JP Morgan: Apple's iPad rivals reduce build plans after 'early dose of reality'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

There are some utterly horrendous craplets on the market. The ones that fall into the "other" category. For example:

The "eLocity A7 7" Capacitive Touch Screen Android Tablet"

http://www.elocitynow.com/

The "Sylvania SYNET7LP 7-Inch Mini Tablet"

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...-progress.html

Here are 31 (yes, thirty one) "Cheap Tablet PCs"

http://www.china-tablet-pc.com/cheap...t-pc-c-17.html

And finally, if you thought those OLPC laptops were cheap at $100, here's a $35 Indian pad:

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010...itute-computer

They're all knee-jerk reactions to iPad, by manufacturers who fell into the "cheaper means more market share" death-spiral-think. Greenpeace should whack these guys for creating such huge carbon footprints for so little return.

LOL, nice one, thanks for that. I might just order a few of these just to have a laugh, or to give away as a present to someone I really don't like at all
  • Reply 22 of 79
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Strange. I cant speak for the xoom or the playbook, but everywhere ive read has said the asus transformer has been sold out, and that asus is desperately trying to ramp up production to meet demand, not reduce build plans.

I actually dont find this news too surprising tho, as we are probably nearing eol for the tegra2. With Kal-El expected before the end of the year, the reduction in build plans may be indications that next gen, kal-el based tablets could be popping up soon
  • Reply 23 of 79
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Tip to Apple competitors in this area: Make sure the person in charge of developing these products can tell the difference between a large piece of burnt toast and a tablet.

You can't wave around a piece of over-priced useless junk and expect people to buy it.

Now you're just being too cruel. Honeycomb tablets are alright. The problem is at the same price and virtually no apps who are gonna buy it?
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Strange. I cant speak for the xoom or the playbook, but everywhere ive read has said the asus transformer has been sold out, and that asus is desperately trying to ramp up production to meet demand, not reduce build plans.

ASUS just makes Transformer in the range of ten thousands a month compare to millions with iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Part of the problem, obviously, is that there is no compelling need for an iPad alternative. What precisely is an essential clone from a commodity supplier going to do radically differently or radically cheaper? Not much as far as I can see. And despite arguments about openness and ecosystems and all that, the fact is that many users of these products simply want internet access, email access, video capability, books to read and Skype access. None of which are particularly controlled or constrained by Apple.

From a business perspective it really is odd that other manufacturers are already trying to race to the bottom. They might be better off waiting for component prices to drop so they can compete on that front. The direct technological tack cannot be particularly profitable. Nor is it improving their credibility.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Are there any others that have actually sold 1M?

Do you count the NookColor as a tablet? Personally I would, but if not then I don't know of one.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

ASUS just makes Transformer in the range of ten thousands a month compare to millions with iPad.

"Production rates are said to go up from the current 7-8000 per day to the maximum of 10,000 units Asus is capable of. The company aims to produce 300,000 tablets in the April-June quarter alone, and 2 million total for the whole of 2011."

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-...demand_id18942
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Quote:

Last i heard, they were at 100k per month for apr and may, with plans to get up to 300k per month in june. If they can sell that much(and based on the fact that demand seems to be far outpacing supply for it, even with virtually zero advertisement, im inclined to believe that that is very much possible) then i think competition will finally start heating up.

Interesting to see that its the computer manufacturers (i.e. asus and acer) thats having the most success with android tablets, not cellphone manufacturers.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    From Electronista, mention that Apple expects to ship 10M+ iPads this spring.

http://www.electronista.com/articles...lte.ruled.out/
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

"Production rates are said to go up from the current 7-8000 per day to the maximum of 10,000 units Asus is capable of. The company aims to produce 300,000 tablets in the April-June quarter alone, and 2 million total for the whole of 2011."

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Asus-...demand_id18942

That's pretty much it. 300,000 units in 3 months is a hundred thousand a month and that's when production ramps up, not when they initially produced and sold out, in ten thousands range.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    Quote:

Last i heard, they were at 100k per month for apr and may, with plans to get up to 300k per month in june.

