Apple exploring 'proactive' iPhone security methods for stolen hardware

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Classified emails on an iPhone??

Extremely doubtful.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    "St John Smythe" was an alias of James Bond (Roger Moore) when he saved Silicon Valley in A View to a Kill.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's your fault.

interesting so u leave your wifi on all the time? what if it is not around a wifi network or a network that needs autentication is that still my fault?
  • Reply 24 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadyside4fyr View Post

interesting so u leave your wifi on all the time?

Of course.

Quote:

what if it is not around a wifi network

Then it obviously won't find it. Logic, however, states that the thief will seek out a Wi-Fi hotspot to try out his new toy.

Quote:

or a network that needs autentication

The thief wouldn't be able to access it even if the thing didn't have a passcode, then, so that's moot.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    ljocampoljocampo Posts: 657member
    This may be slightly OT...

Doesn't this patent/features give more support that a web interface, such as MobileMe has that can be accessed from any other computer or device, WILL be part of the iCloud infrastructure?
  • Reply 26 of 49
    cambocambo Posts: 38member
    They should have this on ALL of their products immediately.

And a nuclear death ray that emanates from the webcam when necessary.

And the ability to send a 30 amp surge to the keyboard. And....

Cheers,

Cameron
  • Reply 27 of 49
    mj2011mj2011 Posts: 1member
    There is a fundamental step needed before these things will work, and that should be done on today's iPhone. That is, it should require the PIN to allow it to be turned off. Right now, you can steal an iPhone, hold the power button and slide to power down. Ten seconds of effort, and no protection like Find My iPhone will help. The thief can now take it somewhere radio-secure and wipe it. Job done.

Entering the PIN before it will power down would give you more time to track it.

On TWiT they say that thieves will steal a phone and quickly remove the battery to prevent wiping (they want your contacts). The iPhone has no battery to easily remove, but makes it just as simple.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mj2011 View Post

There is a fundamental step needed before these things will work, and that should be done on today's iPhone. That is, it should require the PIN to allow it to be turned off.

This! Really Find My iPhone is useless against any thief who knows about it. This is also totally unobtrusive, especially since we rarely turn off our iPhone (few do it on airplanes even though it's an FAA and FCC regulation).

Another thing that is needed is if you could prevent it from being restored in iTunes unless iTunes was logged into the account where the iPhone is registered.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by serkol View Post

No, they haven't.

- Their jailbreak protection is inefficient. iOS 5 was jailbroken within minutes after release. Since they make their own hardware, they could make iPhone un-jailbreakable on hardware level.

Hey now... Jailbreaking != piracy. It's not even necessary to jailbreak in order to pirate apps. I've been jailbreaking since day one. Of my current iTunes apps, 0 out of 425 are pirated. Of my Cydia (jailbroken Apps) 0 out of 121 are pirated.

Have I pirated? Yes, but only because free trial versions weren't available and I wanted to try before I bought an expensive app. Of those, about 75% were then purchased and the remainder were deleted.

I know this is anecdotal, but I know, and have met many jailbreakers. Only a few pirate at all, and not one person I know pirates to keep.

Regardless, you can just as easily pirate without jailbreaking, so please don't confuse the two, as the jailbreaking community offers many things not only to consumers but also to developers (some of which are making good money).
  • Reply 30 of 49
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    This is all good, but to make it really consumer friendly they need to reduce it to simple user-oriented scenarios, rather than config screens.

Perhaps: Button 1 = I *think* my phone has been lost or stolen but I'm still checking.

Button 2 = Yes, it's definitely gone.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Let's have more reasons to include the words 'proactive' and 'security' in one sentence.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'm sorry, but this just sounds way too Big Brother-ish. It would intimate that Apple logs, records and saves each and every communication, whether by text, call or email, so that they could recognize if a thief (or you!) has made a new contact, not already on your list.

And being able to record audio and video by a remote command opens so many privacy holes that I can't imagine it would ever be approved. There's no such thing as unhackable software. How long before someone's legitimate and/or private activities get recorded and transmitted, unbeknownst to them, by their own phone? Apple would be crossing into extremely dangerous territory if they decide to go there. There's so much potential for evil, it should not even be a consideration. This is taking Facebook's very questionable (hopefully deemed illegal at some point) facial recognition efforts to privacy-shattering levels.

The biggest potential for evil comes from a source that can act right now. That's the government. After all, it's not Google that has a history of international abduction for torture. That's not going to get better until we stop kidding ourselves that we are leaders of the free world and our free press is doing its job.

But, looking on the bright side, the good news is that OSX Lion windows can be resized from *any* corner.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

The only people who can pirate your apps have jailbroken their OS. Anybody who wants to pirate apps and is jailbreaking their OS can conceivably use a jailbreak that removes any anti-piracy solution apple might attempt to place into iOS.

