WWDC attendees line up overnight for first glimpse at Apple's iOS 5, Lion, iCloud

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Little is known and anticipation is high before Monday's keynote address at the Worldwide Developers Conference from Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, prompting conference attendees to wait in line overnight for the anticipated event.



The keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage from the event at at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, Calif. Last week, Apple uncharacteristically tipped its hand and revealed the new iCloud service in a press release, though details on the service will be given during today's keynote.



Apple is also set to unveil iOS 5, the new mobile operating system for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The company will also offer a closer look at Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. New hardware -- particularly a new iPhone model, as has been shown in years past -- is not expected to be a part of the software-centric event.



Some conference attendees lined up Sunday night in order to get a good seat at the keynote scheduled for Monday morning. The presentation by Jobs will be followed by the conference, which runs through June 10 with more than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers.



Prior to the event, most rumors have pertained to the new iCloud service, which is expected to have a music streaming component, as well as data syncing services. AppleInsider was told that the new service may be free to users who own a Mac running the new Lion operating system, while one last-minute rumor characterized iCloud as "the new iTunes."



Attendees congregate outside the Moscone Center in San Francisco. Photo by Flickr user Mike3k.



Catch up on the news and rumors ahead of Monday's keynote with AppleInsider's recent extensive coverage of iOS 5, Lion and iCloud:



Apple may offer free iCloud services with aggressively priced Mac OS X Lion



WWDC 2011 banners at Moscone Center show new iCloud icon



Apple to release Mac OS X Lion through Mac App Store - sources



Sources: Apple utilizing 'iCloud' internally, service to be more than music



Steve Jobs to present iCloud, iOS 5, Lion at Apple's June 6 WWDC keynote



A WWDC 2011 attendee badge for Karl Baron of iOS developer tap tap tap.



Apple adds Universal as iCloud licensing partner



iTunes leak suggests Automatic Download option coming to iOS 5



No new iPhone hardware expected at Apple's software-centric WWDC - report



Apple rumored to add widgets, revamped notifications to iOS 5



Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:

    The keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern



    I'm busy during that time.



    Shooting off an e-mail to Jobs to ask him to reschedule. Will let you guys know what he says.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    eyensteinnoeyensteinno Posts: 148member
    I think Steve Balder, Michell Dawl, and Al Tore were first in line Saturday, unless they were there to shoot a new three stooges series.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Wow. Queueing up overnight for an Apple Keynote! WTF



    Anyone have any actual pics of people in line? It's 6AM now in SF.



    Found some footage:

    http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2011/0...-begins-video/



    Clearly some are Apple fans and not necessarily developers?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post


    I'm busy during that time.



    Shooting off an e-mail to Jobs to ask him to reschedule. Will let you guys know what he says.



    I'm surprised that you're busy...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Where is my popcorn?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    This is the first year I haven't gone in like 5 years, and we line up at about 2:00am every year. I don't know why it's suddenly news this year. (Must be because I'm not there!)



    =)
  • Reply 7 of 20
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    surely that's a uniform and they're not delegates, it's not possible for EVERYONE to be wearing jeans/ black top in emulation of His Steveness is it?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 8,987member
    I think the cheaptards are going to be very disappointed with this WWDC. All this speculation about how much iCloud will cost is dead wrong IMHO. Apple produces premium hardware and sells it at premium prices. And they have been incredibly successful doing it. iCloud, no doubt, will be just as magical as the iPad but it will carry a premium price. I am one of those who the cheaptards call stupid for paying $99/yr for MobileMe. I pay it willingly because it just works and I trust Apple.



    So shortly after Steve Jobs rolls out iCloud expect the outraged cheaptards to be smothering the forums with apoplectic, spittle spewing diatribes.



    But hey, I could be wrong.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Whatever iCloud is, and however it integrates with Lion and OSX, one thing is for sure it will be REALLY cool. Bring it on.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    If the sheer number of cars in the Apple campus yesterday is anything to go by, they have a lot to show off!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    Does anyone know if Apple will be providing a live stream for this today?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post


    Does anyone know if Apple will be providing a live stream for this today?



    A long time ago, in an era which is now gone, back when everybody had shitty internet connections and weak computers, people used to be able to watch certain keynotes live.



