Prominent hedge fund manager calls for Microsoft's Ballmer to step down

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 117
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Should we start a please-let-steve-ballmer-stay-CEO-at-microsoft fan club?

Create a Facebook page and inside a week you'll have 60,000 friends!
  • Reply 102 of 117
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Here in the US a million is a thousand thousand = 1 000 000.00 (10^6)

and a billion is a thousand million = 1 000 000 000.00, which is known as a miliard or a mil million elsewhere. (10^9) [@diamondgeeza: What term do you use for this quantity?]

A trillion is a thousand billion or a million million = 1 000 000 000 000.00, which is also known as a billion in other cultures. (10^12)

In the UK, it is also true that 1 million = 10^6, 1 billion = 10^9 and 1 trillion = 10^12.

As far as UK citizens go, It's only people living in the past that think 1 billion = 10^12. All British media use the correct definitions above and have done so since 1974, when we officially switched from "long scale" to "short scale". See here.
  • Reply 103 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratsg View Post

I'm going to argue this point. m$ word was never intended to write a book with. Its purpose is to write 1 or 2 page office messages.

If you're going to be writing one or two page office messages, proposals, etc, then there are some wonderful choices:

TextEdit (free from Apple)

Bean (free)

Pages

myWritings, myTexts Pro, myRichTexts ($20 and under from MyOwnApps)

Textmate

And others that can be found by checking MacUpdate.

Word is useless for long texts and is too bloated for shorter works.
  • Reply 104 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Now, if only the Apple Board of directors could hear the call for change...:

Yes! tell the BoD loudly and clearly that we want matte screens! Matte Matte Matte! Do you hear me? We Want Matte! <ducks...>

• Reply 105 of 117
    Quote:

Word is useless for long texts

This seems to be a common notion.

It is however, bullshit.

I used Word for my 364 page Electronic Engineering PhD thesis and had no problems. The problem with Word is that the vast majority don't know how to use it properly; it is far more powerful than most people need.
  • Reply 106 of 117
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Concern?

I have had as much fun with this story as anybody -- since I first read it on the financial newswires.

But, my initial reaction was that I wasn't comfortable with the story.

I can't say exactly what it is, maybe:

-- the analyst was unqualified for this type of analysis

-- the analysis was faulty

-- improper forum to present his analysis

-- improper recommendation - exceeds financial analysis and recommendation to investors

It feels like this analyst is trying to meddle in the organization and operation of a public company.

A line may have been crossed, here -- and it makes me uncomfortable as an investor.
  • Reply 107 of 117
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I used Word for my 364 page Electronic Engineering PhD thesis and had no problems.

From now on I am thinking of you as Dr. H.
  • Reply 108 of 117
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,861member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

From now on I am thinking of you as Dr. H.

I'm just glad I wasn't on his committee.
  • Reply 109 of 117
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

This seems to be a common notion.

It is however, bullshit.

I used Word for my 364 page Electronic Engineering PhD thesis and had no problems. The problem with Word is that the vast majority don't know how to use it properly; it is far more powerful than most people need.

I'm working presently as CTO in a attorney office, I debug users with MS word every day. I see big files has yours working in Word like a charm. And then if you go a little deeper an start to use "advanced" features made to be useful like the document map view or changes track now you begin to face all sort of weirdness. I discover this week a bug with the document map view being there since Office 97 and never being fixe or come with a workaround ever since. Today one user at the office got its Word lock up with the beach ball for 1 minutes for every command he's doing on an hundred pages document while using the compare document function.

The major problem with MS Office (Win or Mac) come from it's inconstancy. The Mac and Windows version is two very very different beast with different codes and UI. Everything is reacting differently on both OS. Even within the same program you got multiple ways to do the same things and got different results. I once read a old email from Bill Gate complaining on keeping 5 functions for leap years within Excels.

Everything is redundant with Microsoft.
  • Reply 110 of 117
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

This analyst is just stating the obvious:

1- A CEO's position is not a life appointment, but a temporary assignment to meet stated, mutually agreed, business objectives;

2- 8 to 10 years is considered to be the optimal duration for a CEO's appointment, after which he should resign, retire or be fired by the Board of directors;

3- It is important to maintain a renewal of company executives to favour retention of talent, fight dictatorial leaders, corporate abuse of power, misappropriation of funds, escalation of costs, stock option giveaways and misallocation of funds or staff in dubious pursuits;

4- With each new executive, there is a reassessment of corporate objectives and the cost to meet them, as well as an opportunity to examine fresh ideas, new business ventures and corporate strategies.

