Apple reveals Mac OS X Lion, Server prices for business and education

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Is there some mechanism to prevent a user with an Apple ID who has purchased Lion from wandering to all of his friends, logging in with his Apple ID, downloading and installing Lion, which is already paid for, and then logging out?

Except for you conscience, not really.

Just remember, unless you are willing to give out your Apple and your Credit Card ID'S/passwords, etc., be prepared to service and support your OS on your friend machines every time there is an update or delta fix, reinstall, etc. Or lose you friends.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Apple's site has said this for a good while.

Hey, that's completely news to me. These kinds of details are always hidden in the fineprint. I don't see why there isn't a direct migration path. I've got the hardware, if I did have Lion on it, and my HD was wiped out, does that mean I have to do a SL, then Lion installation? That doesn't make sense, there must be direct installation disks directly. Otherwise Lion should really be considered a SL fixpack.

On my previous powerpc imac. I could only move up one OS before it became a dinosaur. I wish that Apple would really think about how it supports its legacy users. They control both the hardware and software, but I suppose this is the tradeoff for being bleeding edge. Apple will screw its own followers if they don't keep providing them with the cashflow. Not that MS doesn't, but it seems like Apple's users need to have deeper pockets to keep up with things moreso, no matter what kind of (low-end, high-end) user you think you are.

But hey, for the price on this one, I'll have to bite..
  • Reply 43 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

I've got the hardware, if I did have Lion on it, and my HD was wiped out, does that mean I have to do a SL, then Lion installation?

Burn Lion to a disc once you download it.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

Burn Lion to a disc once you download it.

But see, the question is, is it installable as a stand alone? I mean, if there's a requirement to have SL, it is simply because Apple's forcing everyone to go through the mac app store for purchasing, and Leopard can't do that? Because if that's the case, can't I buy Lion from someone else once it's available, or will Apple only authorize people to use the OS software through the fair play thing when downloading?

I like the perceived anonymity when buying the the dvd from the store/website..
  • Reply 45 of 47
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

But see, the question is, is it installable as a stand alone?

Of course it is. How else could you do a clean install? I've done five clean installs with the developer previews already.

Quote:

I mean, if there's a requirement to have SL, it is simply because Apple's forcing everyone to go through the mac app store for purchasing, and Leopard can't do that?

That is absolutely the only reason.

Quote:

Because if that's the case, can't I buy Lion from someone else once it's available

You won't be able to buy it from anyone else. If someone's "selling" it, it'll be on a blank DVD-R.

Quote:

or will Apple only authorize people to use the OS software through the fair play thing when downloading?

FairPlay isn't applied to an OS.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:

Of course it is. How else could you do a clean install? I've done five clean installs with the developer previews already.

That is absolutely the only reason.

You won't be able to buy it from anyone else. If someone's "selling" it, it'll be on a blank DVD-R.

FairPlay isn't applied to an OS.

Yes, so I'm still wondering, "hey I'll go over to someone else's computer, buy Lion through the mac app store, save it, and installing it on my computer". There's no legal issues with that I hope.. In fact, let me go to the Apple store with blank media..

See if I need to buy SL, it's only to buy the "mac app store" app. To me that's ludicrous..
  • Reply 47 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Yes, so I'm still wondering, "hey I'll go over to someone else's computer, buy Lion through the mac app store, save it, and installing it on my computer". There's no legal issues with that I hope.. In fact, let me go to the Apple store with blank media..

See if I need to buy SL, it's only to buy the "mac app store" app. To me that's ludicrous..

You're being ludicrous.