Apple's iCloud may offer remote storage of movies, TV shows at launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

I think you'll be surprised at how quickly that happens. Of course, some people will always manage to fill their devices up regardless of how much storage they have.

iCloud looks like yet another stab by Apple at trying to do something "in the cloud". Will it be any more successful than all their previous attempts? Maybe. Maybe not. One thing is for sure. Unless it's free, a lot less people will use it than they anticipate.

I'd rather see tiered services.

Basic sync services = free

Step up services - low cost

Whole Kit & Kaboodle - premium pricing.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Apple will not make users sign up for an @icloud.com email. The iCloud service and cloud domain will be portals the same way iTunes Store work with various email addresses. It's about the service contacting to your digital life, not contorting your digital life to use an new email address.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

I've always wondered what would happen if the record companies could scan my library and then request proof that I still have the CD I bought in 1992 that I ripped but no longer have because I...er...uh, "lost" it.

Why do you think they are likely going to charge for this. Pay off the labels for that ripped music etc.

As for the whole tv/movie thing. I'm thinking there is no plan for this to be at launch. Not if launch is next week. Too soon to get the deals worked out. Not to mention going in phases means they can adjust for issues and not have another MobileMe cock up
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why do you think they are likely going to charge for this. Pay off the labels for that ripped music etc.

I hope there is a paid version simply because I don't like ads and want accountability, but in general this service depends on how much value the ecosystem is to Apple's HW sales. Thinking of it those terms makes me think the whole thing could be free, even though I doubt it.

Quote:

As for the whole tv/movie thing. I'm thinking there is no plan for this to be at launch. Not if launch is next week. Too soon to get the deals worked out. Not to mention going in phases means they can adjust for issues and not have another MobileMe cock up

They announced the AppleTV before they had any deals with content owners, save for Disney/MGM. I think that is what niched the AppleTV so I'd expect Apple will have inked deal with the studios before this launches even if the article says differently.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Most likely, you will not be storing anything on the cloud.

What is most likely going to happen is, iTunes will send the meta data to the cloud, you will then access the music, movie or TV shows that Apple already have on their server.

So when you access the music files, you are accessing the files on the iTune music store.

If the music that you have doesn't match anything on the database, maybe you get to upload it.

It doesn't make any sense for Apple to store same files, if you have Lady Gaga album, why save the same copy of Lady Gaga album?
  • Reply 26 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    All I want is free email. that would make Apple more competitive with Google and it could make better use of iAd (I'd put up with an iAd if the email was free).
  • Reply 27 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I don't mind tiered pricing, but for basic things that Google already offers for free, Apple should do the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'd rather see tiered services.

Basic sync services = free

Step up services - low cost

Whole Kit & Kaboodle - premium pricing.

• Reply 28 of 48
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

Maybe I am missing something here, but I don't want to store music or video "in the cloud".

Disk space/flash memory is cheap and is getting cheaper all the time. Soon we'll have mobile devices with more memory than we know what to do with. Why do I need to stream something from a digital locker? My phone/iPod IS my digital locker. If I lose it, it's all backed up on my Mac.

Before too long there will be mobile devices with a terabyte of storage on them. For 99% of people that is more than enough.

Honestly, the whole cloud service is a complete and utter waste of time and money. I already have Dropbox if I want to store documents or put photos online and that is FREE. I used to have iTools, then .Mac and that was a complete waste of money. Unless iCloud is free, I fail to see how it will be worth having. Even then, I can't see myself using it.

...And you registered this month -- just to tell us abut your long history with Apple Cloud solutions and how "that was a complete waste of money".

Thank's for enlightening us!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

All I want is free email. that would make Apple more competitive with Google and it could make better use of iAd (I'd put up with an iAd if the email was free).

Quote:

I don't mind tiered pricing, but for basic things that Google already offers for free, Apple should do the same.

That's the thing, Google doesn't offer any of these for free and Apple isn't offering any single product that anyone else is offering up for free. Except for Find My iPhone/iPad which Apple has since made free even though other services charge for the app (Android Market) or for the service (AT&T).
  • Reply 30 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am less interested in music and movies in the cloud than how iCloud will, if at all, integrate with mobileME, and iwork.com.

I haven't heard anyone mention iWork.com in a while. It would be nice to see that mentioned in all this revamp etc
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    I just hope the service is free for current MM subscribers.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jglavin View Post

I just hope the service is free for current MM subscribers.

Considering MM costs $99, I would hope that it becomes the high-end premium version of iCloud.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In addition to agreements with music labels, Apple is also said to be pursuing licensing deals with movie and TV studios that would allow users to remotely store and stream copyrighted video content via the forthcoming iCloud service.

For all the press that the iCloud services is getting, very little of the speculation goes beyond the obvious iTunes library mirroring, syncing, streaming etc and now with talk of the same ability with movie studio content.

I think that Apple is going to include much stronger social networking aspect with both photos and movies. For all the content creation tools that Apple has put in the hands of everyone, they haven't been able to create an easy way to share with the larger community of users; instead, others have done that. Given that the iPhone is the most popular camera for photos on Flicker and that iMovies can now be edited on the iPhone and iPad, making iCloud more like a hybrid Flicker/Youtube services of sorts would be a natural for Apple. To really succeed socially it would have to start with a large free-entry area, with paid premium add-ons for those who want to spring for that. And they will be touting iCloud for improved document sharing with the improved iWork suite. Such services, together with the expected iTunes music/hollywood, would warrant a data center of this size.

