AT&T defends T-Mobile acquisition, says no effect on competition

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    So AT&T is implying that there is no competition already and getting rid of tmobile will not reduce competition because it can't get any less competitive. Look tmobile was the only carrier with good pricing and good prepaid plans, with it gone the prepaid guys are fucked and post paid guys are gonna get milked just like they were milked before - ok service and shitty customer support.

I dunno this is starting to look like comcast and AT&T in the cable business, and we all know how that turned out. Sure we have rcn, but it only works in one neighborhood in Chicago, so I guess we technically have a choice...
  • Reply 22 of 38
    It should read

Quote:

AT&T defends T-Mobile acquisition, says effectively no competition

• Reply 23 of 38
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

T-Mobile is not tossing in the towel in the U.S. What a ridiculous statement.

Yah, actually they are. They have no provisions for LTE, HSPA+ is the end of the line for them. They are indeed throwing in the towel whether ATT buys them or not.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    titantigertitantiger Posts: 300member
    AT&T is Baghdad Bob.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Yah, actually they are. They have no provisions for LTE, HSPA+ is the end of the line for them. They are indeed throwing in the towel whether ATT buys them or not.

No they aren't..Deutsche Telekom is. T-Mobile's new CEO was put in on behalf of DT, HENCE his optimism on the merger and defeat.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Is it me or did SBC pull all the pieces of Ma Bell back together again?

Close...the only original baby bell afaik that isn't part of the new att is Bell Atlantic, which bought GTE (General Telephone and electronics Co - big here in the mid west in the day) and changed the combined name to, wait for it...Verizon!

Oddly enough the Atlantic/gte deal is also responsible for the existence of Telus in Canada...sorry about that my friends to the north!
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

T-Mobile is not tossing in the towel in the U.S. What a ridiculous statement.

AT&T has no problem with the merger.

IN the USA today, this sort of obvious corporate PR is considered "news" and a rebuttal.

Of course, if this government were still in charge of corporate activity, the merger would not be allowed. And the fact that the media pretends that this is anything BUT monopolistic activity, should come as no surprise.

>>> The Merger, It's approval by the Corp-Gov which AT&T spied for, and the subsequent "no problems here" reaction of the media -- no surprise whatsoever.

This just means prices will remain higher and we are more likely to have caps on data plans. Anyone surprised? No?

No surprise either, that there will be armies of either "paid bloggers" or people so far trained in Corp-Gov-Think that they think there is nothing wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

AT&T is Baghdad Bob.

No, it's more like Saddam was put on the TV as a spokesman for Saddam, who would say things like; "Saddam does not have a problem with this, and our troops are gloriously winning."
  • Reply 29 of 38
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I agree, the deal will likely go through with some bogus conditions. You are right as to the reasons as well. AT&T lets the federal government have full unfettered access to its network and customers' communications. Moreover, some government employees will get huge paydays for making it happen.

In France they'd be marching in the streets and lightening cars on fire. The government there is a afraid of its citizens, as it should be in a free country. We've lost the patriotic spirit here in the US. We take the scraps they give us.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

AT&T has no problem with the merger.

IN the USA today, this sort of obvious corporate PR is considered "news" and a rebuttal.

Of course, if this government were still in charge of corporate activity, the merger would not be allowed. And the fact that the media pretends that this is anything BUT monopolistic activity, should come as no surprise.

>>> The Merger, It's approval by the Corp-Gov which AT&T spied for, and the subsequent "no problems here" reaction of the media -- no surprise whatsoever.

This just means prices will remain higher and we are more likely to have caps on data plans. Anyone surprised? No?

No surprise either, that there will be armies of either "paid bloggers" or people so far trained in Corp-Gov-Think that they think there is nothing wrong.

• Reply 30 of 38
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I think Apple releasing the iPhone for Sprint (rumored) will have a bigger effect then AT&T buying TMobile.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I think Apple releasing the iPhone for Sprint (rumored) will have a bigger effect then AT&T buying TMobile.

iPhone on Sprint would probably be too little too late. Plus Sprint is betting more on WiMax* for 4G right? The iPhone is almost certain to go LTE eventually.

*Can someone clarify this point? Because it looks even tougher for Sprint because WiMax phones and tablets will be the minority in the future, even if some models come out. Sprint looks to have painted itself into a corner.

*Also, AT&T refers to Sprint as having "more spectrum". But that's because of ClearWire, right? And this spectrum is mostly for planned 4G WiMax, not LTE?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    when the companies merge, there will no longer be need for lots of duplication; accounting, management, HR, and probably a lot of others.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

when the companies merge, there will no longer be need for lots of duplication; accounting, management, HR, and probably a lot of others.

The important question is, is AT&T still going to employ the charming model with the pink dress for their commercials
  • Reply 34 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

iPhone on Sprint would probably be too little too late. Plus Sprint is betting more on WiMax* for 4G right? The iPhone is almost certain to go LTE eventually.

*Can someone clarify this point? Because it looks even tougher for Sprint because WiMax phones and tablets will be the minority in the future, even if some models come out. Sprint looks to have painted itself into a corner.

*Also, AT&T refers to Sprint as having "more spectrum". But that's because of ClearWire, right? And this spectrum is mostly for planned 4G WiMax, not LTE?

Sprint has said (the closest thing a company can say to actually saying) that they're wrong about WiMAX and that they'd switch to LTE if it proved a better solution (read: they're going to switch).
  • Reply 35 of 38
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Given how supportive T-Mobile has been of Android (and that too stock Android), I'm really surprised that Google hasn't come out swinging against this deal.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Given how supportive T-Mobile has been of Android (and that too stock Android), I'm really surprised that Google hasn't come out swinging against this deal.

Does... Google expect to sell fewer phones? What's that? More? Then what the heck would they find wrong with it?
  • Reply 37 of 38
    jexusjexus Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does... Google expect to sell fewer phones? What's that? More? Then what the heck would they find wrong with it?

The reason Google has said nothing is that it is afraid with all the antri tust against it right now in the US and abroad that the government would exert even more force than it already has, which will probably actually help PUSH the deal through because the government will see it as an attempt for some sort of google monopoly on mobile software. So naturally they'd swing for whatever google would NOT want to happen.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    RE: Originally Posted by macologist

One Phone for The World - 100% Compatibility

No Contracts

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Why did you have to go this far? Now I have to disagree with the whole thing.

I meant to say:

iPhone with 100% Compatibility around the world (LTE, GSM, CDMA or ANYTHING!!!)

No Contracts in USA

The only difference would be Color and Storage Capacity!

Also, maybe Apple can get into Subsidies? Here is what I mean:

Instead of Carriers offering Subsidies, why doesn't Apple sell iPhone for the Full Price, and do Trade In with each New Model, where the customer brings back their own, not anyone else' iPhone, for Trade In. They receive the Newest Model at a Discount! That way Apple has a greater reassurance that they don't lose that customer, and that customer doesn't have to wait 2 years for Carrier Contract/Subsidy!

I guess other vendors could offer their anti iPhone Subsidies:

bring your Old iPhone, and we'll give you the same or better discount for the latest Android or Windows smartphone! But then, if customer does that, and regrets it later, they'll have to start with iPhone again at Full Price... Unless Apple wants to get into Price Wars with such Subsidies? Apple could keep track of their former customers, so to minimize the "games" some people might play with Serial Numbers of their devices, or the frequency of switching etc..

What do you guys think?