Sony's next-gen PlayStation Vita priced to compete with iPod touch

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

That's just a stupid thing to say While I agree that Infinity Blade looks overall almost on par, it uses fewer polygons and a static world compared to Uncharted

And what you got against Dead space? or Epic citadel?. My point was iOS device can out perform current gen of mobile gaming device and can handle without any trouble bigger games.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

do you honestly believe this? i suspect you weren't serious in this remark.

Ok I admit, they got a lot of stuff in their "home screen" but they don't have a lot of API for developer and tool box for making small apps, once the OS boot up a game, everything need to be redefine by the developer, you can't reuse basic UI elements from the home screen.

Beside, look at the ugly Wii IOS slot mess and you will know Nintendo is unable to maintain a full OS.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Ok I admit, they got a lot of stuff in their "home screen" but they don't have a lot of API for developer and tool box for making small apps

game consoles are not typically designed for small apps

Quote:

everything need to be redefine by the developer, you can't reuse basic UI elements from the home screen.

UI elements of the XMB interface is available to game developers. you apparently don't own or have used a PlayStation 3 for any appreciable amount of time so please don't spread misinformation.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Why do you think Sony has been getting hacked so much lately? its because they pissed off the hardcore / geek community.

[ snip ]

which has nothing to do with your assertion that the Sony brand is toxic.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:

game consoles are not typically designed for small apps

UI elements of the XMB interface is available to game developers. you apparently don't own or have used a PlayStation 3 for any appreciable amount of time so please don't spread misinformation.

I admit never used or developed on the PS3, I've base my argue mostly on the Wii where I got a lot more knowledge on how his IOS works. I wanna to point out how the hardware gaming industry is lethargic those days, beside Nintendo no one is really stepping forward to present the next generation of game console, the current generation has been here for almost 6 year now and no one showed plan for the future. So I think single purpose gaming console is on its end and new gen console should be a lot more open to apps and online market place, Sony and Nintendo currently doesn't own such ecosystem for making developer outside gaming realms jump in like mobile platform currently does.

BTW your remark aren't totally right, while you can implement XMB interface within a game for accessing some feature like friend list or music but XMB API it's no UI API for making apps with.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

the boundaries between cheap, moderate and expensive are quite arbitrary. as such, one can easily categorise games available on the PlayStation Network (PSN) into the same levels of cheap, moderate and expensive.

But not free... one of the largest selling points for parents when deciding which device to buy.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:

. I wanna to point out how the hardware gaming industry is lethargic those days, beside Nintendo no one is really stepping forward to present the next generation of game console, the current generation has been here for almost 6 year now and no one showed plan for the future.with.

Every generation of consoles has had on average a 5 year lifespan, some a little more. No one is "lethargic", it's just nintendo took the plunge first. They really haven't had any proper 3rd party support well, since before the N64 era, and they're trying to claw that back.

In fact the last 2 generations have already started with someone getting launch at least a year ahead of competition.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

while you can implement XMB interface within a game for accessing some feature like friend list or music but XMB API it's no UI API for making apps with.

which is an absolute non-issue because the in-game XMB feature (available as of firmware 2.41 released three years ago in mid-2008), gives developers the necessary access to the OS interface.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

But not free...

a demo is a game; they are free on the PlayStation Network (PSN)
  • Reply 70 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jexus View Post

Every generation of consoles has had on average a 5 year lifespan, some a little more. No one is "lethargic", it's just nintendo took the plunge first. They really haven't had any proper 3rd party support well, since before the N64 era, and they're trying to claw that back.

In fact the last 2 generations have already started with someone getting launch at least a year ahead of competition.

Like you said, the average life span for console is 5 year (could be more). Still, at this point we should have a glimpse of new console from Sony and Microsoft. Normally those 2 company made hasty announcement, and have to bring to developer infos about new hardware at least a year before releasing a new console. So the current gen are here to stay a year or two at least.

I still think the gaming console industry has become lethargic, Nintendo got a new console for being on par with the Xbox360 and the PS3 graphics. Sony and Microsoft are still riding on the motion capture hype. No one got a clue for next gen console.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:

which is an absolute non-issue because the in-game XMB feature (available as of firmware 2.41 released three years ago in mid-2008), gives developers the necessary access to the OS interface.

