Apple backs down on in-app purchasing rules, allows lower prices for out-of-app purchases

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 142
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    You can look at Apple's public financial records. None of its software services are cash cows at all. That is the reason why they are selling Lion for $29.

They make the far majority of their money from hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

Sorry, but Apple don't do nothing that merely breaks even. Where do you get the "if"? The App Store was at breakeven shortly after it started, and by now, it is likely a huge cash cow.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Apple has utterly failed with the App Store? It looks quite successful to me.

• Reply 142 of 142
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You can look at Apple's public financial records. None of its software services are cash cows at all. That is the reason why they are selling Lion for $29.

They make the far majority of their money from hardware.

I don't know how to read those statements, but gross profit didn't look like it was broken down by product line as the net sales was.

Their revenue from app store and iTunes was about the same as their Mac line, not insignificant. But there's nothing as best I can tell about net contribution to the bottom line for any part of apples product line.

Basically, I'm trying to say is that you can draw very little about product line profitability from the financial statements.