    Now that everybody has faster cable connections and multicore, powerful machines, the only option is to look at small jpgs and follow the frantically typed messages by some blogger who is banging away on their Macbook.



    I think that I'm going to go to sleep soon. I'll watch the video later on when Apple posts it on their site.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    A long time ago, in an era which is now gone, back when everybody had shitty internet connections and weak computers, people used to be able to watch certain keynotes live.



    Now that everybody has faster cable connections and multicore, powerful machines, the only option is to look at small jpgs and follow the frantically typed messages by some blogger who is banging away on their Macbook.



    I think that I'm going to go to sleep soon. I'll watch the video later on when Apple posts it on their site.







    Maybe there's no live keynote because that Coldplay guy dropped the F-bomb last year towards the end of the live-streamed iPod event.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Why is there a picture of Moscone South? WWDC is at Moscone West.



    The only point in queing earlier than 7am is to get closer to the front. I've always queued from about 7/7:30 and have been fairly happy where I've been sat. It really makes no difference. I've already seen Steve up close in 2001. Once was enough.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    I think the cheaptards are going to be very disappointed with this WWDC. All this speculation about how much iCloud will cost is dead wrong IMHO. Apple produces premium hardware and sells it at premium prices. And they have been incredibly successful doing it. iCloud, no doubt, will be just as magical as the iPad but it will carry a premium price. I am one of those who the cheaptards call stupid for paying $99/yr for MobileMe. I pay it willingly because it just works and I trust Apple.



    So shortly after Steve Jobs rolls out iCloud expect the outraged cheaptards to be smothering the forums with apoplectic, spittle spewing diatribes.



    But hey, I could be wrong.



    Going over to the hardware store now to pick up some plexiglass for a spit shield. Want me to get one for you, too?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ontheinside View Post


    Why is there a picture of Moscone South? WWDC is at Moscone West.



    The only point in queing earlier than 7am is to get closer to the front. I've always queued from about 7/7:30 and have been fairly happy where I've been sat. It really makes no difference. I've already seen Steve up close in 2001. Once was enough.



    IIRC my friends/colleagues and I rocked up at around 8.30am at Macworld SF 2001... So unfortunately we got herded into the overflow room with the video broadcast live on a big projector screen. Even back then you had to have started lining up at around 7am or so to be guaranteed a seat in the main keynote hall. Of course, WWDC is different because you're guaranteed a seat...?



    Anyway I think it was a good thing. The RDF would have killed me if I was in the main room with Steve, given how crazy I got about Apple since 2001.



    10 years later... Wow. What a wild ride with Apple since then.



    The Titanium PowerBook G4 is still one of the most beautiful laptop designs ever created.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,172member
    What's up with the uniforms that people are wearing in the picture?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post






    Maybe there's no live keynote because that Coldplay guy dropped the F-bomb last year towards the end of the live-streamed iPod event.



    Maybe I was wrong!



    Unless this is some sort of prank, I just read that engadget is claiming that they will be live streaming video. And by "they", I mean engadget and not Apple.



    edit - forget it.......I think it was just some lame video from outside the center...........
  • Reply 19 of 20
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post


    surely that's a uniform and they're not delegates, it's not possible for EVERYONE to be wearing jeans/ black top in emulation of His Steveness is it?



    Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if it's a subliminal thing? too funny!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 8,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post


    I think the cheaptards are going to be very disappointed with this WWDC. All this speculation about how much iCloud will cost is dead wrong IMHO. Apple produces premium hardware and sells it at premium prices. And they have been incredibly successful doing it. iCloud, no doubt, will be just as magical as the iPad but it will carry a premium price. I am one of those who the cheaptards call stupid for paying $99/yr for MobileMe. I pay it willingly because it just works and I trust Apple.



    So shortly after Steve Jobs rolls out iCloud expect the outraged cheaptards to be smothering the forums with apoplectic, spittle spewing diatribes.



    But hey, I could be wrong.



    Well spank my ass and call me Sally. I was dead wrong about the price but the cheaptards will probably go after iTunes Match with a vengeance. Or may be not.
Sign In or Register to comment.