the first time I buy one.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

This might just be the first time I will skip a generation of iPhone.

This might be the second time I skip a generation. I let the first iPhone slide, as many did.

But then I chased the iPhone 3G to the ends of the earth, got it, then a year later won an iPhone 3GS in a competition (which was also fraught with frustration due to lack of stock, the telco wouldn't give me the prize for several months).

iPhone4 was a wait-and-see because of the "issues" so I was late to that party (also because of having to wait for a local official launch). I just got my iPhone 4 about half a year ago so I've got a long way to go on my two-year contract. I sincerely hope they release an iPhone 4S not iPhone 5 for selfish reasons.

In any case as I mentioned my useless telco will not fix iPhone4s for months, so I'm pretty much sick of telcos. I just wish I could buy the phone from Apple directly, unfortunately in this country... well you know the rest. No official Apple Stores, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Even though there are rumors the next iPhone will have 8 MP sensor I still think the existing sensor is fine as it is. the pictures is already tough to upload or send via e-mail at full resolution. The 8 MP is just for bragging.

Red eye reduction and a better sensor would be more important than 8MP. My issue is the current iPhone4 shutter speed always is a little slower than I would like, resulting in blurry pictures in cloudy sunlight. 720p video recording is excellent, though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

U mean like:

"Court! I meant court!"

damnyouautocorrect.com

Cheers,

Phil

• Reply 34 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They have a 960x540 resolution OLED display which is pretty close to the iPhone 4. However, it?s a 4.3? display which brings the pixels down to 218ppi compared to the 326ppi of the iPhone 4. I wonder how that affects the look? Can you make out the pixels? Is that resolution based on sub-pixels or true pixels?

A friend has one and it looks great. OLED displays tend to look less pixelated than traditional LCDs in general. The fact that the screen is bigger only gives it more of a wow-factor. Samsung are fast overtaking HTC as the Android manufacturer of choice.

I'd never buy one personally though. I've got too much invested in the Apple ecosystem.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    sciwizsciwiz Posts: 77member
    The display in the Samsung Galaxy S2 is Super AMOLED+. The "+" part refers to the true RGB sub-pixel arrangement, not the RGBG pentile arrangement they used in the original Galaxy S.

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amole...tion-explained

• Reply 36 of 38
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a report by UK blog ElectricPig, Apple has been "approaching journalists from major publications" to encourage their attendance, ostensibly evidence that Apple plans to release new iPhone hardware.

Or it means that they would like the press to be as worldwide as the developers. The software they are talking about is huge and it would be great to have the world as excited as the US. ANd perhaps not feeding the coffers of US blog sites to find out what's going on.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

U mean like:

"Court! I meant court!"

damnyouautocorrect.com

Cheers,

Phil

That site is really funny in a sad kind of way
  • Reply 38 of 38
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:

Not exactly. For these events, they typically invite a filtered list of Apple-friendly tech journalists and bloggers. If this story has merit (90% of the time, it's hot air), then Apple is expanding that circle for a special reason.

I believe the UK is Apple's second largest market outside of the US, and perhaps it has something to do with NFC payment systems with the looming 2012 Olympics.