Existing MobileMe subscriptions extended, service ends June 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What happens to iWeb?

Why would anything happen to an application on your computer?
  • Reply 22 of 85
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Excellent, I come up for renewal in September so that's $A129 ($138.50) saved.

I just got auto renewed last week!! I guess my money is blown...\\
  • Reply 23 of 85
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportytoes View Post

No complaints of past service. Not so enthusiastic of letting Apple manage my data. The sync prospect is super for keeping all devices in sync, but I have some skepticism about it becoming more difficult to backup and restore my own data. Apple lost my data accidentally. Sure hope they leave me a way to manage my own copies. IOS without a PC? No thanks. My trust does not run that deep.

Not to mention the process to jailbreak my device. Apple seems to now be taking over managing my files on a device where I have no control over it's file system. How am I supposed to jailbreak using cloud deployed deltas? Effective way for them to win the jailbreak war.

On the other hand, at this point jail breaking offers me little in the way of missing features. Your results may vary. In a real sense though I see little option once a bad iOS update, ala iOS4 on my old 3G, occurs. At least back then I had an old ipsw installer I could fudge to facilitate a downgrade.

I like cloud as a new feature but I hope it does not come with the loss of the tried and true manage it yourself option.

You're not required to use iCloud at all. You must sign up in order to use iCloud. If you don't, you don't get to use it. Even if it's free, you need to accept the Software License Agreement and Terms of Service to use iCloud, iTunes, or pretty much any other online service.

Remember, you're not required use anything. You can turn off Location Services, Push Notifications, don't have to configure e-mail, turn off 3G data, whatever. As a matter of fact, you can turn off your iDevice and use it at a paperweight.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I see now reason why existing @mac.com or @me.com addresses (which are one and the same) will simply redirect to the new @icloud.com service.

Frankly, I'm wondering what was so bad about MobileMe. I really had no issues with it, it worked quite well. Was the launch delayed? It seemed like a natural progression of iTools.

Apple Support Document says you can migrate your @me.com and @mac.com addresses to iCloud and keep them. So, that's cool.

I have two concerns with this:

1) My Apple ID for iTunes is not my MobileMe. Am I going to lose access to my DRM'd iTunes Content after the changeover?

2) My website is hosted on MobileMe so it looks like I have until next July to find a hosting provider who can match the hosting service MobileMe offered at a comparable price (Fat chance of that)
  • Reply 25 of 85
    gordlaceygordlacey Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

I just got auto renewed last week!! I guess my money is blown...\\

If it makes you feel any better, I got auto-renewed the week before you.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    vigginviggin Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

2) My website is hosted on MobileMe so it looks like I have until next July to find a hosting provider who can match the hosting service MobileMe offered at a comparable price (Fat chance of that)

I don't know if I'll get in trouble for mentioning a company -- but NearlyFreeSpeech.net is pretty inexpensive, especially when you combine it with Amazon S3 for any big files on your site.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    gtylergtyler Posts: 10member
    A lot of your questions can be answered by reading this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4597?viewlocale=en_US

It comes up when you click the "learn more" button next to the notice that your account was extended.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    luinilluinil Posts: 59member
    My question would be what happens between June 30 and this fall ? No service ?

edit : Ah; it's until next year, so no gap
  • Reply 29 of 85
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtyler View Post

It comes up when you click the "learn more" button next to the notice that your account was extended.

Thanks for KB link. I just got my notice from MobileMe, and basically they will provide specific instructions on migration from MobileMe after the iCloud service is up and running. I got a free extension until June 30th of 2012.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Total buzz kill... My Apple ID is old school, missing the @provider.com. Being told that's an invalid format for a use as a iCloud ID.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I use iDisk, how will this affect me?
  • Reply 32 of 85
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    What I am really worried about, is will we have to be using Lion to use iCloud? (which I assume we will) Problem is, some of us are going to have to wait to switch on one or more of our computers because of the lack of Rosetta support. I still need to use the traditional mac quicken (2006 or 2007) and plan on keeping my desktop on Snow Leopard, till a solution is offered. My Macbook Air....I can switch to Lion immediately.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    BTW, did anyone else who either followed live blogs, or saw the video, come to the same conclusion that maybe Lion and iCloud (and iOs) is getting TOO feature rich? Hate to use this comparison, but its almost like using the latest MS word to do word processing (if you know what I mean)
  • Reply 34 of 85
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    So how do I go about getting a new @me.com email address today?

If this now requires iOS 5, will getting an iOS developer account get me there before the general release this fall?
  • Reply 35 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

So how do I go about getting a new @me.com email address today?

If this now requires iOS 5, will getting an iOS developer account get me there before the general release this fall?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news — and hope I'm wrong — but from I can tell you can't create any new @me.com accounts unless you are adding them from an empty space in a Family Pack of MobileMe. With 225 million CC on file and iCloud free with an @me.com email domain that will me a lot of people vying for the same addresses.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

BTW, did anyone else who either followed live blogs, or saw the video, come to the same conclusion that maybe Lion and iCloud (and iOs) is getting TOO feature rich? Hate to use this comparison, but its almost like using the latest MS word to do word processing (if you know what I mean)

You're not required to use iCloud.

As a matter of fact, you're not required to even connect your Mac to the Internet.

In fact, you will probably be forced to accept some Terms of Service, maybe a Software License Agreement to install/use Lion and iCloud. If you refuse, Apple will not allow you to use any of these new features.

No one is twisting your arm to use this stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    iDisk? Dead? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! !!!!!

I love idisk and I use iWeb. Now I need new solutions
  • Reply 38 of 85
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRobin View Post

I just got this email from Apple about MobileMe going away by next summer. My big question is what will happen after that with my me.com email address. I will start moving away from it if they are shutting down the email service also.

You keep your .me or .mac email address; it rolls right into iCloud when you sign up for it.

Watch the keynote.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crackedpot View Post

ME TOO!

I have a website with a huge podcast archive and use iWeb to submit to my domain.

You have a year+ to figure out what to do.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtyler View Post

This page (which contains the same information as the e-mail we all received) says nothing at all about what happens to MobileMe customers who do not upgrade to Lion. All we know for certain is that MobileMe is going away in a year, and Apple has made no commitments whatsoever to support iCloud, in whole or in part, in Snow Leopard.

If this turns out to be the case, then it is a blunder of a magnitude that we haven't seen from Apple for a long time, possibly since the mid-90s.