Sorry but they've already done as much as they can.

I have always assumed that Apple deliberately leave jailbreaking open so as to provide a way for people to experiment but without Apple having to support them when it goes wrong.

I assume there is a step somewhere in the jailbreaking process where iOS grants the user/app permission to open a dialogue where the jailbreaking process can start.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    How cool would it be if Apple built in a self-destruct mode into iPhones, iPads and iPod touches? If your device gets stolen and you manage to track down the location of it and you get visual video confirmation that some loser thief is using your device, you could order the device to remotely self destruct while your device video records the destruction and transmits it to you.

This would be useful for situations where you know that you wouldn't be able to retrieve your device. Sometimes the police don't really care and sometimes you might get your device stolen in a foreign country or in a location that is far away from you. A person should have the right to destroy their own property.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

If you had paid 30% of your income to the company that built your garage, you would expect them to make your garage unbreakable, would you? Well, that probably depends on your income... Last year I paid Apple enough for a garage :-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Wait! You didn't pay 30% of your income to Apple. You sell products through a distributor. Every penny you received from your distributor, you kept.

Spot on.

serkol's income from Apple would have been 100% of zero if Apple did not distribute his app.

No point in having a further conversation with this guy.... I am sure he doesn't get it.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Now that every Apple device (iOS/Mac OS X) has a built-in camera, it seems like Apple could incorporate biometric data (facial recognition, iris scan?) in its security strategy. One caveat?I would want this data to only be stored locally, and not sent up to the cloud. Basically, as part of the setup procedure, or to set up user accounts, the camera could snap a photo of you (or if you feel like getting more personal, move in closer to the camera so it can get a capture of your iris) and use that as part of your ID. Then, if you lose your iOS device, or if it's stolen, you go home, command it to go into a "safe mode", where it will only operate if it "recognizes" the person using it. Even if it's not commanded to go into "safe mode" (i.e., before you're aware that it's been stolen, or before you've had a chance to activate security procedures) it could "know" who's using it, and if it doesn't recognize the person as an authorized user, it could put itself into "safe mode", and put out a "distress signal" to the other devices?eventually alerting you, the owner, that it's being used by an unauthorized person. All this could be done without saving any personal biometric information to the cloud (which I do not want). It would only use the cloud as a message delivery platform during this "emergency" situation?I think we can all agree that losing your iOS device or MacBook would constitute an emergency.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Absolutely necessary when going drinking at bars in Redwood, CA.

On a serious note, I've never understood why some companies leave device security up to 3rd party apps. Apple certainly ahead of Google here. Android leaves device security up to OEMs. HTC Sense has Find my iPhone like features. But it's not baked into Android. Remote backup and device security should be baked into the OS. And the more options (like ones presented here) the better. This will all help reduce the theft of mobiles.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

I make an iPhone app. It's pirated, like all other iOS apps, but Apple does not care about this. Why would they? Pirated apps or not, Apple gets money from hardware sales. They definitely care about protecting their hardware, but they don't give a sh...t about protecting our apps.

Complain to the jailbreakers who make this possible.

Jailbreaking opens a device to use pirated Apps in spite of the protests of do-gooders who proclaim they jailbreak for innocent reasons.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Hey now... Jailbreaking != piracy. It's not even necessary to jailbreak in order to pirate apps. I've been jailbreaking since day one. Of my current iTunes apps, 0 out of 425 are pirated. Of my Cydia (jailbroken Apps) 0 out of 121 are pirated.

Have I pirated? Yes, but only because free trial versions weren't available and I wanted to try before I bought an expensive app. Of those, about 75% were then purchased and the remainder were deleted.

I know this is anecdotal, but I know, and have met many jailbreakers. Only a few pirate at all, and not one person I know pirates to keep.

Regardless, you can just as easily pirate without jailbreaking, so please don't confuse the two, as the jailbreaking community offers many things not only to consumers but also to developers (some of which are making good money).

You can't side load apps in stock iOS. You can only go to the App Store. The only way to "pirate" then is to login to a friend or family member's account and re-download the app. Which is a pretty benign way of "pirating" and is limited in scale.

Jailbroken iOS devices can load any app, including pirated ones available on the internet. It is impossible to make a computer-device impermeable to hacking.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This data could be provided to investigative authorities to help track down the hardware.

Ha! I had to chuckle at this sentence. I'm sorry, but the "authorities" have much better things to do than track down your phone. They wouldn't even help that guy find his MacBook Pro until he started his own blog and posted pictures of the non-owner online, causing a sensation.

We need plenty of options like this article outlines, to take security into our own hands. Bring 'em on. I'll be happy to have location information and photos of the guilty parties, and I'll be happy to track them down myself.

Also, THANKS to the poster who gave the tip about activating restrictions in such a way that Find My iPhone can't be easily deactivated! Made my day!