MAC Defender variant quickly thwarts Apple's Mac OS X security update

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 123
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,989member
    The real problem here is Google's search results being poisoned by black hat SEO's (search engine optimisation), which affect Windows, Mac and other users alike.
  • Reply 22 of 123
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Nice poetry. Get bent.



    What's so mind-blowing about malware that you must consciously install and then consciously give your credit card number?



    Once the software was installed, it could have done anything.



    Imagine if it had held the user's photos for ransom, deleting an album per day until they pay, or anything other nasty thing you can imagine.



    In some ways, the scariest thing about this malware is its naivety. It means the really experienced scumbags have not yet tried on Macs.
  • Reply 23 of 123
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 24 of 123
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


    Indeed it will be: within three years it will be somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible to install software on a Mac from any source other than the Apple store.



    I would have guessed OS X 10.8, but with these scammers getting aggressive I'm hoping they'll bring it forward.
  • Reply 25 of 123
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post


    LOL! Do you honestly believe not installing software you know nothing about is anything more than basic common sense?



    Agreed. Honestly sometimes I think there should be a "computer test" similar to drivers test that forces you to learn basic computer knowledge before you go complaining that you're not being protected, when really you just did something stupid. Everyone needs to learn how to avoid scams on the internet, and to be cautious of all downloads. And that software from apple only comes through software update.



    If this software installed automatically, as drive-by downloads do on PCs, THEN I could understand the complaint. But you agreed to infect yourself by installing something you didn't know what it was. End of story.



    The irony of this is that people are so used to viruses on PCs that the trick of telling you your mac is infected worked. If people understood that their mac is protected, then they wouldn't have thought they needed any anti-virus software and would have canceled the install.
  • Reply 26 of 123
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Walled garden is looking better and better. Maybe give consumer a preference on/off switch that allows block of any install unless it comes through App Store.



    completely agree.. Virus/malware checkers on each computer is a waste of CPU and is doomed to failure. Learn from history people.
  • Reply 27 of 123
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adonissmu View Post


    i like the walled garden approach. I think the benefits outweigh the downsides for me.



    godwin invoked.
  • Reply 28 of 123
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post


    LOL! Do you honestly believe not installing software you know nothing about is anything more than basic common sense?



    common to what kind of demographics.. common to your grandma?
  • Reply 29 of 123
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post


    Walled garden is looking better and better. Maybe give consumer a preference on/off switch that allows block of any install unless it comes through App Store.



    Exactly. For normal users, send them to the App Store.



    For downloaded files, the 'This file was downloaded...' message they have may be enough, for apps put up a BIG: 'This application was downloaded from an unknown source. If you install it, it will have full access to your personal files. Malware is spread through downloads like this. Unless you have intentionally decided to install this software, it is suggested you move it to the trash bin now. THIS APPLICATION DID NOT COME FROM APPLE.'



    It isn't going to stop me from updating apps I know about, but it might stop people from being stupid*.



    * When installing unknown software on their computers anyway. Uh, won't stop me from being stupid, either.
  • Reply 30 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post


    LOL! Do you honestly believe not installing software you know nothing about is anything more than basic common sense?



    There are plenty of people with lots of common sense who get all flustered and make the wrong choice when computers are involved. I know many older people who are quite wise, and just want to use their computer for a few basic tasks like reading email, web browsing, and shopping a bit. When they encounter a PayPal phishing scam they sometimes fail to realize what's happening and make a mistake. Most of us geeks can recognize a phishing scam, but that doesn't mean that a less experienced person lacks common sense or is an idiot.



    In any case, even people who are not smart don't deserve to be taken advantage of. I see so many posts that begin with "if you're stupid enough to...then you deserve..." People who can't see a problem with that attitude may lack a moral compass.
  • Reply 31 of 123
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post


    Giving up your right to download does not make you any safer. You're living a dream world.



    I didn't say that. I said there are benefits to apple's walled garden approach. Apple strikes a balance with its approach to tablets and computers. If you want to get around their walled garden there is always the web. So try again. Additionally, the hitler reference is offensive. Maybe you could use a less offensive analogy to make a point or (in this case) not make a point.
  • Reply 32 of 123
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    The real problem here is Google's search results being poisoned by black hat SEO's (search engine optimisation), which affect Windows, Mac and other users alike.



    Once again...