Resisting change always lead to staleness and escalating costs. In the long term, this means a less profitable company.

Now, if only the Apple Board of directors could hear the call for change...

Ah, nice to see that the anti-Jobs troll, ouragan, is back!

Been waiting for you to pop for a while now.......
  • Reply 111 of 117
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, nice to see that the anti-Jobs troll, ouragan, is back!

Been waiting for you to pop for a while now.......

<excised, repeat of months ago, echoic of this catch>
  • Reply 112 of 117
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm just glad I wasn't on his committee.

Why? It was deeply fascinating, honest guv
  • Reply 113 of 117
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Apple definitely needs matte displays I hate the glare!

The new Apple keyboard and mouse also need work. The aluminum keyboard is horrible for heavy typing, and well Apple mice have always been a joke. They need work on the ergonomics, real buttons (sensors suck) and a thicker wire (super flimsy now).

Quote:

Yes! tell the BoD loudly and clearly that we want matte screens! Matte Matte Matte! Do you hear me? We Want Matte! <ducks...>

• Reply 114 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ratsg View Post

If it was up to microsoft, we would all be running windows, and all the Unix platforms and the Mac would be dead. But, I really don't care what microsoft thinks. And I suspect that you don't either, or you wouldn't be here.

I think that the real question here is do you believe the m$ post that you quoted below? And if you do, is your belief based on your work experience, or something else.

As far as your FrameMaker comment, I am not a book author, but I have been required to work on and participate with technical documentation in the multi-3 figure range. FrameMaker is/was a godsend. I would not want to have performed the required work on ms word.

disclaimer - 99% of my FrameMaker work has been on Solaris, not Mac OS.

I guess it depends on whether you think that books area all about layout or if you're more concerned about the content.

Word is more than suitable to write a novel. For the average novel (which is what you commented on), Word is better than Framemaker because of its simplicity. For that matter, iPages, TextEdit or Notepad is good enough. You see, novels are about the content, not about the layout.

Even for a complex scientific book, Word is fine for the author. Granted, it won't produce the finished layout that you send to the printer, but that's what the editor should be doing.
  • Reply 115 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Word is useless for long texts and is too bloated for shorter works.

Nonsense. I know someone who has written 2 dozen books in Word.

For that matter, I did my PhD thesis in Word.

And it's more than suitable for one page memos.

Now, that's not to say that it's the BEST tool for the job, but it certainly works fine. My biggest complaint about Word is its lousy handling of formatting. But that has nothing to do with the document size.
  • Reply 116 of 117
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I guess it depends on whether you think that books area all about layout or if you're more concerned about the content.

Whether you are writing a book or creating some loooong technical documentation, its always about the content. But content is not the point of this discussion.

Quote:

Word is more than suitable to write a novel. For the average novel (which is what you commented on),

I am sure that you could create the next "War and Peace", and type it up in vi just to make a point.

Regardless of my personal preferences, and to move this discussion on to reference other technical writing professionals, I would share that I own many O'Reilly books and manuals. In referencing the Colophon at the end of each book, 90+% of these books indicate that they were created using FrameMaker. None of the O'Reilly books I own make any reference to the use of ms word, or any other microsoft product being used in their creation.

Quote:

Word is better than Framemaker because of its simplicity.

And I would argue that FrameMaker, or another professional writing tool, is better than word as it has been written to address the needs of a professional environment, vs something that is loaded on to a Packard Bell from wall-mart as value add software.

I really didn't consider FrameMaker that difficult to pick up, but if your having difficulty, I suppose I could loan you a reference manual or two.

Quote:

For that matter, iPages, TextEdit or Notepad is good enough. You see, novels are about the content, not about the layout.

There's that diversion to content again. I have reviewed my post from this article and I don't feel that I have made any reference to content. If you are making a point here relevant to our discussion, I am missing it.
  • Reply 117 of 117
    ratsgratsg Posts: 53member
    Quote:

Now, that's not to say that it's the BEST tool for the job, but it certainly works fine. My biggest complaint about Word is its lousy handling of formatting. But that has nothing to do with the document size.

THANK YOU!!!

This is the sole point I have been trying to make.

Given limited resources, many people can make due with what ever is at hand.

But for the best efficiencies and the best end product, it is important to use the right tool for the job you need to perform.