Apple's iCloud free at first, then $25 a year, sources say

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    While most people are focusing on the usefulness of the music streaming aspect of iCloud, I have a different take. If video is included in the service, I imagine iCloud could eventually be aimed at either replacing or complementing Netflix streaming.

I would be much, much more willing to purchase TV shows and movies from iTunes (something I rarely do today) if I was given the capability to stream that content to any of my devices from anyplace that had an internet connection. For that capability, I'd say $25 a year is a steal. Combine it with a Netflix account, and virtually any movie or TV show I want to watch will be available to me at all times.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

Mac mid-tower?

I'd settle for any Mac under $1500 with a 1-2gig dedicated graphics card. It could have a 6 inch screen for all I care. Pigs might fly!
  • Reply 43 of 45
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    The devil will be in the detail. Roll on Monday.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks

I'd settle for any Mac under $1500 with a 1-2gig dedicated graphics card. It could have a 6 inch screen for all I care. Pigs might fly!

I think Apple has a patent for a "mechanical pork elevation device" so fingers crossed.

I still think this is going to be possible regardless of what Apple do though. 3rd party manufacturers can build Thunderbolt boxes like Sonnet's Echo Express, which is a Thunderbolt PCIe 2.0 expansion slot supporting a 75W card:

http://www.sonnettech.com/news/nab2011/

No pricing as yet and no clear info on whether or not it will support graphics cards but I don't see why it wouldn't. Devices plugged into Thunderbolt show up to the OS just like PCI cards so if you bought a Mac Mini with a Thunderbolt port or the entry iMac, I don't see why you couldn't plug in a 1GB or 2GB card.

The problem will be with the power supply in Sonnet's case as a 75W PSU will limit the cards you can use but that's why I think someone should build an MXM box. This way you get cards that have very low power consumption but perform extremely well and you can get up to 2GB VRAM with those too.

Sure they won't operate at full speed but over 80% of it. There may even be an MXM adaptor for PCIe but it's better if someone builds an MXM slot directly or NVidia/AMD can build special cards.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

The devil will be in the detail. Roll on Monday.

I suspect given that they said this would be a preview, they may not roll out the tech immediately but at least we'll see what they're up to.

Final Cut X is due out this month, the Mini is due an update and something needs to be done with the Mac Pro design-wise. I just hope it's not one of those feature demo events and at the end of it, there's nothing you can actually buy or use for months afterwards.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    eswinsoneswinson Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

$0.00 - $25.00/year starting to get closer to the actual value of the service, IMHO, than the $100.00/year of MobileMe. Although even at $0.00 I won't be using it due to it's security issues and lack of utility.

That is like saying you won't upgrade to the next generation iPhone because you think it is ugly. Until you know what it does and how secure it is, I don't think you can base an opinion on anything except the rumored price.