Videophone patent owner accuses Apple of infringement with iPhone, iTunes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No they were just the first to patent it, big difference. Every patent is a good "idea". Some are quickly implemented while others not. Regardless, one has to get a license to use said idea.

I disagree. An idea is very general and vague. The method in which an idea is implemented is much more specific. The method is what should be patented. This leaves others to create and innovate to implement and build upon other people's ideas, without using their specific methods, to create competition. If a general idea was allowed to be patented, there would be an instant monopoly by the patent holder unless they licensed it to others. That's not how the system is supposed to work.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No they were just the first to patent it, big difference. Every patent is a good "idea". Some are quickly implemented while others not. Regardless, one has to get a license to use said idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

WRONG! You can't patent an idea (although the copyright office seems to often forget that). You're supposed to be able to only patent the implementation of an idea. And while every patent is a good idea, not every good idea is patentable.

So I can't patent the IDEA of a flying car. Or a holographic computer display. On the idea of a solar operated car. And I can't copyright a genre, like a science-fiction novel. But I can patent specific technology that makes a flying car, a holographic computer display or a solar operated car possible.

I completely agree with zoetmb. I haven't looked at the patents, but I'd be willing to bet that since this company makes no actual products that they are just ideas with no specifics as how to implement them with actual technology. A physical description of device (video phone with buttons) and a central service and its purpose don't qualify as a specific implementation idea.

Put it this way: Suppose someone had patented an idea of a self-powered transportation device and described it as having 4 wheels, a passenger cabin, and controls for one of the passengers to maneuver the device. Would this be a legitimate patent? You may ask about timing or the fact that there were already horse-drawn carriages prior to cars. But there was already servers, phones, and video devices prior to these patents.

My point? Ideas are not patentable. Even if they were, taken other people's ideas and putting them together wouldn't be right anyway. Only specific methods or processes should be patentable.