Just my own speculation, but I hope that there is something similar to this. I've been a user of MobileMe from the get go and find it very useful, but have been expecting much more from this effort. More polish and fast, smooth responsiveness. Looks <maybe> like we're going to start to get it ( ... crosses fingers ...).
  • Reply 34 of 48
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    I am with you guys for the most part but what happens when I loose those files. I lost Itunes files before and it was a pain to have to go back and repurchase every one so I can see a use for this from that standpoint. I hope the over the air updates thing finally happens. I hate that my Ipad has to be tethered to a Itunes on a traditional computer. I also think Apple should do Itunes for Android. Why should they limit themselves to windows and OSX and iOS. They should try to support everything they can with Itunes and their App Store.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Amen!
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I love the whole "we will have a terrabyte" argument. When? Not now so this service is valuable now. My iPad has 16G. Enough for a movie which isn't HD. Not enough for a TV season.

And I want apps on the machine. The rest I can stream.

That's what I believe accept for personal documents.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    cigsmcigsm Posts: 3member
    Wait you didn't pay for something, so you're only choice is to steal it? LMFAO.

I love the new Altima. I ditched transportation years ago...So my only choice is to steal one.

How about your choices are:

1. Subscribe to HBO

2. Wait for the DVDs

3. Wait until it's released on iTunes.

4. Go to a friends.

5. NOT WATCH IT

I love your sense of entitlement, like your OWED the opportunity to watch Game of Thrones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spliff monkey View Post

We're a long way from a terrabyte on an iPhone. My idevices are feeling full at this point. Not having to synch to a computer to get my media would be nice. You do realize that's probably the point right? Synch without a computer doesn't make sense to you or sound like a service you wouldn't use?

On a side note, IMO HBO (and others) need to get over their overprotective attitude and support the new model. Love game of thrones for instance... not on itunes... i ditched cable years ago... so my only choice is a torrent. If I didn't have to take the extra steps to transcode, add meta data etc and only had to pay the 2.99/ ep I'd do it in a heartbeat, but who wants to watch a show your friends already watched last year? These guys just love to shoot themselves in the foot.

• Reply 38 of 48
    Man do they have folks guessing.

I suspect they will "match" your storage to your device. Enroll a 64 gb iPad.. They match your storage in the cloud gb to gb. Makes a lot of sense, and encourages consumer behavior. The more you buy the more you get. All music allowed to be uploaded from library. If bought in iTMS no hit to your limit. They show the new space in iTunes where you see current size and contents. No movies. Also iWork apps now sync to the cloud and a new iOS API allows app developers to do the same in safe apple supplied containers.

In can take a stab at the finances of this later tonight. How about BUYIN via in app purchase of the new phone app? Enrollment with iTunes account NOT tied to mobile me..

Oh, and I also think buying an iServer or Remote Mac in the cloud is coming to a theatre near you.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    MobileMe has changed a lot since the old iTools days. But if you consider how much Apple (and the rest of the world) has changed since January 2000, MobileMe looks old-timey.

I signed up for iTools the instant I heard Steve Jobs announce it at MWSF 2000. I was streaming the keynote on my Tangerine iBook. I'll be watching again next Tuesday. Looking forward to iCloud + MobileMe 2.0.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cigsm View Post

Wait you didn't pay for something, so you're only choice is to steal it? LMFAO.

I love the new Altima. I ditched transportation years ago...So my only choice is to steal one.

How about your choices are:

1. Subscribe to HBO

2. Wait for the DVDs

3. Wait until it's released on iTunes.

4. Go to a friends.

5. NOT WATCH IT

I love your sense of entitlement, like your OWED the opportunity to watch Game of Thrones.

Entitlement? Please. I love your condescending tone for starters. I'm talking about ONE, ONE TV show that I torrent because HBO would rather stick to the old way of doing things.

90+ % of my library, music, movies and TV was purchased through the ITS and honestly I've had enough debates with the "you're an idiot for buying DRM'd media" to understand there are two sides to this divided story. I'm willing to follow Apple's current model and wait till the next day after the show airs, but to wait months makes it irrelevant. Stealing is a strong word for such a grey issue. Haven't you ever had anyone make you a copy of a movie or a CD? A portion of my library is from cd's that I've resold. I wouldn't be surprised if yours was too. Should we all go to jail for that? You're attempt at making this a black and white is misleading at best. Honestly, keep drinking the koolaid.

The point is that rather than being fearful of the tech one should use it to solve the problem. ie embrace it and make it so convenient that no one would never bother with the nuisance of "stealing it". Of course we have no other industries to compare this to... oh wait. This isn't anything like the record industry is it?

I make films for a living and I don't see torrents as THE problem. The problem are narrow minded, paranoid distributors that can't make their media available via distribution methods that a significant audience prefers today and most will prefer in the future. Optical media is a dinosaur. I would imagine we'll at least buy our movies on memory sticks even at B&M stores in the future. The VAST majority of normal consumers would never bother with a torrent. I think it's a PITA and I'm an experienced user, so how much money is really being lost? I'm making a pitch against studios treating their media like it's the holy grail that must be guarded from heathens. The knee jerk reaction is to assume someone want to "steal" a TV show, but the truth is if it's more convenient to "steal" then aren't you essentially leaving the keys in the ignition, with the doors wide open of your crappy Altima? (BTW pick a better car for your analogy next time, because personally I wouldn't bother stealing anything short of and M class BMW or a E class Merc. Oh the A8 is very nice too. )

It's entertainment and the best model for any movie or album is to distribute it through as many money making channels as possible. Period. To ignore the growth and demand for digital distribution is asinine and short sited. At best you're dismissing a potential market. Some Indie films have done so with success and taken even further by offering their movies as pre-releases. It's a very successful model no matter what one can say. Apple has proven it over and over gain. Of course you would probably support the rant from that aging relic at rolling stone magazine as well.