Rumor: Voice features weren't ready for WWDC, will still be in iOS 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    uplift1uplift1 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theblackswan View Post

I too said the same thing. But I should also add that I am not expecting the speech recognition accuracy of Apple's system to be as good as Google's, even with the best Nuance support. More specifically it may be as good in less noisy environments, but Google does very well in noisy settings. The reason for that is they have a lot of data which they collected from Google voice search; this is around the time of the first iPhone.

Which is why I think the initial focus may be as much on a visual personal assistant as a voice based one. And besides, not all of us would like to bark into our phones all the time.

Google's voice recognition tech is inferior to Nuance's--it was developed by former Nuance guys and had to play patent skirting games. And Google has nothing like Siri, they just feed a transcript of your request into a global google search. My Android evangelist friend thinks the Siri tech would give Apple a significant edge over Android at least given current apis.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    uplift1uplift1 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Well, they copied the Android Notification system, they might as well copy the voice commands and voice input from Android as well... These are two areas where Android was significantly better than iOS....

You mean they copied the WebOS notification system right JUST like Android copied it? Android trolls always out of their depth.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Well, they copied the Android Notification system, they might as well copy the voice commands and voice input from Android as well... These are two areas where Android was significantly better than iOS....

And by "copy" you mean "have voice commands"? So if Google does voice control, anyone else who does voice control, no matter what the underlying tech or how implemented, is a "copy"?

But remember kids, phones that mimic the iPhone in almost every particular are just doing the next and obvious thing.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Did anybody see this?! Holy cow...

LED flash for incoming calls and alerts!!!!

Anyone have any idea how they will do this???
  • Reply 25 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Did anybody see this?! Holy cow...

image: http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/z...2/LEDflash.png

LED flash for incoming calls and alerts!!!!

Anyone have any idea how they will do this???

Great catch!

edit: Being told that's been there since the Flash was added for Accessibility needs. It's not a new HW feature on the front of iPhones showing you new messages.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uplift1 View Post

Google's voice recognition tech is inferior to Nuance's--it was developed by former Nuance guys and had to play patent skirting games. And Google has nothing like Siri, they just feed a transcript of your request into a global google search. My Android evangelist friend thinks the Siri tech would give Apple a significant edge over Android at least given current apis.

Well I was the first to post here about how awesome Siri could be. Android voice really does not do much.

But as for it's recognition in noisy environments I am skeptical about how good it will be initially. And that does not mean that it would not improve, its all a matter of the right set of data. I have friends at both Nuance and Google, and most research people who actually work on the cutting edge of speech recognition are amazed by Google's quality on the street etc. It's not about how good it is as a system, but that they have access to noisy unclean data through their earlier efforts.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Great catch!

edit: Being told that's been there since the Flash was added for Accessibility needs. It's not a new HW feature on the front of iPhones showing you new messages.

Ahhh... that's disappointing.

I would still dearly love a softly glowing led somewhere to indicate a missed call, new message etc without having to turn on the phone screen...
  • Reply 28 of 33
    jlh630jlh630 Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

VoiceOver is their accessibility feature. You're thinking of Voice Control, which is the voice-oriented app launcher. Think of it this way. VoiceOver = text-to-speech (written word spoken out loud by the phone.)

Voice Control = speech-to-text (your spoken word parses into the written word)

Ah, that explains it then. I guess voice control remains a mystery. It still wouldn't make much sense that they wouldn't show it yet because it'll be an exclusive iPhone 4S/5 feature though. Must just not be ready for primetime yet.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Siri isn't really about voice commands and input. The magic (and some would say money) is in how it "connects" input to relevant vendors and services. It's far more than just a seach engine.

Google's making some inroads here as well. They acquired Aardvark which does social searching at a less sophisticated level than Siri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark_(search_engine)
  • Reply 30 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Ahhh... that's disappointing.

I would still dearly love a softly glowing led somewhere to indicate a missed call, new message etc without having to turn on the phone screen...

My idea from 2007-08 was to make the Home Button from translucent plastic or glass with a small LED light underneath in the center.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My idea from 2007-08 was to make the Home Button from translucent plastic or glass with a small LED light underneath in the center.

Yep, that could work well. I was envisaging a small light to the right of the phone earpiece (which would mirror the shape and size of the Facetime camera and lend (restore?) symmetry to the front of the iPhone). Something like what you see on the front of your Macbook Pro when the Facetime camera is activated...

We can only live in hope.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

This was my thought when I was watching the keynote. I'll go a step further. I'm guessing the new nuance/siri/whatever powered voice controls will only be available on the iPhone 5, much like the original Voice Control was available on the 3GS and not the 3G.

Do you think there will be a Sprint iphone announced? Im hoping so, I have an iPhone 4 I bought factory unlocked from Canada to use on a rural carrier in northeastern Colorado called Viaero. Lately we have been having some issues with the carrier and want to switch, We switched away from Verizon because they have awful service where we live and had a bad experience with them. ATT doesn't have coverage where we live and have spotty coverage where I will be going to College next year at the University of Wyoming. My question to anyone, will Sprint get the iphone? There have been rumors in May that suggested the it is quite possible? I know its a little off topic.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

It's posts like these that irritate me. I'm all fine with you disagreeing with iOS and whatnot, but you say it in such a condescending way that it's just BAITING an ugly flame war. Why do people do this?