First look: iOS 5 PC Free setup, keyboard shortcuts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them.

Thst was your first mistake. I'm sure App Store must offer (brief) signin change ability.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

new on/off sliders look snappier.

Lolz!

[QUOTE=Ireland;1877205]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post

So how does iCloud work with members who already have MobileMe?

I currently have a MobileMe account, but it is different than my Apple ID, which I've had for much longer than MobileMe. You'll be fine, Apple said they'll help us migrate over to iCloud later in the year. My ID and me differ too. You'll be fine.

Same here, shouldn't be a problem.

Btw, at last on 5 you can delete an individual call from history, you had yo jb for that, imagine...
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigtar View Post

So my wife and I each need to buy our own copies of music or movies? That's ridiculous. Oh, and my two kids each have an iPod touch. I should probably have to buy each of them a copy of whatever digital media we all watch. Four copies of a movie or album. Everyone buys a separate CD or DVD for each member of their household.

As much as the music and movie people would love it, I don't think that's what Apple has in mind. I'd be surprised if their weren't some sort of filters when the whole thing goes live.

You can still sync with a cable. You'll survive.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I was thinking the same thing - the obvious intent of the iTunes accounts is for me and my wife and 18month old to have different accounts (lets ignore the 18 month old and let her use ours?). Then if I buy apps they'll be on my iPhone, my wife's will be on her iPhone, our [email protected] emails will be separate, different calendars and contacts, and our own safari bookmarks.

The first problem of course is that I don't want to buy my daughter 2 sets of the same apps, depending on whether she's on my iPhone or her mum's. The second problem is that we share the iPad and Apple doesn't have a facility to switch user IDs, so it has to be mine or hers.

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac. Then too when we use our iPhone to remote control the AppleTV it'll only recognise the iPhone with the same AppleID. We also want "find my iPhone" to find all 3 devices.

So there's a problem. We really have to merge IDs to some degree. It'll be interesting to work out what that degree is, in terms of what will actually work and in terms of what's legal. It isn't at all clear.

It'll be clearer. But Apple TV absolutely needs multiply ID ability.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post

A family ID grouping several Apple ID would be a solution.

It's not exactly that simple.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    tnttnt Posts: 21member
    At home we have a single account for purchase of content and it is not really a trouble, otoh, it helps a lot that my wife and I are who know the password, so we can approve or deny

I had an dot Mac account and moving to mobile me was not a problem at all, so wait until we get there and we will see how things roll out.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    So I must have missed the explanation, so someone please enlighten me. How does the new iMessages app tell the difference between a SMS/MMS message and just a regular message from the App? It's my understanding that it's just like the iChat App on a Mac, just over 3G/WiFi from iOS to iOS. I currently don't have a Text Messaging plan on my iPhone and (even more-so now) don't plan on getting one now that it seems like Apple is making Texting Free from one iOS to another iOS. Am I assuming incorrectly?
  • Reply 28 of 62
    tumme-tottetumme-totte Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I do understand it's not that simple. And here comes another angle:

I have one account in one country to be able to find music and movies there and a account in my home country for the same reasons. On top of that other accounts in the family.

We can authorize for music and movies, but when updating apps it's a mess. Because we have bought apps on different accounts. Does not really upgrade very easy...

And I would like to have home sharing with multiple accounts in parallel. Maybe my kids should not control our TV for example. Opens up for some nice pranks... ;-)

Why not be able to have multiple accounts and fast-switch in app store / iTunes Store and so on? I don't know but they need to work out something here to make these things easier.

So, the way you answered Ireland, it sounds like you have insights here!!! I'm curious...
  • Reply 29 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Yeah, its pretty much just another internet messaging protocol. Not the same as SMS which will work with phone numbers and on any mobile phone. dOnt really get it.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.

