Another touch sensor maker will join Apple's list of iPad 2 suppliers in June

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple continues to add component makers to its overseas supply chain, as Chimei Innolux is expected to begin shipping touch sensors for the iPad 2 in June.

Chimei recently signed a technology licensing agreement to create LCD displays with the in-plane switching technology Apple employs in the iPad. And according to DigiTimes, the company also recently began the development of touch sensors, and plans to begin shipping products to Apple in June.

With IPS displays and touch sensors, Chimei aims to become a one-stop shop for panel production and touchscreen components. Even final assembly is part of the chain, as Chimei is an affiliate of Foxconn Technology Group, Apple's overseas manufacturing partner.

The primary panel suppliers for the iPad 2 are currently LG Display and Samsung Electronics. Friday's report indicated that LG remains Apple's "major supplier," as Samsung directly competes with the iPad with its own Galaxy Tab.

LG is expected to ship three million 9.7-inch displays to Apple in May. That's an increase from the two million the company is said to have provided for iPad production in April.

The news of yet another supplier comes quickly after it was said this week that Taiwan's Coretronic will begin providing backlights to Apple for iPad 2 production. Apple has continued to add companies to its supply chain in an effort to increase production and availability of the iPad 2.

And in April, it was said that Apple was testing yet another LED backlight maker in its iPad 2 supply chain. Everlight Electronics reportedly delivered samples of its LED backlight products to Apple, though no decisions were revealed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    The more suppliers the better! What more can be said? Just as long as quality is up to par and I have no doubts Apple make sure of that.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The more suppliers the better! What more can be said? Just as long as quality is up to par and I have no doubts Apple make sure of that.

Well, the quality of the first batch of displays on the iPad 2 was sub-par (backlight bleeding). My MacBook Pro 2010 13" which I bought just as the new ones came out has some backlight bleeding issues as well. Another challenge is Apple needs to start to hit the 6 million iPad-a-month target while maintaining quality or there'll be "disappointment" in the investor community.

That said, my MBP 2010 13", iPhone4 and iPad2 are still some of the best and most essential technology devices I have ever used or needed to use, and Apple is going through a massive growth phase.

I waited one month for my iPhone4 to be replaced due to a niggling Home button but the whole phone was finally replaced. My MBP, the backlight bleed isn't that bad because of the overall quality of the display. The iPad2, well, it might be a few weeks to replace it and I can't be without it so will suck up the display issue for now. Nothing too vexing.

What more can be said? I wish Apple the best... They need to continue to ramp production of iPhone and iPad, and the Japan issue is a lingering threat. I'm keeping an eye on Android, to see how it may benefit me. However there's nothing outrageously impressive in Android for work or play yet.