• Reply 21 of 29
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Finally 64 bit iTunes. Woo hoo.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Finally 64 bit iTunes. Woo hoo.

I figured this was coming this year but I'm surprised they aren't marketing it iTunes X when they've done so with many other 64-bit rewrites.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    I upgraded my iPad2 (64GB 3G GSM) to the iOS5 beta, but it would not activate, either OTA or through iTunes, as I'm not a registered developer. It wouldn't show up at all in iTunes. It was only then that I found the warnings about being unable to downgrade. I couldn't get iTunes 10.5 beta to recognize it in restore mode either, so I was afraid I had bricked it.

I took it to the Apple store, and they WERE able to downgrade it to 4.3.3. All appears to be functioning normally after a restore from my 4.3.3 backup.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanadianBurger View Post

I upgraded my iPad2 (64GB 3G GSM) to the iOS5 beta, but it would not activate, either OTA or through iTunes, as I'm not a registered developer. It wouldn't show up at all in iTunes. It was only then that I found the warnings about being unable to downgrade. I couldn't get iTunes 10.5 beta to recognize it in restore mode either, so I was afraid I had bricked it.

I took it to the Apple store, and they WERE able to downgrade it to 4.3.3. All appears to be functioning normally after a restore from my 4.3.3 backup.

1) I care not that you circumvented their system to play with iOS 5.0 but I also have no symphony for the resulting issues. (Not that you were looking for sympathy)

2) If you install Xcode you will get more options than in iTunes for dealing with attached iDevices. Namely, you'll be able to see your UDID so you can register that device after you become a proper dev. (this is more for others that may have forgotten to add their device before upgrading)
  • Reply 25 of 29
    My point was that it IS possible go back to 4.3.3 after the 5.0 beta. (although the apple guy wouldn't tell me what he did, other than to warn me not to do it again...)
  • Reply 26 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

If Apple can restore your device there shouldn't be a reason for you not to be able to do that yourself. Which you can; shamelessly copied from edepot:

DFU Mode

You can force your device into a special "DFU" mode (Device Firmware Upgrade). In this mode, the iBoot is not running on your device. You need a USB cable connected to your iPhone for this mode to be activated.

Connect one end of the USB cable to your iPhone. Connect the other USB cable end to a computer. Turn off your iPhone (fully off, not just in sleep mode). Press and hold both Power and Home button for 8 seconds. The LCD screen should turn on with the Apple logo and then go blank again during that 8 seconds. Keep holding both down for 2 more seconds and then release Power button only, but keep holding down Home button for about 10 more seconds. Your iPhone is now in DFU mode with screen still blank. Note that if at any time during this process you see an Apple logo on the screen (besides the initial one in the beginning), then you have done it wrong. You can now use iTunes to flash new firmware without iBoot running. To confirm you are in DFU mode, you can disconnect the cable and try to power on the iPhone normally (it should be unresponsive).

To exit DFU mode without re-flashing, disconnect the cable and hold both Power and Home button for 10 seconds. Turn on your device again, and it should be back to normal.

Cheers,

Phil
  • Reply 27 of 29
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:

Did you register your device in the Developer area?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I figured this was coming this year but I'm surprised they aren't marketing it iTunes X when they've done so with many other 64-bit rewrites.

Likely because iTunes is already on version ten...\

Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

Did you register your device in the Developer area?

And if you'd actually read his post, you'd see he isn't a developer at all.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    mafoomafoo Posts: 7member
    Here is how to downgrade from iOS 5 to whatever the current non beta version is.

The first half of the guide is how to put it in DFU mode, and the second half is dealing with the "This device is not eligible for the requested build" error that some people get.

You should hopefully only need to do the first half of the guide.

http://www.you-foo.com/iphone/unbrick.php

Hope that clears things up