You're not the only one. At the very least Joshua Topolsky and myself agree. And the Weather icon doesn't update. Only the Calendar icon.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    latroyjlatroyj Posts: 1member
    [QUOTE=antkm1;1877233]So I must have missed the explanation, so someone please enlighten me. How does the new iMessages app tell the difference between a SMS/MMS message and just a regular message from the App? It's my understanding that it's just like the iChat App on a Mac, just over 3G/WiFi from iOS to iOS. I currently don't have a Text Messaging plan on my iPhone and (even more-so now) don't plan on getting one now that it seems like Apple is making Texting Free from one iOS to another iOS. Am I assuming incorrectly?[/QUOTE

Correct!
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:

I am in 100% agreement here. I mean, for crying out-loud UI says "Computers"...plural!!! That was the first and most annoying thing about the ATV2 I found. no access for multiple iTunes accounts simultaneously. However, Airplay has almost 90% solved that problem. I had a momentary uncontrollable geek-out yesterday when i was able to stream the WWDC Keynote streaming to my ATV2 from my iPad2. So Airplay has partially solved the multiple users accounts, but now with iCloud, I think ATV will never get this needed update. Apple will continue to ignore the potential of the ATV. However, they have seen the light with the adoption of iPad Mirroring to the ATV. So now I can play Angry birds on my HD plasma to my heart's content!
  • Reply 33 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

I still don't get it. I have 2 little siblings and they use my Apple ID to download the apps I bought for them. What happens then with iCloud? It seems that it makes everything more personal/individual rather than being able to share stuff? All the syncing and stuff too...

Great question. (A similar issue crops up with Ping).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

That would make no sense. It vitiates the very purpose of allowing your downloads to work on multiple home computers.

Apple really needs to allow for better personalization within the family.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Explain?
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:

Perhaps because iTunes accounts were always meant to be individual and not a way for you to get friends and family free stuff?

That's my confusion as well - I have an Apple ID and an ID used for itunes. Way back when they were supposed to be different. I assume we'll be able to merge them????
  • Reply 36 of 62
    homiehomie Posts: 44member
    Quote:

I don't think so. Just set all the iTunes libraries up to share and then you stream from them. They all show up on mine.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    My wife and I are going to have a lot of these same issues. My wife is very non-techie so my plan is to switch all her apps to her iTunes account. She never updates her apps so it's easy enough to set it all up for her. She doesn't know or care. However, I can see a number of privacy issues if Apple does not allow more control over what is sent to the cloud. I'm excited with the changes, but unsure how it will turn out.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateus109 View Post

Slightly off topic but am I the only one who find the clock icon REALLY annoying that it shows a static image. The weather icon updates, so why can't the clock? I was hoping iOS5 would bring this subtle change.

Good topic though..and this is a an iOS5 thread so let's jump in. Speaking up Native App updates...

I was really hoping iOS5 for iPad would include some of the "missing 6 Apps" from the iPhone (i.e. Clock, Calc, Compass, Voice Memos, Stocks and Weather). I use Weather, Clock and Calculator daily...why they left those out of the iPad OS is beyond me. Come on Apple, get with the program. I've had to rely on the App Store for those, but the Apps I have are just not the same. Apple did such a great job designing these apps and nothing in the App Store compares to the simplicity of the UI and the minimalist perfection of these iPhone native apps. At least offer them on the App store as an optional download, like with the Remote App and the iBooks App.

I have contacted Apple about these...but never got a response back. Maybe next time i'll email [email protected] directly. perhaps i'm the only one that misses these apps? I use the clock app for alarms and an egg timer for cooking and laundry all the time. I check the weather app on the go daily. The calculator I use daily for work, but wish it was something i could add to the unlock screen, since it usually sleeps too fast.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

The more important problem is that when watching AppleTV, it can only see the one computer that shares the same AppleID, so we can't stream from either Mac.

AppleTV is getting a software update too. Don't confuse the iOS 4 AppleTV with the iOS 5 AppleTV. Apple isn't dumb. Like Steve said, they build stuff they want to use themselves. I'm sure they've thought of this.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    utsavautsava Posts: 53member
    Quote:

If that's the case, why does iCloud support up to 10 devices? Is that all for ONE person?