Huh? my point was PS3 and Wii OS are weak and need much better APIs for developer to being able to bring more developer and more interest for a dying model industry. The next console war would not be about which bring the most powerful console but who will got the better ecosystem. Developers and killer apps are the key factor for any success, if third party doesnt support your hardware, you will fail no matter how good your platform is. And multiplying mandatory accessories does not help, right now it start to become a developer nightmare to port PC game and make good use of all different stuff on all consoles (PS3 Move, the WiiMote and Kinect).

Quote:

a demo is a game; they are free on the PlayStation Network (PSN)

I dont think SpamSandwich was referring to demo of game, which they are there to incite you for buying the full game. there is not much freebie games on PSN and Wiiware.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    spishspish Posts: 9member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

I agree on the hardware controls part, but that's just about all this thing has going for it. We're past the point where a spec sheet will sell your console, and that's especially true for mobile consoles since they are limited by their battery life. Also 'quad-core CPU' doesn't say a lot if that means '4 cores running at 500 Mhz', and as far as typical game code goes, "more cores = better" kind of stops being true at 2 or 3 cores, at least without making it really hard for developers to create efficient and portable game engines. The '4 core GPU' is the exact same one as in the A5, except for the fact that it has 4 cores instead of 2, but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes if your outputting to a relatively low-res 5" screen. All in all the 'Playstation Vita' (absolutely horrible name by the way, it sounds like something for old people) is surely going to be a fair bit faster than the next iPod Touch & iPhone, but again, that alone is not going to sway a whole lot of people to carry 2 devices. You'd have to be specifically in the market for a separate gaming device to justify buying this alongside a powerful smartphone.

More cores are better than less, period. You make it seem as if 4 is somehow a large number, yet console developers have been coding on Cell which has 7 SPUs for years now.

Quote:

Now one thing you can be pretty sure of is Sony messing up this fine piece of hardware in all kinds of ways they are famous for, such as a bad SDK that will result in crap games until the 3rd generation, obnoxious DRM and lock-in to other Sony services and formats, expensive games that are too narrowly focussed on hardcore gamers, overpromising and underdelivering on features and capabilities, a confusing and complicated OS and user interface, and so on.

Nope.

Quote:

So while the Sony Vita will likely be the best portable console in terms of hardware, at least for a while after it is released, that doesn't make it an automatic success. I think the market for dedicated portable consoles has already shrunk to levels that don't justify investing millions into specifically developing for it, now that many of the 'occasional handheld gamers' are sufficiently happy with the quality of typical smartphone games.

It hasn't shrunk at all. In North America the DS, a dedicated console, is still the highest in portable revenue. In Japan the DS and PSP do better than home consoles. When people talk about gaming as a billion dollar industry they're not talking about free or $0.99 iOS games. Perhaps the occasional iOS gamer won't feel the need for a portable console, but the gaming market in general will respond to it.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I still think the gaming console industry has become lethargic, Nintendo got a new console for being on par with the Xbox360 and the PS3 graphics. Sony and Microsoft are still riding on the motion capture hype. No one got a clue for next gen console.

I would agree here, I think part of the problem is developers don't really know what consumers want.

You have a game about a doodle jumping on some platforms raking in over $3m and one about birds flying at pigs shipping 300 million units.

You have a hardcore war game making $1b but costs on the order of > $100m to make and ship.

You have obsessive online multi-player games like WoW with ~12 million people paying all the time ($250m/year) but limited to PCs mostly.

You have gimmicky interactive games like Wii Sports and Kinectimals which entice non-gamers but still sell well.

To maximise the profits, it obviously pays to cover as much as you can and the Wii U looks like it's trying to but it ends up looking quite clumsy.

I think in the long term, the mobile devices will win out and I was sort of hoping Sony would just have the PS Vita as their only console with some WiDi-like connection and then have a 3-year upgrade cycle with backwards compatibility but the big consoles still have some advantages.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:

Huh? my point was PS3 and Wii OS are weak ...

subjective; not fact.

Quote:

there is not much freebie games on PSN and Wiiware.

a gaming experience, at no cost to the consumer, is available via PSN.