Apple hires iPhone jailbreak notification developer for iOS team at corporate HQ

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    NDA and non-compete are standard fare for the IT Industry. Nothing special.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    When was MobileNotifier removed from Cydia or am I missing it?
  • Reply 43 of 49
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When was MobileNotifier removed from Cydia?

I think you need to add a repository to find it:

http://phajas.xen.prgmr.com/repo
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think you need to add a repository to find it:

http://phajas.xen.prgmr.com/repo

Thanks.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

The code might be open source, but that might be a reason for Apple not to use it, depending on which license it was opened under.

wasn't that the deal with VLC for iOS also. it was created open source but under a license that prohibited it being used in a way that was also in keeping with Apple's rules. So it was pulled.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Quote:

They should also hire the team (person) that made LockInfo. <snip>.

+1

I LOVE Lockinfo, and it's the one Jailbreak app/mod I felt was worth paying for. The frustration of having to enter your pin /etc (when pin protected) just to see new mail notifications/etc.etc.. is really tiresome..

PLEASE Apple, hire David Ashman or buy his code...

I will always Jailbreak to get this kind of useful functionality...

It's good to know that Apple is watching what the Jailbreak devs are doing re. functionality.

I have no affiliation with the guy btw...

Check it out here... http://david.ashman.com/lockinfo/
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

+1

I LOVE Lockinfo, and it's the one Jailbreak app/mod I felt was worth paying for. The frustration of having to enter your pin /etc (when pin protected) just to see new mail notifications/etc.etc.. is really tiresome..

PLEASE Apple, hire David Ashman or buy his code...

I will always Jailbreak to get this kind of useful functionality...

It's good to know that Apple is watching what the Jailbreak devs are doing re. functionality.

I have no affiliation with the guy btw...

Check it out here... http://david.ashman.com/lockinfo/

I am a huge fan of LockInfo (primary reason I've jailbroken my iPhone) but I disagree with your suggestion of hiring Ashman. Unlike the two notification hires with to much show a unique ways of implementing notifications LockInfo is pretty tame. If Apple has created lock screen info I think it's a completely different beast from LockInfo. it might even ties to an SDK for that these "widgets" can be on the lock screen independent of some standalone app icon.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am a huge fan of LockInfo (primary reason I've jailbroken my iPhone) but I disagree with your suggestion of hiring Ashman. Unlike the two notification hires with to much show a unique ways of implementing notifications LockInfo is pretty tame. If Apple has created lock screen info I think it's a completely different beast from LockInfo. it might even ties to an SDK for that these "widgets" can be on the lock screen independent of some standalone app icon.

Fair comment.. I am pretty ignorant of other notification apps/widgets.. I just find the simplicity of Lockinfo great.. I didn't bother looking at anything else when I found out about it.

I agree that Apple (if they did it) would do it differently..

Anything would be better than nothing which is what I get with an unjailbroken iphone..oh yeah I get an SMS message.. which overwrites any recent SMS's...

At least it seems like they are doing something about it.

Will be very interested to see what IOS5 brings (even if all its features don't work on my ancient 3GS )
  • Reply 49 of 49
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

wasn't that the deal with VLC for iOS also. it was created open source but under a license that prohibited it being used in a way that was also in keeping with Apple's rules. So it was pulled.

Yeah. Some conflict between the license VLC is under and the app store ToS, IIRC.