Quote:

"Production rates are said to go up from the current 7-8000 per day to the maximum of 10,000 units Asus is capable of. The company aims to produce 300,000 tablets in the April-June quarter alone,

• Reply 32 of 79
    Quote:

That's pretty much it. 300,000 units in 3 months is a hundred thousand a month and that's when production ramps up, not when they initially produced and sold out, in ten thousands range.

Actually it works out to 220K month average to get 2Million units over the 9 months it will be available this year. They're reportedly producing around 100K month average for the current quarter.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:

Actually it works out to 220K month average to get 2Million units over the 9 months it will be available this year. They're reportedly producing around 100K month average for the current quarter.

That's more or less what I said. Ten thousands range (10000-99999) a month. Let put this into perspective, Samsung sold 2 millions of Galaxy Tab (to retailer) in a few months. ASUS *will* produce 2 millions of Transformer in 2011. No wonder it *initially* sold out.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:

My mistake on the 300k, that was actually their sales goal for Q2. Asus spokesperson is saying that they are producing 100k in may, and 200k in june:

http://www.netbooknews.com/24923/asu...blet-shortage/

Eitherway, my whole point is that asus is actually -INCREASING- production, not reducing as the article claims.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:

That's more or less what I said. Ten thousands range (10000-99999) a month. Let put this into perspective, Samsung sold 2 millions of Galaxy Tab (to retailer) in a few months. ASUS *will* produce 2 millions of Transformer in 2011. No wonder it *initially* sold out.

To continue with "perspectives", Apple is estimated to have sold a total of only 420K of their newly designed Airbooks in the entire 4th quarter of 2010 (Oct/Nov/Dec), yet it's being judged a huge success and rightfully so.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/04/macbo...lion-per-year/

Note the analyst is the same one quoted for this AI article.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:

To continue with "perspectives", Apple is estimated to have sold a total of only 420K of their newly designed Airbooks in the entire 4th quarter of 2010 (Oct/Nov/Dec), yet it's being judged a huge success and rightfully so.

We are talking about $500.00 tablet here. Apple and orange.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:

Eitherway, my whole point is that asus is actually -INCREASING- production, not reducing as the article claims.

I think the whole point of the article is someone, like Moto for example, had an inflated projected sale. ASUS seems to me to have a more realistic view of the market.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Huperniketes View Post

A tablet as an adjunct to a pc, and still dependent on one, is useless to anyone who doesn't need the portability. ...The real market for tablets is when they can be a straight out replacement for, or in lieu of, a pc.

LOL. Have you seen any of the latest tablets ? Unlike iPad, they don't need a cable and iTunes running on the PC to sync. They work just fine standalone, syncing OTA to the cloud. Even if you buy app in the web based market somewhere, you don't need PC to download and transfer the app to the tablet. Apple still have a head-start given they were in the market a year earlier, but as apps for tablets are finally showing up, that gap is closing.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

As Steve said, "If all you can talk about is processor speed, you're missing the point."

Stop with the "me too" product line, and show us SOMETHING we haven't seen before...

Have you seen this ? : http://bit.ly/mNsc0E

The speed is not ultimate goal, but it is an enabler, and we still haven't seen many things packaged for tiny, portable device that runs on battery. Guess, at least for portable gaming we will see return to more traditional situation, where thousands of small players give a way to major players.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Have you seen this ? : http://bit.ly/mNsc0E

The speed is not ultimate goal, but it is an enabler, and we still haven't seen many things packaged for tiny, portable device that runs on battery. Guess, at least for portable gaming we will see return to more traditional situation, where thousands of small players give a way to major players.

You're not implying that Android will soon acquire this capability and Apple will not do anything at all to counter, right?

That's the downfall of everyone who's ever proclaimed that the competition will soon overwhelm Apple. They look at what the competition is planning and then assume a world where Apple's products remain static forever. Even so-called 'analysts' make this mistake.