Inside Apple's iOS 5: Reminders app offers location-aware to-do lists

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    slevit1slevit1 Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Anyone who has iOS5 up and running.

Does Reminder have the ability to sync multiple apple ID's together, like for my wife and my seperate apple IDs?

Doesn't seem so. It's linked to iCloud, which only syncs one user per device.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Pocket Informant on the App Store - has had location aware task contexts for awhile now. You set a context to a location, and PI will alert you when you are near there if that context has any tasks in it.

Its a little different than Reminders in that each task doesn't have a location - its a group of tasks. And you can get alerted when you get around that area, not when you leave. But those things are coming later anyway.

Just saying - this isn't all new. Apple's implementation is nice though, and far more simplistic which frankly makes it more accessible to a lot of people for simple stuff.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Is this is a separate home-screen icon in addition to Calendar? That seems needlessly cluttered/redundant if so; the two related functions would make a nice single app. I can see that having an icon called ?Reminders? is useful for getting people to actually use this, though.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slevit1 View Post

Doesn't seem so. It's linked to iCloud, which only syncs one user per device.

Well thats stupid...
  • Reply 25 of 35
    thilothilo Posts: 2member
    What about OmniFocus? Does all this -- if you like GTD.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Well thats stupid...

It's possible you can send reminders to a different user, but future updates may bring group features.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    If you add a phone number to call someone not necessarily in your phone book, on a given date, will it dial it automatically when you select it? Or will you have to copy and paste it into the iphone keypad to dial it?
  • Reply 28 of 35
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Maps+ has location-driven reminders. You have to do an in-app purchase to upgrade to a usable version of the app. I haven't played with it much...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps/id416753449?mt=8
  • Reply 29 of 35
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

It's possible you can send reminders to a different user, but future updates may bring group features.

I am just hunting down ways of rationalising my current setup.

my families phones, ipads nad ipod touches run throug googles exchange for calendars contacts and emails. The ability to each have our own email account, and a joint one, that allows us to sync wirelessly our own contacts and keep them seperate from family contacts is fantastic. Now the ability to perform the same across the reminders would be an absolute godsend.

Wife wants ot make sure I grab something on the way home from work, she enters the command into her iphone, it syncs across to mine, I walk outta the office nad the phone tells me to call into the shop.

Clean, neat, fantastic.

The calendar/contacts/mail works great with google, I would change that if it was useful. However, being tied to a single Apple ID is death.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    rpsxrpsx Posts: 46member
    i also make a to-do app, and at first i was quite disturbed by this. no one wants to compete with apple! i feel really bad for instapaper and read it later. however, after this detailed breakdown, i can't help but think that this reminders app is more of an out of the box capabilities demo, than it is a full fledged change your life to-do app. i mean, who uses compass?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

ok developer's of Things, 2Do, ToDo and Firetask, take your new API's and create a really good UI around Reminders and iCloud....best one by "fall" gets my $$$$.

exactly. reminders adds extra cost/pressure on us to-do app makers... but, maybe that was apple's plan. perhaps, apple really wants location to be an essential iPhone experience. now, we are forced to make it so, as users will likely expect it as standard functionality. i know i am planning it (well, already was, but now it's been bumped up on the roadmap).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by A_K View Post

Check this one called [...] So even if I think Reminders app is good, there are still others out there... like [...] app.

funny - someone named "A_K" is pimpin an app made by "Armand Konan" - hmm... coincidence? as a struggling app maker myself, i know how desperate the need is to get noticed. i even made a lite version of my app, and it's still not getting any traction. but, i think posting comments in a forum could be construed as advertising. so, be careful! most don't allow it.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    nyctreenyctree Posts: 9member
    [QUOTE=rpsx;1878975]i also make a to-do app, and at first i was quite disturbed by this. no one wants to compete with apple! i feel really bad for instapaper and read it later. however, after this detailed breakdown, i can't help but think that this reminders app is more of an out of the box capabilities demo, than it is a full fledged change your life to-do app. i mean, who uses compass?

exactly. reminders adds extra cost/pressure on us to-do app makers... but, maybe that was apple's plan. perhaps, apple really wants location to be an essential iPhone experience. now, we are forced to make it so, as users will likely expect it as standard functionality. i know i am planning it (well, already was, but now it's been bumped up on the roadmap).

THINGS--you need lists, start times, alerts and icloud integration

2DO-- you need icloud integration

FIRETASK--you need times, alerts, icloud integration
  • Reply 32 of 35
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

It's a full-featured reminder function, but no "Category" field (or did I miss it?) to be able to group your reminders? Without that I don't think many of the specialized to-do list managers will have much to worry about. Reminders will be mostly useful for one-off miscellaneous tasks. But that may be sufficient for many people.

And it's also used for supporting Exchange server tasks which iOS didn't do before.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    I just started using this app but it doesn't look like there is a snooze feature when the initial reminder shows up? Does anyone any if it exists and I'm just not finding it?

Thanks
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Anyone seen any documentation on what happens when a reminder has both a location-based alert and a time-based alert set for the same reminder? Do they both work or does one override the other?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    I am wanting to jailbreak my iPhone 4 which is on iOS 5. I am sick of waiting for the untethered jailbreak so i am willing to do a tethered jailbreak. I was wondering if i do a tethered jailbreak, when the untethered comes out can i just jailbreak again without having to restore and back up. Im hoping i can just jailbreak tethered, and then when the untethered comes out just jailbreak it again.