Rumor: Apple certifying components for third-gen iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Just months after launching the iPad 2 to sell-out crowds, Apple has reportedly begun certifying components for the next-generation iPad, according to sources out of the Far East.

Industry publication DigiTimes cited sources at Taiwanese component makers, noting that some makers have already received certifications for parts, while others are currently in the process of certification. LED backlight units from Radiant Opto-Electronics were specifically mentioned as having landed certification.

"Taiwan-based component makers for backlight modules and light bars have received certification from Apple, however, the certification of panels is still in progress, added industry sources," the report read.

Sources also downplayed recent rumors that Apple was in talks with Samsung to switch to an AMOLED display for the next iPad. The report claimed Apple "will still adopt 9.7-inch LCD panels," with Taiwan-based Chimei Innolux close to receiving certification of its panels. Component makers expect the iPad 3 to arrive in 2012.

It should be noted, however, that DigiTimes has an uneven track record with Apple predictions via Asian suppliers.

Early reports on the iPad 3 initially suggested that Apple could release the next-generation iPad at the end of 2011. However, Apple appeared to quash those rumors in March when it dubbed 2011 "the year of iPad 2."

According to one analyst, Apple will introduce a Retina Display-like panel on the iPad 3 with a doubled resolution of 2048x1536. Apple had reportedly hoped to include the higher-resolution display in the iPad 2, but ran into last-minute "engineering issues."

Last week, Samsung filed a court motion to obtain advance copies of the next-generation iPad by June 13, 2011, though the company admitted that it had no knowledge that Apple was developing the device, instead relying on "internet reports" and "Apple's past practice." The motion came in response to a similar motion by Apple. The iPhone maker is suing Samsung for "crossing the line" and copying Apple's look and feel of its smartphones and tablets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Last week, Samsung filed a court motion to obtain advance copies of the next-generation iPad by June 13, 2011, though the company admitted that it had no knowledge that Apple was developing the device, instead relying on "internet reports" and "Apple's past practice." The motion came in response to a similar motion by Apple. The iPhone maker is suing Samsung for "crossing the line" and copying Apple's look and feel of its smartphones and tablets.

So as of last week, Apple hadn't requested any components from Samsung to certify? Hmmmmm
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Early reports on the iPad 3 initially suggested that Apple could release the next-generation iPad at the end of 2011. However, Apple appeared to quash those rumors in March when it dubbed 2011 "the year of iPad 2."

i'm so sick of this reasoning... when Apple announced that this was the year of iPad 2 it was not some secret hidden message about not producing an iPad 3 this year.

no, i don't think there will be an iPad 3 at the end of this year but not because of that. first, the iPad 2 is essentially free of any serious competition. second, the iPad 2 is still selling extremely well. and third, apple has never released two versions of a product in 1 year.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    What a stupid article.

Apple has routinely updated the iPhone and iPad after about a year. Why does anyone think it's news that there may be an iPad 3 next year?

And certifying components? With testing and production lead times, starting on the certification process a year before launch seems about right.

These rumors are useless. Maybe I can predict that the sun will rise tomorrow and get an article on AI.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

... and third, apple has never released two versions of a product in 1 year.

True, for iOS devices.

However, there have been "early" and "late" releases of Macs in the same year.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    blowabsblowabs Posts: 70member
    ....thanks goodness we didnt bite on getting an iP2....my iPad (aka Tank) is doin' jus' fine, thank you. I do like the up in rez comin tho!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Rumor or no rumor, Apple has consistently demonstrated good planning and good business decisions.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member
    I'm still waiting for USB before I buy.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

IT HAS 30-PIN USB, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

You won't be getting your vaunted micro/mini/standard USB port on an iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    venerablevenerable Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Note to Apple: make 1 less iPad than your current projections would indicate.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

It should be noted, however, that DigiTimes has an uneven track record with Apple predictions via Asian suppliers.

Wow, that's being overly gracious to a bunch of link baiters
  • Reply 11 of 12
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

Congratulations - it has USB - you can buy!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

....thanks goodness we didnt bite on getting an iP2....my iPad (aka Tank) is doin' jus' fine, thank you. I do like the up in rez comin tho!

>implying you won't be able to sell the iPad2 for close to purchase price even a week before the iPad3 launches

I sold my OG iPad two weeks before the iPad 2 launch, only had to pay about $50 in difference to get the same model in second-gen. Plan to do the same with the iPad 3 unless the wife doesn't want to let go of it