Inside Apple's iOS 5: Calendar improvements help make iPhone, iPad PC-free

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    surefiresurefire Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Anyone with iOS 5 that can address these concerns? Wondering if they've fixed this.

Sadly NO!

If the first beta is a sign of things to come.

I just wanna be able to set an event to occur several times a week.

My study sessions, classes...
  • Reply 22 of 37
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    ... the ability to schedule a meeting where the action is call

Meeting: Call Contact

(set date time)

Select Contact

Select Contact phone number (or facetime)

(set other meeting details

when the meeting time occurs, the reminder/notification states "Meeting: Time to call 'contact'... press 'call' to start meeting"

I had that on my sanyo dumb phone... Given that about 80% of my meetings/tasks are 'dial-in' this would be so simple (especially if I don't need to unlock my phone or cut/paste numbers or whatever.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

... the ability to schedule a meeting where the action is call

Meeting: Call Contact

(set date time)

Select Contact

Select Contact phone number (or facetime)

(set other meeting details

when the meeting time occurs, the reminder/notification states "Meeting: Time to call 'contact'... press 'call' to start meeting"

I had that on my sanyo dumb phone... Given that about 80% of my meetings/tasks are 'dial-in' this would be so simple (especially if I don't need to unlock my phone or cut/paste numbers or whatever.

Just open up the contact, and press "Schedule Meeting", or just drag the contact to the calendar app. It should fill in the phone number automagically, so when the buzzer goes off, you can just tap the number and make the call.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    cycomikocycomiko Posts: 716member
    Much like I aksed with the reminders app, does this have hte ability to share calendars across multiple Apple ID's or are we stuck with a single user?
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Anyone know if they have finally made it so you can switch the start week on day? I have wanted this easy switch for as long as I have had an iOS device. Soo simple, just please give me the option to change it!
  • Reply 26 of 37
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Apart from "Ping", I reckon iCal has to be one of Apple's lamest apps. So many basic things it still cannot do, even in iOS 5!!
  • Reply 27 of 37
    cosmic68cosmic68 Posts: 13member
    Can you accept/decline meetings sent from outlook yet (if you're on MM). How have they not sorted that out yet? Need to sync my iPhone to Mac before that option comes up-a bit lame, really.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Can iPhone iCal send calendar/event invites to others from a non-.me.com iCloud acct?

Example: 2 people with calendars syncing to iCloud on non-.me.com (say iTunes accts with gmail addresses) accounts. Is there an option to send event invites to one another?

Alternatively, how does calendar sharing work?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

Apart from "Ping", I reckon iCal has to be one of Apple's lamest apps. So many basic things it still cannot do, even in iOS 5!!

Indeed, iCal is very basic. Also, still no week numbers it seems. Quite a few folks on this side of the pond would like to have that.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bweston View Post

I'm sorry to see they haven't yet improved the Alerts options to allow ME to specify how many minutes/hours before the event.

Also, I get very tired of my phone going off at 11:15pm at night alerting me to the "All Day" event the next day.

Since the last iCal update, I get message alerts with beeps even when the alert was specified as an email only !!! I had about a hundred of these per month timed for various things I do frequently, all sending emails in the night - now they are all waking me up and I have to find all the darn things and switch them off.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporras View Post

One thing that drives me nuts about the Calendar app is the Location field: can you finally click it to see a map or do something (anything!) with it?

Also, it was quite annoying that you couldn't add invitees to a Gmail calendar although that could be an API issue.

Apple should at least let us select a location from Address Book.

Locations are important data and should be used meaningfully.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Indeed, iCal is very basic. Also, still no week numbers it seems. Quite a few folks on this side of the pond would like to have that.

Plus you are trapped looking at the current week/month.

If the event you are looking at overlaps 2 weeks / months, then you have to click back and forth to see the two halves.

It should be on a slider, where if you slide your finger then it moves seamlessly across the timeline, but if you flick, then it goes to the next week/month.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

If the event you are looking at overlaps 2 weeks / months, then you have to click back and forth to see the two halves.

Apple should either get things right or not release them until they have figured it all out right. What a POS. Too much of what is on my iPhone is just plain useless, and much more is just plain substandard.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    aep528aep528 Posts: 12member
    You mean it's now PC free if you are only using Apples calendar. I've been PC free for my work calendars for years, first with Exchange Web Access and now Google Apps. Google's calendar sucks compared to Outlook/Exchange, but it still works far better than anything Apple itself has done to this point. I have to wonder though - how many iOS users are really going to give up their existing GMail addresses and Google Calendars or other web accounts to switch to Apple's service?
  • Reply 35 of 37
    hauperhauper Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Ay, leaving out week numbers is daft and arrogant, and it is about time now to change attitude. Shame on you, Apple!
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Apple should at least let us select a location from Address Book.

Locations are important data and should be used meaningfully.

Please tell me that the location field has been made usable? All of my conference call meetings have the dial-in # there. Being able to dial from this field is imperative.

If the location happens to be an actual address, it should take you to the map for directions.

How difficult can these improvements be?

Can anyone who has played with beta tell us if they are there?
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Buehler?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damdegraff View Post

Please tell me that the location field has been made usable? All of my conference call meetings have the dial-in # there. Being able to dial from this field is imperative.

If the location happens to be an actual address, it should take you to the map for directions.

How difficult can these improvements be?

Can anyone who has played with beta tell us if they are there?