    1. This problem is NOT specific to Google. ANY search engine is equally as susceptible.



    2. http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35291



    http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...site=apple.com

    http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...pleinsider.com

    http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...te=youtube.com

    http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...?site=bing.com

    http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...site=yahoo.com

    http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/d...ite=google.com



    Google is not responsible for user ignorance, carelessness or inexperience
  • Reply 33 of 123
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post


    Giving up your right to download does not make you any safer. You're living a dream world.



    Godwin's law! too funny.
  • Reply 34 of 123
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post


    Giving up your right to download does not make you any safer. You're living a dream world.



    Godwin's Law. You've lost this argument. Your point is invalid.
  • Reply 35 of 123
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post


    I didn't say that. I said there are benefits to apple's walled garden approach. Apple strikes a balance with its approach to tablets and computers. If you want to get around their walled garden there is always the web. So try again. Additionally, the hitler reference is offensive. Maybe you could use a less offensive analogy to make a point or (in this case) not make a point.



    I'm sorry to be offensive, but I have a real problem with people giving up their rights in defense of security. It's happens over and over again in history, and the outcome is always bad.



    All I'm trying to say is, downloading is a basic right in a free and open internet. There are benefits to using the App Store for downloads, but I would rather apple just implement a basic malware scanner that works system-wide (as it looks like they are trying to do), rather then force people to download through only one method.



    Until:



    (1) Every mac app is available in the app store

    (2) Apple drops the whole commission thing, which is squeezing developers out of the store (like Adobe is going to drop 30% of their profits on photoshop?)



    the the app store idea is a poor approach. Maybe at some point it make sense, but we're not there yet.
  • Reply 36 of 123
    enjournienjourni Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Godwin's Law. You've lost this argument. Your point is invalid.



    Ha I just googled it, thank you lol!



    Ok guys, you win

  • Reply 37 of 123
    ivkivk Posts: 46member
    Maybe if Apple took security a little more seriously, the entire internet wouldn't be laughing at Apple right now over this. OS X, is the most insecure OS. Not Windows, sorry folks but these are facts. Only reason OS X isn't a target is because we have such little market share, security by obscurity is not a good model. Apple needs to stop with the smug attitude, so do it's users.



    "You should have to take a computer test"

    "Common sense tells you blah blah blah"

    "Walled gardens are better!"



    First of all if you think walled gardens are better, just leave America and move to China because obviously you need someone to hold your hand and think for you. Look at what happens throughout history when you give up rights for a false sense of security, you get screwed. We Americans are learning this since 9/11. Second is Microsoft, for all it's faults, actually does take security seriously. If you look at the alerts, more attacks are done on Windows through Adobe products, why? Because Microsoft started taking security seriously in their software. Apple on the other hand treats it like it's a joke, taking months to respond to issues, something leaving patches wide open. I really, REALLY hope Apple gets a brutal virus to slap the smug out of Steve Jobs mouth. He, and a lot of other Apple users, really make me see why people don't like the stereotypical Apple user.
  • Reply 38 of 123
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    How does a user know if the "Automatically update safe downloads list" feature is working? Does it show when it was last updated? Is there a way to run a manual check?
  • Reply 39 of 123
    blecchblecch Posts: 34member
    Hmm, I installed the security update, but the 'open "safe" files after downloading' preference is still there in Safari.
  • Reply 40 of 123
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IVK View Post


    Maybe if Apple took security a little more seriously, the entire internet wouldn't be laughing at Apple right now over this. OS X, is the most insecure OS. Not Windows, sorry folks but these are facts. Only reason OS X isn't a target is because we have such little market share, security by obscurity is not a good model. Apple needs to stop with the smug attitude, so do it's users.



    "You should have to take a computer test"

    "Common sense tells you blah blah blah"

    "Walled gardens are better!"



    First of all if you think walled gardens are better, just leave America and move to China because obviously you need someone to hold your hand and think for you. Look at what happens throughout history when you give up rights for a false sense of security, you get screwed. We Americans are learning this since 9/11. Second is Microsoft, for all it's faults, actually does take security seriously. If you look at the alerts, more attacks are done on Windows through Adobe products, why? Because Microsoft started taking security seriously in their software. Apple on the other hand treats it like it's a joke, taking months to respond to issues, something leaving patches wide open. I really, REALLY hope Apple gets a brutal virus to slap the smug out of Steve Jobs mouth. He, and a lot of other Apple users, really make me see why people don't like the stereotypical Apple user.





    it's not a virus, it's not malware and it in no way harms your computer. it's a phishing scam.



    Apple have responded within five days.



    You're talking out of an orifice other than your mouth.
Sign In or Register to comment.