Apple's iCloud music service to scan, mirror iTunes libraries

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OH. Streaming music as a paid service. I kind of see what you mean now. But now it becomes useful/sensible/sane ONLY for the pirated music crowd.

For those of us who pay for music, the question becomes: Why the frick should I pay monthly to listen to music I already own and can put on my iDevice?

The only benefit to you would be access to your entire catalogue on the go without interfacing with iTunes. If that was a fast service, and worked with genius ( I expect it would) then you could just get to listen to your own songs ( which are your favourites) anywhere without any catalog manipulation yourself, *or* by doing it on the fly. You could play your Jazz collection by year, or by artist. All of it, if they have recognised all of it.

To be honest it is more of a service, I would say. for people with 20,000 songs than those of use with 500. I can keep all mine on my iPhone ( but I would prefer space for apps, though).

As for the technical problems - I worked on something like this. For the most part a song is uniquely identified by its artist, album, and song title. Thats all you need. Either APple have the rights to that song, so it can appear on your iPhone, or it doesnt, so it wont.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Yes, it will be technically difficult to identify some songs. But there are programs now that don't rely on simple metrics like file sizes or hashes. There are programs that can identify a song by "listening" to it.

This makes me wonder if that we?re going to see is not music cloud sync service they other tried to use but a music streaming site that is interwoven into your iTS library.

For instance, You?d get access to stream all the songs you want from the cloud for a monthly free at 256kbps with none of those sounds ever permanently residing on your device. Just streaming of your music in Genius playlists, started playlists and such you great on your iTunes account. The files get synced and they are as good as gold;

If will mot replace your crappy versions of the song. It will not downscale your Lossless audio. I will simply be a great streaming service that integrates with your own media to find you the best music.

So could this licensing simply be Apple?s attempt to create a digital radio station that mirrors iTunes?
  • Reply 63 of 63
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    I really don't get the purpose of streaming my iTunes. I suppose Apple could be using this in an effort to build a device with reduce memory capacity, but why would I stream if I have my stuff on my device (and my other device, and my other device), and then have pay for that streaming?

I can certainly understand media with higher file sizes like movies, but I can already do this.